Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Alan's 1st place Hobart BR report

AlanJLegend

Well, this is my report;

I woke up at around 7:30am and got out of bed 15 or so minutes later. I had printed out a decklist, put my deck in order and done everything I needed to do the night before. I got up, had breakfast (eggs on toast), Ashley texted me so we chatted for a bit, then I had a shower and pack my bag. Sam got to my house at about 8:50 so away we went. We arrived at the Midcity hotel and set some stuff up. Ty and myself went to get a pie and some snacks, then returned just as rego's were starting. There was a minor hickup with the TOM program, but soon we were underway!

I ran Kingdra

Game 1: Vs Dean w/ Leafeon

The battle begun. I was pretty nervous as I had not played a premier event for a while, so I started off carefully, making sure not to make any misplays. Unfortunately for Dean, he evolved one of his Eevees into Umbreon instead of using CFF. I quickly got a Kingdra out and tore through his Pokes. He was unable to get out a Leafeon Lv.X. I misplayed and announced the wrong attack (grr!), but it didn't really make much difference.

The second game was much closer. Dean got out a Leafeon Lv.X and took quite a few prizes. I can't remember exactly what happened, but I ended up winning.

Good job Dean, playing you was heaps of fun.

1-0

Game 2: Vs Kyle w/ Groudon + Mamoswine

Both games were pretty similar so I won't go into them individually. Mamoswine is one tough card when used right, and as is Groudon. I can't remember a lot of what happened, but I used some perfectly timed Pluspowers to take out his Mamos.

I really liked the concept of this deck. I have thought that Mamoswine seems pretty awesome, albeit kind of slow. Using Groudon to power it up quickly was a very good idea, so props to Kyle (or whoever's idea it was). I ended up winning both games.

2-0

It was then lunch break. I went and got some food with Emma, then got a Gatorade from Banjos. I returned and just hung around for a while until the next round began.

Round 3: Vs Travis w/ Magmortar/Blaziken

Travis and I were both undefeated so this was bound to be an exciting game, and that it was!

We started off and he got the upper hand and took a couple of prizes. Eventually I got out a Kingdra and did Dragon pump...oh wait, I had forgotten to attach my energy :(. A judge was called over and I was given a warning and my turn ended. At this stage I was frustrated because I thought I might have had him, and then I had made a silly mistake. Eventually I dropped a Lake boundary (I love you LB) and started making a comeback. I bridged the prize gap from 5-1 to 1-1. I thought he had me beat and there was no way I could win, but then I noticed if I hit his active Claydol with Dragon pump next turn I could win so long as he didn't bring out his Blaziken. Unfortunately for him he couldn't retreat Claydol and I took it out in an absolute nailbiter!

The second match was a lot quicker. I dropped a Lake boundary and started picking off his pokes. He drew a couple of prizes but not a whole lot.

Great game Travis, you are an awesome player!

3-0

Round 4: Ashley w/ Kingdra

This was awesome! We spend basically the whole time making silly innuendos for basically everything (reverse thrust lol). There's not a whole lot I can really say, except that my deck must have run marginally better and I got my stuff out quicker. I used a few well placed Pluspowers and won both matches.

I was really glad I got to battle you Ashley, you are one of my favourite people to battle. Whenever I hear "Alan Vs Ashley" I know I am in for one heck of a time! Hopefully we can have a rematch in the upcoming events.

4-0

And that was that. After a not being very successful last season (2nd last in rankings in Australian masters, 4th last at nats etc.) I had started off this new season in the best way possible. I was absolutely stoked, and being my first Premier event win it is something I will remember for a long time. Afterwards Emma and I went to see some awesome live music. It was overall a fantastic day.

Props

-Sam and Ty for running/judging
-Midcity hotel for being a great venue
-WINNING!
-Lake Boundary
-Warp point (can change the course of a match)
-Emma's hair/accompaniment to gig
-Emma again for beating Ashley :)
-The fact that 'Alan' won a BR in Queensland. Us Alans are a force to be reckoned with!

Slops

-Not getting a Lv.X from my boosters (although I don't really care)
-Being hungry

Special thanks to
-Sam, for all the help/lifts/friendship over the past year
-Steven, for turning an clueless enthusiastic n00b into a BR winner, as well as being a great friend. I hope to see you around sometime soon.
-Ashley, for being awesome
-Jason W for advice

Last edited:
Congratulations man! You are becoming an amazing player! I can't wait to see how well you will do at Nationals next year!

By the way, what did you play?

Back