Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

"Almost" Moments

Emilia

Have you ever found yourself tantalisingly close to a rare card, but found it just beyond your reach? After a hiatus since Great Encounters, I've recently found myself back to playing and collecting Pokemon. On eBay a few days ago, I came across someone selling off their son's binder of cards. There was no list and only one photograph, but I could see from the top page alone several full arts, in-circulation exes, and rare OOC Lv. X and older ex cards. The starting bid was 99p.

I placed a bid of £7, but the phone rang as the auction reached its final minutes, and it went for £8 - probably the worth of one of those cards alone, by liberal valuations - to somebody else.

I once saw a 7 day auction with 6 days left on ebay. The listing was poorly worded and the first picture was just a close up shot of a base set Dewgong. Starting bid was like .99, buy it now was $23.

The auction was for approximately 100 base and jungle set cards. Included were approximately 5 holographics. One was an error ninetales.

I immediate hit the buy-it-now. I could not believe the auction went a full day without someone checking the listing.

Seller had never sold anything on ebay before, and did not set-up his paypal account correctly. He never responded to my messages. In fact, he has not been back on ebay since. So close, yet so far.

OP should look into auctionsniper... :)

The really frustrating thing is that I do use my father's AuctionStealer account, but on this occasion didn't want to land his eBay account with my expenses. I should look into getting one myself.

That kind of thing only happened to me once in Pokemon. It was at Worlds a couple years ago and someone had a few various Japanese trophy cards for sale. Most of them were far more expensive than I'd care to pay (all worth their asking price of course), but he also had the promo (not set version) Shining Magikarp for $100. I had never even heard of it until I asked my friend about it a few days later, which I then found out that it's going for up to $1000. It was there for a good 10 minutes after I asked about it before someone else bought it. I really wish I knew what it actually was at that time.

he also had the promo (not set version) Shining Magikarp for $100. I had never even heard of it until I asked my friend about it a few days later, which I then found out that it's going for up to $1000.

As I do believe someone would sell a Fan Club Magikarp for $100, great deal by the way, they don't sell for $1000. As Cbd1235 mentioned here they typically sell for $400+. One of the more recent Fan Club Magikarp's which sold was a PSA 9 for $450. You may be mistaking the Fan Club Magikarp's price for the very sought after University Magikarp which will surpass $1000 easily.

As I do believe someone would sell a Fan Club Magikarp for $100, great deal by the way, they don't sell for $1000. As Cbd1235 mentioned here they typically sell for $400+. One of the more recent Fan Club Magikarp's which sold was a PSA 9 for $450. You may be mistaking the Fan Club Magikarp's price for the very sought after University Magikarp which will surpass $1000 easily.

No, I definately meant the Shining Magikarp and not the Universirty one. I couldn't find a recent price for the Shining Magikarp from my brief checking on US sites so I went with Yahoo Japan's price. And one (non-graded) recently had a high bid of $1000 on there (I didn't check what it finally ended at though).
But it's good to know that it's not worth that much and that the one that sold for $1000+ was just a fluke or something. Now I won't have to overpay when/if I find another one cheap.

I was bidsniped on a PSA 10 Jirachi Secret Rare from Team Aqua Vs. Team Magma... I cried for about 5 minutes. I had been watching the auction for about 2 weeks, and had bid $150. :(

Back