Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

And *Another* Milford, MA Gym Challenge Report

Monkey

<a href="http://pokegym.net/gallery/browseimages.p
Wow, what a wild day I had yesterday! >_< I was thinking about this tourney for weeks as this would be only opportunity to win a trip to Florida. I decided to play a GEX deck because since I had no Blazikens, I figured Gardy would be the next best thing. Here is my deck that I played with:

The Psychic Duck Thingy (Thanks for help with the name nick the IDIOT and
=-->]-[0t (V)uSt|d<--=!) :D

4 Ralts SS
2 Kirlia Super Psy
3 Gardevoir
2 GEX
4 Wynaut
3 Wobbuffet SS
1 Ditto

4 Pokemon Reversal
4 TV Reporter
3 Oak's Research
3 Rare Candy
2 Pokemon Fan Club
2 Desert Shaman
2 Switch
1 Crystal Shard
1 Elm's Training Method
1 Town Volunteers

14 Psychic
4 Boost

Before I begin the report I would like to thank these people so much:

|PoKeY|- For letting me borrow 2 boost energies. I let him borrow a BEX in return.
Flare Starfire- For letting me borrow 2 Pokemon Reversals that I still need to give back to him. >_<
BJJ763- For advice on my deck. It helped very much! ;)

Round 1: |PoKeY|- Blaziken Varient w/ Rayquaza and BEX and super secret tech.........

I got off to a good a start. He got a second turn BEX. I started a Wobby swarm. I know we eventually tied in prizes once he got a Blaziken out, but I eventually won in the end. And too bad he didn't get to use his super secret tech... Team Aqua's Cacnea! 1-0

Round 2: =-->]-[0t (V)uSt|d<--=- Kingdra ex

I got off to a good start also this game with a Wynaut I believe. Apprently, all his 3 Kingdra exs were in his prizes... Ouch! I just kept on attacking with my Wobb and GEX and won. 2-0

Round 3: Jerry- Sceptile/Muk ex

We both started with no bench, and thats how it ended that way. The game didn't take that long as he had KOed my Wobby with a Energy Trans Seceptile. I had no bench, so he won. 2-1

Round 4: Alex- Magneton/Omastar/Amphros ex/Catty

He really didn't get any drawing power. I didn't see his Amphros ex either. I eventually won with my Wobby, and GEX at the end of the game. 3-1

Round 5: Steve- BAR w/ Bex

I was surprised we were doing another round. We had an undefeated winner. But I think we had a lot of people who were 3-1. So I don't know if that would be a good or bad thing for me. My opponent Steve was 2-2, and was hoping to get into the top 8 also. So basically the winner had the best shot at the top 8.

In the begining, I took an early lead with my Wobby. I really don't remember a lot of the details that happened durting the middle of the game until he caught up at the end. I made a stoopid mistake which almost cost me the game at the end. I had a GEX ready to Psy Storm his BEX. He warp pointed, so I sent out a Ralts. He took out the BEX and Volcanic Ashed my Gex. I retreated took out my Gex hoping to blow up his BEX. I psy shadowed then TV reportered, discarding a Gardy. I then relized after the Psystormthat i would do to it, it would leave him with 140 HP left. I should of seen that before I got rid of the gardy so i can do another psy shadow for the win! :/ Oh well, I hit him for 140. He then retreaed brought out a comubsken, and killed my gex. We were then tied in prizes. I was in shock after i made that mistake. I took out my other Gardy that i had on the bench. I figured the only way I can win now is with a Pokemon Reversal. Now, during this game so far I was 0/3 on Pokemon Reversals. I didn't get 1 heads yet during this game. But I didn't have a reversal in my hand. I knew it was in my deck, so I used desert shamman and I got my last one. I played my last reversal that I had to blow up his Bex..... And it rolled

HEADS!!! OMG GOD LOVES ME!!!! Great Game!!! Wow best one I had all day! I can't believed I recovered from the UBER mistake I made! Im heading to the finals! I can't believe it! 4-1

Finals

Rd. 1 Game 1 vs Cherryl- GEX w/ Delcatty

I got a fast Setup, and she got a slow one. I eventually won.

Game 2: This was a really fast game. She let me go first. It was Wynaut vs. Wynaut. I smiled for a Wobb. I prayed that she didn't get a basic. She didn't. Next turn, I evolved, and boosted for the win. I had a similar game like this later....

Rd. 2 Game 1 vs Johnny Blaze- Sceptile

I frogot the details about this game except that I got a good setup, while he didn't seem to get anything going.

Game 2: This was a much longer game than the last one. This went back and forth. He got a much better setup this game. At the end we both had 1 prize each. And it was his Rare Sceptile vs. My Gardy. If I could survive its attack, I could of KOed the Sceptile next round. Johnny got 2 heads, (I think he only needed one.) KOed my gardy and won game 2.

Game 3: We only had 5 minutes left. I went first with a Wynaut and Smiled for Wobby. On my next turn, I didn't get a boost, so I did another alluring smile. Next turn, John evolved into Garvoyle. He passed. I evolved and was trying to think if i should do Flip over or not. He had the fury cutter grovyle, and needed 1 more energy to use it. I figured that if I used Flip over he might get lucky and get all 4 heads, koing it. I decided to pass. Next turn he evolved into rare Sceptile and boosted flipping both tails. Maybe I should of used Flip over. I drew a card, and then time was called. This was the last turn. Unless I KOed something, we would go into sudden death. I then thought I can win this if I had a reversal since he had some Treckos on his bench. I didn't have a reversal in my hand though. But I could atempt to get one because I had a shaman. I went for it. What do you know, my 3rd card was a Pokemon Reversal! I used it and I got....

HEADS! I took out the Trecko and KOed it. I won game 3 with no time left! Wow great game John!

Rd. 3 Game 1 vs. Mike- Blaziken/Ampharos

Wow. I was surprised that I made it this far! After all this luck I had all day, I thought God was on my side!:p Anyway, I didn't get a great set up this game. I just kept on trying to stay alive. I used Hypnosis on his BEX, hoping to stall for a few rounds. It worked. I finally got a GEX out and took out his BEX. But I eventually lost in this game.

Game 2- I was getting really worried. One loss and im out. So I decided to go first. And remember the game 2 against Cherryl where it only took 2 turns? Yeah, the same thing happened except it was against a Torchic!

Game 3- Ok this was it. Do or die time! But it was die time for me. I got a horrible start. And no draw power throughout the game. He got almost a perfect start, and I just tried to stay alive, praying that a miracle happens. Well, it didn't. I lost, and I don't even think that I drew a prize... The only highlight of that game was when I put his Blazeiken to sleep and it took about 6 or 8 turns (I wasn't counting) in order for it to wake up! The Blaziken woke up when Mike used my dice. Go figure.... :rolleyes:

Oh well. I was so close, but couldn't pull off the win. Congratulations though to Mike! He did deserve it! Im just shocked through all the mistakes and luck I had all day, I made 2nd place! I don't know what im going to do now. Im trying to get my parents to vacation in Orlando this summer, but I would still need to somehow get an invite... :/ Oh well. I had a great time though! I also won a state championship poster in a raffle. And its proudlly hung up right next to me, as I type this report! Congratulations again to Mike! Good luck in Orlando! ;)

Props:

TJs for holding a great event like always!
Brian's Advice on my deck.
For |PoKeY| and Mike for letting me borrow those cards!
The poster that I won.
My dad for taking me.
Mike for winning it all.
My super UBER luck I had...

Slops:

My mistakes that I did.
Rare Sceptile :p
I never really used my shard or ditto all day.
The only ex I pulled in my packs was a Cradilly... My 6th one! :mad:

-Monkey

*EDIT- I filled in somethings I forgot. Thanks everyone for helping me.

Last edited:
Hey Allen, great report. That was a great game. (This is Stephen, by the way) I still can't believe that last game. Not that I didn't make my own share of mistakes, I had a Flaffy and Oracle that I should have played before I Flared that GEX, although it didn't matter in the end. You forgot that you pulled the reversal off that Shaman, BTW. Just a bit more luck, although it made up for the three you missed. Great game, probally the best I've had in years, and that's saying something. I'll always remember the look on your face as you realize that you've just tossed the Gardy that could have won you the game, and then you went and won anyway!

Last edited:
Monkey - What a nerve racker huh? Also I had the chance to win Game 3 by attaching a Boost to the Rare Sceptile (Energy Trans) and flipped both Tails. Then what amazing luck to pull a Reversal off of a Shaman and get heads with no time left. Congratulations on your 2nd place showing with little practice on the deck. You did great.

Darkash said:
Hey Allen, great report. That was a great game. (This is Stephen, by the way) I still can't believe that last game. Not that I didn't make my own share of mistakes, I had a Flaffy and Oracle that I should have played before I Flared that GEX, although it didn't matter in the end. You forgot that you pulled the reversal off that Shaman, BTW. Just a bit more luck, although it made up for the three you missed. Great game, probally the best I've had in years, and that's saying something. I'll always remember the look on your face as you realize that you've just tossed the Gardy that could have won you the game, and then you went and won anyway!

O yeah, did shaman for the reversal. >_< Thanks for reminding me. But it defenitly was a great game though!

JohnnyBlaze said:
Monkey - What a nerve racker huh? Also I had the chance to win Game 3 by attaching a Boost to the Rare Sceptile (Energy Trans) and flipped both Tails. Then what amazing luck to pull a Reversal off of a Shaman and get heads with no time left. Congratulations on your 2nd place showing with little practice on the deck. You did great.

Ah yes, I remember that you did that in Game 3 now. I need to take better notes... But yeah, that was just an example of the luck I had all day! We played an awsome 3 games! Especially the 2nd game which took a while!

Amoeba said:
Monkey - thanks for forgetting most of our match (round 3) and congrats for making it the final 2.

:/ Sorry about forgetting most of the match. I just remember we both never had a bench and you won that way. Congratulations though on making the top 4! Too bad you had to face Mike though in it...

Thanks again everyone! ;)

awesome report monkey and great job on 2nd place. I heard you and mikew went to a great 3 rounds. Hope you get the chance at worlds at another event. I also played gardy ex but due to soem of the cards i was missing i didnet have the ultimate deck and made 2-3. Good luck on trying to get the invite monkey.

Hey Monkey,

Good report!

With respect to Worlds at Orlando, I heard that the Friday before the tournament begins they are going to have a "pre-worlds" tournament, with invitations to Worlds going to those who win. (Soooo, maybe there's hope going that route).

- Tony

Go monkey go....

=/

ya i kind of was hoping that our match wouldve ended in a tie, and i was trying, but couldnt get it out. :-(
I think we both wouldve had an enormous advantage and wouldve been 5-6 seeds going in.
But good report. It stinks that u lost

DarkTyranitar said:
Hey Monkey,

Good report!

With respect to Worlds at Orlando, I heard that the Friday before the tournament begins they are going to have a "pre-worlds" tournament, with invitations to Worlds going to those who win. (Soooo, maybe there's hope going that route).

- Tony

Yeah, I heard of that last chance tourney. But i'm actully going to try to get into the top 16 in my age group to hopefully get an invite. Im sure there would be a ton of people there anyway hoping to get an invite the day before Worlds begins. But if worse comes to worse, i'll have to play in it.

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
Back