Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Andy'S UK Masters Second Place Report

afirule

So for ages now me an Russell have been working on Lati.dec. I have a few other things built- Flycat, Shiftry, and an SD (Licki-ray d) i had for ages. I seriously contemplated Flycat and Shiftry but then realised Lati's true versatility-> the fact that it can deal with rogue REALLY WELL. So....after a lot of testing this week- me and Russell go with an almost identical list. Kish goes with my shiftry, Ian e with my SD. Flycatty is lonely....

We get there for 9:30, and the tournament gets underway in a very timely fashion! The best thing bout the morning was the fact that Dave Schwimmer was there!!!! And he says the word "turrnament". Simple things please simple minds :D LEGEND!!!!

Before this starts- IM USELESS WITH NAMES

Round 1- Nathaniel with Grass/Fighting deck
I sweep this one quickly using Latias d ex to take out a meg ex- the only thing that really threatens this game. I think Nathaniel went on to win a few more so GJ to him! 1-0

Round 2- Paul? with Banette ex/basic techs
He cant get any draw this game so im able to make pretty much a clean sweep with Latias d ex, and i Ice Barrier wen needed to deny him any Kos 2-0

Round 3- Mick Arnold with Shiftry
I had tested this matchup thoroughyl throughout the week and i had Groudon ex to deal with it perfectly! Mick being mick of course plays some tricksy little techs that I werent expecting- e.g. a crystal beach! but luckily i cud play out of them. 3-0

Round 4- Johvan R with Raieggs
OMG OMG OMG!!! Both Russell and I knew that this was our autoloss! We tried and tried to find ways around it but really consigned it to a AL. So we set and i have a crappy start. However, i wait and wait for the cessation crystal...BUT NONE COMES. I start taking KOs- he zzaps and i know i need to KO the raichu there and then. Misplay on my mentor and have to LUGIA it lol! he cant get ANYTHING and i take 6 prizes ftw! :D SOOOO LUCKY 4-0

Round 5- Can't remember his name- SORRY! with Shiftry
I got the continual kos on his pokemon, and ice barriered the rest of the time. A fairly comfortable win. 5-0

Round 6- Sami something with Absolutions :tongue:
My only loss in Swiss came to Sami. Played the match perfectly- Vap ex at exactly the right time to screw me. I got him down to 2 prizes, and then he mullered me. Oh well- i dint really care as id made cut.... 5-1

So i made cut in Second Place. Top 8 (my target for this year....) looked like this-
1 Sami- Absol
2 Me- Lati
3 Ryan- Bandoom
4 Bruce- Flygon d with ray d (not quite r-gon....)
5 Ren- mewtrick
6 Daryl- Banette w meta dx
7 Scott- Gardy ex d
8 James- Ttar ex d

After David Schwimmer himself- LEGEND!!! checked my deck and Sami cheated with a 59 card list :tongue::tongue: We got underway, and Im playing for a trophy.....

Top 8- Scott with Gardy d ex, Gardy d, a delta engine, lugia ex
Scott is an excellent player from the Northern leagues who builds really great decks! So much respect for this man- true Manchester gent!
Game 1- OMG OMG OMG i thought id lost the match after this game. Not one, but two Gardy d's!!!!!!!! I think i make all the right plays, but totally underestimate the versatility of his deck. He gets me with two stinking Gardy d's, and a lugia ex to take the last prize..... I've mentally lost at this point..... 0-1
Game 2- This game goes so much better. I get the t1/2 double energy drop,a dn clear his basics. He concedes. Right, im back in this- 1-1
Game 3- Ok this is the closest game i have all day!!! I take a bit too long on a play, and im sorry scott- but i wasnt trying to stall i promise! It ends up that i have to send up a mewtwo, bench lugia, briney up the mewtwo, use it, then ko his gardy ex. Most complicated play all day. I have him at the end with a powered latias d ex and a warp point. He has me at one prize, but i JUST win.
2-1

6-1

Top 4- I HAVE A TROPHY!! Daryl with Banette/Metagross DX
Daryl is a good friend of mine, and knows his deck so well- its great!
Game 1- He gets an early banette CG, and i need to KO it quick. So i lanettes- GET THIS- Deoxys EX, Latias d and Latios d ALL PRIZED. :O:O:O Sooooo, i warp him, attach charm, ko a shuppet with ice barrier and draw...latias d :D I take control of this game now and drop two-3 prizes. My Psychic resistance helps me out here, and in all three games. 1-0
Game 2- I shoudl have won this but needed a counter gym at the end to counter MY OWN STUMP lol i need the bench space to mewtwo and attach casty to KO a banette ex for the game but unfortunately cant pull it off.... :( 1-1
Game 3- Crappest way to end a t4 match EVER. he starts with a deoxys ex- i go first. Attach latios d ex, pass. He attaches. I attach, ice barrier. He picks up, passes. I mentor, switch, attach, ko. Sorry Daryl- 2-1

7-1

Final- Sami Sekkoum with Absolutions
Well im pretty much set on Second here. I know that he has a favourable matchup, and hes an AWESOME player.
Game 1- I get him down to 2 prizes, and have an awesome hand ready to finish it there and then. But of course- Vap ex. I had played it silly- using my supporters up wen i shud have been saving them cos of Vap ex. I think i misplayed at one point EEEEK but i cant even remember, and was so tired. He pulls it back. 0-1
Game 2- 14?! turns no energy. GG Sami lol 0-2

7-2

So I only lost to sami all day :D:D:D WAT AN AMAZING DAY!!! 2005- Miss Cut. 2006- T16. 2007- SECOND PLACE!!! :D

Props-
SECOND!!!!
Sami- what a champion that man is....
All the players i hadnt seen since.....ages ago!
Lunch!
A smoothly run event! :biggrin:
Russ for being my deck partner!!!!
DAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Slops-
No goddess. Where was she?
No trip/invite for second place? Thats upsetting..... Im becoming German.....
Crap in my POP5 packs lol

See all you guys next year, and thanks to every last person who patted me on the back, shook my hand, or even just played against me some time this season- its been amazing. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Andy "I'ld be happy with T16" Stone eh??

Congrats man, you totally earned it, been a true pleasure playing/winning/loosing to you so many times this year. Your a good guy with sotg, and didn't let me beat myself up when I was down.

Good luck next year, and congrats.

Congrats Andy, I was very happy to read Kish' text last night with the news :)

You totally deserved it!

Congrats to Sami too... !

(would've been kinda nice to have a different representative this year though..... lol)

Congrats Andy! Great play! You totally deserved it =) Shame 2nd doesn't get trips anymore, but you still did great in a field with so many top-class players.

Btw, I find a Lati deck to be an autoloss to Flygon EX d. Did you just not expect any Flygon decks, or did you have some great techs to have various ways to turn the matchup in your favour? :p

yo man u did brilliant well done shame u didnt win so we had a new champ hope u have loads of sucess in the furture doubt ill c u again sold all me cards yesterdya so im out the running i dont know how he **** i got to top 8 i really dont my deck was so unreliable any how congrats

You had to play Vapyama... Lol joking, GG, too bad there was no trip for second (in France neither :()

<3 Andy.

Seriously, you played brilliantly. I saw your first T4 game vs. Dharyl - you played everything really confidently. It was just a shame I couldn't stay to watch the end and your final match but Scotland is a far way away. :D

Major props to ya - see you next year.

Cole

Good work. Maybe you can make it up to the very top in 2008. Are you going to add this to your Sig? ;)

Back