Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Anti- Kingdra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oliver

Okay..... so I got to thinking about all the Kingdra, and found out the perfect tech. That would be Tentacruel.

Pokemon 17

3 Absol

2 Baltoy
2 Claydol

3 Tentacool
3 Tentecruel

3 Chinchou
3 Lantern

Trainers 25

3 Buck's Training
4 Bebe’s Search
2 Professor Rowan
4 Professor Oak's Visit
2 Cynthia’s Feelings
3 Warp Point
2 Night Maintenance
4 Evoluter
2 Devoluter

Energy 18

3 Call Energy
10 Water
5 Lightning

Okay, I know that it could sound wierd, but Tentacruel puts the energy Kindra shuffles in on the bench. Maybe you could stack all the energy on Claydols if they run it. Shedninja is in there to make Kingdra get confused, so that way Tentacruel can use Dangerous Poison so now Kindra can't do anything!

Total destruction of Kingdra!

Little Fish!

Last edited:
Or you could play Lanturn and take advantage of the energy you're placing via tentacruel as well as have a solid attacker Kingdra is weak to.

if you want the whole tentacruel thing, lanturn might be better to complement it, plus it does 60 damage for one energy to the active kingdra and kingdra can't one shot it, i'd also lose the rowans, the shednija lines, the 1 candy, and absols (although absol is pretty good with tentacruel) and fit in a 2-2 claydol line, max call energy, max bebe's, like 3-4 roseanne's research, and maybe 1 more warp point because of the high retreats, and a chatot for hand refresher/free retreat warpable poke oh and of course replace energies with lightening if u use lanturn. Cool idea though to take the energies that kingdra discards and place it on the oppoenent's pokes, it limits his 1st attack and slowly snipes.

Yeah, I could see lanturn, 1 for 60 can really hurt some kingdra decks. I'll keep absol's in there because they are just perfect. Energy for Tentacruel, get rid of trainers, and get rid of evo's fast to burn night maintenances.

I'm puzzled as to why a pokémon that needs the opponent to have energy in their discard is an appropriate counter to a pokémon that can remove energy from their discard pile with an energiless attack?

I'm puzzled as to why a pokémon that needs the opponent to have energy in their discard is an appropriate counter to a pokémon that can remove energy from their discard pile with an energiless attack?

The idea would be to take the energy that the Kingdra player is likely going to be discarding with Dragon Pump and reattach it with Tentacruel immediately following that Dragon Pump. That way the Kingdra player isn't going to always be able to even use its first attack and it is also fueling the Tentacruel/Lanturn combo. Since Kingdra only needs 1 energy to attack, attaching 2 more to it while doing 40 in the process also doesn't even provide them any power (which is something this deck would have to be weary of against other things-- helping power stuff up, I mean).

Of course Dragon Pump doesn't require water energy to be discarded (it doesn't REQUIRE a discard at all if you just want to do 40...) so the Kingdra player could just stick to ditching other stuff to avoid getting punished like that so easily, but most of the Kingdra builds I've seen on this board as well as the ones I've been toying with myself run 15+ water energy and rely on using it to trigger full Dragon Pumps while not having a ton of other cards to just continually discard. Basically Tentacruel forces the Kingdra player to deal with having its energy discarding used against it, or discard other cards that are likely not that expendable. Plus of course there is the issue of weakness that Lanturn hits. With the help of Tentacruel, Lanturn easily becomes a OHKO machine against Kingdra even with no water energy attached (Tentacruel attaches 2 and deals 40, Lanturn comes out later to do 90 with weakness with Aqua Bolt for a KO).

As for changes I would make to the deck, I don't think it needs the Evoluter TM nor 4 Warp Point (I'd drop 1). It could use 4 Roseanne's, however, especially since you're running multiple kinds of basic energy. Multi energy could also come in handy since I'm pretty sure the wording on Aqua Bolt means that 1 Multi and 2 water would do 90 instead of having to get 3 water and an electric on it to do that same amount. I don't see why 2-2 Claydol isn't included either. Claydol, as tiring as it is to see, is just one of those cards that's too good to leave out unless there's some extremely good and unique reason for the omission, and I can't see it here. I'd drop the 4 Oak's for it. A tech water Lanturn could also be thrown in to add further energy manipulation especially if you didn't get an Absol start and your opponent isn't playing something that discards a lot of energy. Another tech that would help you spread is Spiritomb. You run enough basics to make the chances of opening with it pretty low too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back