Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Anti-speed decks?

Renzo

So I'm trying to make a deck for next season (MD-on). My sister is using Rampardos, and all my attempts to win against the deck has been in vain. I haven't faced one, but I'm sure Kingdra is the same thing. So, how would one counter these T2 donk decks and be able to set up and go for the kill?

Mr Mime MT is the obvious counter to cheap attacking Pokemon.

It isn't for sure that next season will be MD-on, btw.

Against Rampardos you really only have two options, #1 outspeed them or #2 play something grass that hits their weakness hard. I'm sure that someone will post here saying that Rampardos is not consistent and that you can just outlast it ... but that's not going to hold true every game.

Kingdra is actually a bit easier. You can limit spread with stuff like Abomasnow or Manectric. It has trouble with stuff like Gigas that heals itself. It's actually a bit faster and more consistent than Rampardos most of the time though.

And Mr. Mime does NOT work against Rampardos. Rampardos' body lets his attacks go right though.

Hmm... I played a variety of decks against my sister's Rampardos, and she won 9.9/10 times. What do you mean by inconsistent?

And Mr. Mime does NOT work against Rampardos. Rampardos' body lets his attacks go right though.

Ooops, I forgot about that :redface:

It does work against Kingdra though.

Rampardos is *supposedly* inconsistent because it is a Fossil. Fossil Pokemon are harder to get out because Trainer cards are not as easily searchable as normal Basics. They also make for sucky starting Pokemon.

They also make for sucky starting Pokemon.

I disagree about that...

When I ran Omastar tech, I never had a problem when starting with Helix Fossil. If I had a Call Energy, it was even better. Just drop a Call Energy on the fossil, pull up a couple bench pokes, let them deal the 10-40 damage to the fossil (assuming i'm not playing a T1 Machamp or whaterver.) Then just discard it and the Call Energy away to the discard pile. Fossil Excavator can conveniently pull from either the discard or the deck, so it hurts very little to have it in there.

And, Dome Fossil is better, since it's the focus of the deck. Just drop the fighting energy on it and it's Cranidos, a pokemon that is reasonably donk-resistant. And, since Rampardos is the focus of the deck, rather than a tech, you'll be sure to have 4 Excavators so that, if you'd rather set up on the bench, you can still feel free to discard the Active Fossil to move up the Benched Rampardos. Much better than having to Night-Maintenance then search. And certainly better than trying to rely on SSU's flippy-ness.

Dialga G + Skuntank G = Anti-Rampardos. Just swarm Dialgas and lock the trainers/stadiums until their Rampa gets KO'd via poison.
Unown G = Anti-Machamp.
Mr. Mime = Anti-Kingdra.

Gastly = Anti-Rare Candy.
Dialga G = Anti-Rare Candy AND BTS.

They keep getting harder and harder to counter though... Shedinja would be interesting agaisnt Rampa - 80 dmg to self from KO.

^^Dome Fossil goes to Kabuto, not Cranidos. Cranidos's fossil is the crappy Skull fossil that has you flip for damage if you get hit.

So I'm trying to make a deck for next season (MD-on). My sister is using Rampardos, and all my attempts to win against the deck has been in vain. I haven't faced one, but I'm sure Kingdra is the same thing. So, how would one counter these T2 donk decks and be able to set up and go for the kill?

Four Call Energy is your answer. Seriously it has saved me many times against Kingdra, Machamp and Rampardos.:thumb:

gastly SF destroys speed decks with it's first attack Pitch Dark, which prevents your opponent from playing trainers (rare candy, luxury ball, poke drawer +, etc) . This gives you plenty of time to set up while they are stuck playing just supporters.

Last edited:
Rampardos is pretty fast, but slower than Kingdra and less consistent because it comes from a fossil.

Same HP, but rampardos damages itself and has a much worse late-game because it lacks spread and a nice OHKO move that DOESN'T damage itself.

Rampardos is cute at best.

How to counter them? Outplay them? They sort of have damage caps that aren't high and can almost never OHKO a main attacker. Play accordingly.

Rampardos is pretty fast, but slower than Kingdra and less consistent because it comes from a fossil.

Same HP, but rampardos damages itself and has a much worse late-game because it lacks spread and a nice OHKO move that DOESN'T damage itself.

Rampardos is cute at best.

How to counter them? Outplay them? They sort of have damage caps that aren't high and can almost never OHKO a main attacker. Play accordingly.

Ryanvergel ftw.

Just send up chump blockers, in essence, while you charge a main attacker.

with a fast shaymin/beautifly/torterra/sceppy or any of that it is quite easy with 4 energy and a bucks or pluspower a beautifly can OHKO a pardos.

So, it sounds to me that Gastly is the general anti-speed guy. Would running 4 Gastly as starters do any good?

The problem with that is that Rampardos can 2hko anything. And they're usually being swarmed. Even if you survive a hit, you'll get KO'd next turn, which will stop you from setting up.

The problem with that is that Rampardos can 2hko anything. And they're usually being swarmed. Even if you survive a hit, you'll get KO'd next turn, which will stop you from setting up.

A number of pokemon can THKO anyone, fortunately Rampardos is left with 90 hp after he kills something, AKA very easy to kill, since any deck that can't do at least 80 damage per turn is rarely competitive, baring spread decks of course.

I see...

But the problem is surviving long enough to be able to set up and actually do 90 damage.

Back