Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Any psychology students? Need ideas for assignment (Pokemon related)

AlanJLegend

Hey guys,

In sports science we are doing the sports psych unit, and are currently doing a major assignment. Basically, the class will be taking some memory tests that contain different amounts of rehearsal time, number chunked together, distractions etc. I need to put together a hypothesis in regards to one of these factors, then do a write-up. Part of this write-up is going into how it relates to a sport of your choice. I had a chat to my sports science teacher about whether I can do Pokemon TCG...he said as long as I take into account that he doesn't understand the game and explain anything properly, it's fine!

I'm thinking the easiest hypothesis would be one about distractions, however rehersal and chunking may have some merit to them. Basically, I'm wondering if anybody with an education in psychology (I did it last year but I'm no expert) has any ideas of what I could talk about in regards to how they relate to Pokemon TCG, examples etc.

Any suggestions/help would be appreciated! Thanks.

I took AP Psychology, and good for you for thinking outside the box and bringing Pokemon into a classroom. :)

I think it'd be fun to write about the mental strain of tournaments and the bluffing/fakeouts that are more common in top cuts. Something about how you have to anticipate the common techs in a deck and be prepared for them when they come out, or how you have to reevaluate your strategy if something you weren't prepared to see hits the field. Whether to play your Luxray Lv. X in a mirror match when your opponent has out 3 sp and a hand of 8, etc.

you could talk about card "fads" that is the popularity of certain cards skyrockets in a very small period of time

My girlfriend's studying psychology and she think it's a really cool idea :D

She said:

Maybe your hypothesis could center around how the TCG uses short term and long term memory through gameplay
For example:
LTM: Developed strategies, general TCG knowledge, rules of the game, rehearsal from playtesting and how this incorporates into LTM
STM: Thinking on the spot, Damage counting, what you learn as you play, adapting and learning from new cards you havnt played against etc

In terms of distraction you could also center a hypothesis around this. It obviously influences gameplay which is why in major tournaments no spectators are allowed.
However, I think this is more to do with concentration levels rather than memory recall so it would be up to you to find a link there.

However, as cool as it would be to conduct an assignment and research based around the pokemon TCG, something you love, I think that it will be fairly difficult. Obviously bearing in mind that you are a small minority, if not the only student there that fully understands the game. It will take some patience and learning for your classmates to get at the stage where they have enough knowledge and skill to participate in your study.

Maybe it's appropriate to use really early cards that are simple and not competitive and therefore easier to use within the study. Or maybe you could even use that as an IV by seeing how degrees of complexity in what you have to rehearse and apply affects how well you can recall the information?

But go for it, it sounds like a challenge and a lot of fun :D
Hope this helps

Back