Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Arceus "Hit-and-Switch": Is it viable?

Jupiter

I posted this on another Pokemon site but I'm also posting it here to get a different set of opinions.

I'm making this Arceus deck for fun. On paper, it seems pretty good. I've yet to test it out on anything but I feel that with a little tweaking, this strategy could be somewhat viable.

The "Ripple Swell" strategy, to me, is way too slow. I instead went for a "hit-and-switch" strategy.

I chose the Arceus' that would match the weaknesses of the most played decks in my area. You can adapt this concept as well and just switch out any Arceus you'd like, except for the key players: :lightning: and the Omniscient Lv. X.

The List

Pokemon:
6x Any Arceus combination that matches the weakness of most of the decks played in your area
2x Arceus :lightning: - Main guy in the strategy and Kingdra/Gyarados counter
2x Arceus Lv. X (Omniscient)
2x Mr. Mime, MT - Switched in between turns
2x Mr. Mime, SV - Switched in between turns
4x Spiritomb, AR - Switched in between turns
3x Unown Q

Main T/S/S:
4x Beginning Door
3x Expert Belt
3x Snowpoint Temple - Together with Expert Belt, Arceus Lv. X will have a respectable 160 HP. This can be replaced easily with "Ultimate Zone" in order to quickly charge another Arceus if you need to.

Main Energy:
4x Lightning Energy

Strategy:
Power/Level up and Belt the Arceus that matches your opponent's weakness. Using "Omniscient", use :lightning: Arceus's "Lightning Turn" attack to deal 30+20+(Weakness) damage as well as switching your active Arceus with Mr. Mime MT, Mr. Mime SV or Spiritomb; whichever you need/are using at the moment. With this strategy, your opponent is constantly under some form of stall on their turn while you're hitting for their Weakness on your turn.

The reason I have so many Mr. Mime/Spiritombs is so I can have the ability to pick and choose which form of stall/wall I'd like to put my opponent behind. If my opponent's attacker hits big (70+), I'll play Mr. Mime, SV and stop him in his tracks. If my opponent's attacker uses little energy to attack, I'll use Mr. Mime, MT and stall a few turns with him. In the early game, I'll play Spiritomb to slow my opponent down. It's a very flexible strategy and helps you conform to almost any situation you're in.

Any thoughts on this strategy? Could this be a viable Arceus deck or would this strategy just break under the current meta? Any input is appreciated. =)

Last edited:
I just want to point out that Mr. Mime SV can be hit by:

Donphan's first attack (potential flash bite)
Gyarados with 2 karps (+flash bite)
Jumpluff's second attack
Luxray's Flash Impact (+flash bite)

I just want to point out that Mr. Mime SV can be hit by:

Donphan's first attack (potential flash bite)
Gyarados with 2 karps (+flash bite)
Jumpluff's second attack
Luxray's Flash Impact (+flash bite)

You're right; there's a lot of things that can kill that Mr. Mime very easily. It all just depends on what you're opponent is using. I'd only use Mr. Mime SV when the time calls for it; my opponent has three Magikarp in their discard and their Turn's are all used up. My opponent Belt's their Donphan Prime and doesn't utilize Bat drops. A handful of T/S/S that'll land my opponents Gengar a big hit. Mr. Mime SV wont be something I'd rely on all the time, just when I know I'm going to get use out of him.

I guess through more play testing I can see what I need to drop/add. I just posted this on here to view the opinion of others and to get this strategy criticized. I haven't seen this Arceus strategy played yet, so I thought I'd share my idea and see what people thought. Thanks for your input though. It makes me wonder if I should drop a Mr. Mime SV, or drop the SV Mime altogether. =)

Last edited:
Very interesting. You may also consider SW Shuckle for its pokebody (many more people use special energy now thanks to DCE).

This is an old idea that came and went.

You're doing like.. .70 with a belt and Garchomp C just smashes you for a very quick 6 prizes.

You're doing like.. .70 with a belt and Garchomp C just smashes you for a very quick 6 prizes.

You mean the same Garchomp C who gets OHKO'd by this easily?

Do the math here, this Arceus will hit (Considering Expert Belt) for 50. If you hit weakness, usually you hit for 80 or 100. For the grand total of 2 energy. On a basic. Sorry, but I don't call that bad.

I've never seen it discussed on here which is why I posted it. If it's an old idea, then excuse me for bringing up something from the pass.

30 (Attack) + 20 (Belt) = 50 x 2 = 100

Garchomp C has 80 HP. This OHKO's Garchomp C.
Garchomp C Lv. X has 110 HP. Plus Powers, which was brought up in another forum, seems to be looking like a good idea since this deck would be 10 damage short from OHKO's on Garchomp C Lv. X and Luxray GL Lv. X.

Get with the program. Ripple Swell actually BEATS Luxchomp.

This also has the potential to beat LuxChomp. Like I mentioned above, this deck has the potential to OHKO Garchomp C Lv. X/Luxray GL Lv. X while hiding behind walls/stalls. Sure, Bright Look can cause a problem for this deck, but Bright Look causes a problem for a lot of decks. Dragon Rush wouldn't be too much of a problem since it can't OHKO Arceus Lv. X.

Also, this deck isn't as slow as Ripple Swell. I wont need six different Arceus types clogging my play-field in order to begin my setup. I'll just need two; one attacker that matches your weakness and one :lightning: Arceus sitting pretty on my bench. Not to mention just two energy. This leaves my bench open for Uxie's, Claydol, Crobat drops, Lucario GL and other techs.

Even Dialga G Lv. X isn't much of a problem. A :fire: Arceus copying a :water: Arceus attack does 140 damage (with E. Belt) while ignoring special Metal energy. Same idea for Mewtwo Lv. X; a :psychic: Arceus copying a :water: Arceus attack OHKO's Mewtwo Lv. X.

Personally speaking, I believe this deck has a lot of potential with a re-worked list. I'm not the best at making lists, but this strategy can work.

Like Scipio said:
Do the math here, this Arceus will hit (Considering Expert Belt) for 50. If you hit weakness, usually you hit for 80 or 100. For the grand total of 2 energy. On a basic. Sorry, but I don't call that bad.

Last edited:

Rogue, this was taken from your stickied help thread:

Originally Posted by BlippidyBlooo
Anyone who uses that card is retarded.

How does something like that help ANYONE with ANYTHING? Please refrain rendering a useless opinion. This would get you a warning for "posting offtopic/unhelpful remarks."
Now, maybe I'm rules lawyering but come on....your comment wasn't insightful what-so-ever.

Personally, I've never seen this type of deck (with Arceus) and think it is a pretty alright idea, especially when you can factor in exploiting weakness/using less energy/only a basic. I think this is a good topic, whether not it is as good as Cursegar/Glisctomb/Magnezone+Spiritomb.

Dialga g lvx is a problem though because you can't use any of your bodies so you can't copy attacks. When it's run as a tech, you could try to snipe it but it will cause a problem.

Rogue, this was taken from your stickied help thread:

Now, maybe I'm rules lawyering but come on....your comment wasn't insightful what-so-ever.

Personally, I've never seen this type of deck (with Arceus) and think it is a pretty alright idea, especially when you can factor in exploiting weakness/using less energy/only a basic. I think this is a good topic, whether not it is as good as Cursegar/Glisctomb/Magnezone+Spiritomb.

That's a very bad comparison. You should know I'd never try to be nasty like that man.

ANyway... this is EMMmmmm..barrassin'

I didn't read his post well, which is why my response makes absolutely no sense. :/

I was on and off the computer (at work) at the moment i typed that and didn't have time to go into detail.
But.. since you put me on blast, I guess I'll take a moment.

I never once said anything derrogatory toward the guy posting or his idea.

I was trying to relay a big problem people had when they were actually testing the idea of hit and switch electric Arceus ideas out.

I'm sorry if that came across as dismissive or rude. That was not my intention.

You forget, I was the originator of the "BUILD A PERFECT ARCEUS DECK" post awhile ago.
Many people built and played ARceus decks the following weekend for CCs using ideas from that thread!

So, I'm not at all against the guy running Arceus.. lol :rolleyes:

I was typing fast and wanted to let the guy know about a potential road block to his idea.

HAVING SAID THAT...

Jupiter's idea is different than I thought.

I didn't read his post very well.

The setup using OMNISCIENT and firing away with the electric arceus' attack is a hott idea. It has, also, been mentioned before.

I'll see if I can find the link to that old thread so our original poster can grab some ideas there.

I apologize for not reading your post thoroughly before tossing up a response Jupiter.

Last edited:
Get with the program. Ripple Swell actually BEATS Luxchomp.

Ripple Swell FTW.

Honestly, why worry about hit and run when there are so many ways around it? Personally I've said it before and I'll back it up until something forces tme to change it: Ripple Swell is teh best and most consistent build for arceus anything. With that, you don't hinder yourself to just hitting and running away, you can just flat out smash ur opponent from a bunch of different directions until they crumbled at your feet >XD

I feel as though this could benifit from a Lucario GL. I know you have only listed a shell of a deck here, but x2 weakness on all opponents seems like a no-brainer on a deck that is meant to abuse weakness for KOs.

I feel as though this could benifit from a Lucario GL. I know you have only listed a shell of a deck here, but x2 weakness on all opponents seems like a no-brainer on a deck that is meant to abuse weakness for KOs.

Heres a problem though. Name me any card that would be OHKO'd by the aid of Lucario GL which otherwise would not be OHKO'd.
You dont change any 2HKO's to OHKO's, nor do you change 3HKO's into 2HKO's - everything you can hit for weakness WILL go down in 2 hits.
The only notable card that 50 x2 will OHKO is Jumpluff, who already has said weakness.

Back