Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Arceus is not God of the Pokemon World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dioxide

If you think you can compare it to the Hebrew God because it supposedly created the world, then you're wrong. It's just supposed to be the "first" Pokemon.

All of that stuff about the dragons and the lake sprites creating the world is also a myth. Think about it. If Dialga can truly control time, how are you able to catch it? Just as soon as you throw that Pokeball, poof, it disappears. In theory if it is the time Pokemon, it would see everything coming and Cyrus would not be able to use the Red Chain. It would also be able to foresee all attacks and avoid them. Same goes for Palkia. If it can control space, that Pokeball would just disappear. All attacks, gone.

Uxie can defend itself by opening its eyes to make you forget everything, but it never does.

If anything, Arceus is the Adam of the Pokemon world. The storyline doesn't even cover how humans came into being. If it were God, you could not catch him. Even supposing it COULD create a world, that's just too much power for one Pokemon.

Two Pokemon can breed and create an egg, though it's never said that the egg came from them. The egg just magically appears. The same happened with Arceus.

Also note that Bulbapedia does not compare Arceus to God or even call it God:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Arceus_(Pokémon)?action=purge#Origin

God would also not create three beings that could fight Him.

I have made this thread because of posts like this:
Unfortunately, Arceus did not think of that when it gave Machamp Take Out.

What kind of god creates a bring that can kill its creator in one shot?

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think TPCi calls it the "God" of Pokemon. They call it the "Origin Pokemon".

They just call it God because they don't know any better, plus it makes him sound super awesome. It's not really a big deal, anyway.

Depends what you mean by 'god', doesn't it?

There are religions that have many gods which each have different powers and responsibilities (like in Greek and Roman myths). Maybe Arceus, Dialga, and Palkia are that type of god.

Funny how using the word makes some people feel really uncomfortable. It isn't meant to be a serious or disrespectful reference to actual religious beliefs.

Also

God would also not create three beings that could fight Him.

Well, didn't God create Lucifer?

Maybe there isn't a god of Pokemon.
The fact that there are extinct fossilised Pokemon (such as Kabuto or Omanyte) suggest that Pokemon exist in a Darwin-esque universe, where all things happen for a logicial scientific reason (backed up by the many scientific researchers in the games).
Arceus could simply be believed to be a god by some people despite the fact that for the most part he remains unseen, in the same way that Christians believe in God, Buddists believe in Budda etc.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Well, didn't God create Lucifer?

Lucifer was originally an angel, and one of God's top angels.
He just turned against him.

Last edited:
God would create a Pokemon that could fight him, he just wouldn't give it the intentions to. And this doesn't really have anything to do with religion.

And like I said, I don't think Arceus is truly refered to as the "God" of Pokemon, that's just a nice little adaption that we've put on it. (Let me know if I'm wrong, because I'm not 100% sure)

From what I understand the Japanese have a thing for calling certain pokemon "guardians" which for some reason gets translated to "god". This isn't the first time stuff like this happened.- for instance the 5th Japanese movie title "Latios and Latias, Guardians of the Water City" some translator liked putting "Gods of the water city"

Sometimes the pokemon translator people really make big mistakes, like "beast of the sea" and stuff like that. I remember Movie 10 Palkia and Dialga are also were "considered Gods" but personified Time and space.

Most legendaries in the last 3 gens seem to fit the definition of "god" perfectly to me if not your definition. They are all might beings with the ability to create life out of nothing, or to create some other element of life. Many of the pokemon are worshipped or at least recognized as being ridiculously powerful, and only a lucky few even get to see them, and few even believe in them.

Arguing that a master of time can't be caught: What if Dialga knew that you are supposed to be it's master, or that by being caught by you it fulfill it's destiny/purpose of protecting reality? Bringing in ANY all-powerful or near that entity totally invalidates the concept of free-will.

If the future can be known then it is set, and if it is set then there is no free-will.

We are seeing the expanding Pokemon pantheon here, with Arceus taking the place of Cronus.

From what I understand the Japanese have a thing for calling certain pokemon "guardians" which for some reason gets translated to "god". This isn't the first time stuff like this happened.- for instance the 5th Japanese movie title "Latios and Latias, Guardians of the Water City" some translator liked putting "Gods of the water city"

Sometimes the pokemon translator people really make big mistakes, like "beast of the sea" and stuff like that. I remember Movie 10 Palkia and Dialga are also were "considered Gods" but personified Time and space.
Gekijōban Poketto Monsutā Mizu no Miyako no Mamorigami Ratiasu to RatiosuMamorigami means guardian god or guardian gods since its referring to both Latias and Latios.

It's the correct and proper translation. Guardian is not the correct translation of kami no matter what Funimation's Dragon Ball Z dub has taught anyone.

Guardian guardians would be a silly translation anyway.

I thought Kami in DBZ was actually named "Kami" though. Is Kami a title in that sense?
Kami doesn't actually have a name so he just uses his title. However, I distinctly remember them calling him "the guardian of earth" in the dub when his job is actually to be kami, that is, the god of the earth. It is a position, but his position happens to be being god. He totally beat Garlic out for that role and Dende becomes the next kami.

Plenty of other anime have the role of god as some sort of attainable position. The first one that comes to my mind is Ueki no Housoku (The Law of Ueki).

Pokemon Diamond Dex said:
It is described in mythology as the Pokémon that shaped the universe with its 1,000 arms.
Pokemon Platinum Dex said:
It is said to have emerged from an egg in a place where there was nothing, then shaped the world.
...that is definitely a god Pokemon.

Latias and Latios are far from being "Gods" anyway (Even though when 5 came out there was a lot of Hype over them) xD
as they are depicted in the movie they are nothing more than Altomare Pokemon that protect the city..

The one thing pokemon Loves to do is state "in pokemon legend" clearly it's all a myth even in the world of pokemon.

Latias and Latios are far from being "Gods" anyway (Even though when 5 came out there was a lot of Hype over them) xD
as they are depicted in the movie they are nothing more than Altomare Pokemon that protect the city..

The one thing pokemon Loves to do is state "in pokemon legend" clearly it's all a myth even in the world of pokemon.
That really doesn't change the fact that the title of the movie is:
Pocket Monster Theatrical Release: Guardian Gods of the Water Capital: Latias and Latios

Arceus and Mew reeeeeally don't match their stories together very well...

Mew: Ancestor of all pokemon
Arceus: Created all pokemon. ...Including Mew? Even though Arceus is descended from Mew by Mew's definition...? o_O

Arceus and Mew reeeeeally don't match their stories together very well...

Mew: Ancestor of all pokemon
Arceus: Created all pokemon. ...Including Mew? Even though Arceus is descended from Mew by Mew's definition...? o_O
Obviously when Celebi came to be it took Arceus back in time to deliberately confuse us.

You guys are all so wrong. It is obvious who the gods of the Pokémon World are. For those who watched the anime whether back in Kanto or now with Diamond and Pearl. The episodes always started with a loud booming voice AKA the narrator recapping the events and at the ended with the narrator wrapping up the episode. Now how could this character that appears in every episode but has no physical being be anything other then a god. Clearly he knows everything about the people in the show despite never actually interacting with them. Heck the narrator can wrap up with Ash’s gang then immediately switch over to the exact location of where Team Rocket was blasted off too and focus in on them.

Ok so if you are still reading this and thinking about going “hey what about the video game, no narrator there!”
Well when you turn your game on after 4 days, there is a brief recap of that you have been up too…a silent narrator.

Now that being said, the Narrator is not the creator of Pokémon, he is merely the keeper of Time.
There’s more, the Pokémon lore is clearly misinterpreted. It says that 3 ruled and we assume them to be Diagla of Time, Palkia of Space, and Arceus of Orgin and Creation. What it actually meant by 3 rulers is this:

The Narrator, the all knowing of Time
The Illustrator who creates Space

Finally the creator of all Pokemon and the true God of Pokémon:
Satoshi Tajiri

If you guys watched the anime and were with pokemon when it first started, then you would know that MEW was the origional "GOD" of pokemon, in the first pokemon movie you here them say that MEW is the rarest and most powerful of all pokes. (look it up) Arceus and all the legendarys bios(after GSC), have made no sense, MEW is "THE POKEMON" and will always be.

Does everyone agree, or am I wrong?

I know alot of you dont like or care what happens in the anime because it is crap, it was good until ash went to hoenn, but now nintendo is just coming up with new legendarys for the new games and show to make it more interesting.

MEW was the first and best (besides Mew 2)of all legendarys.Period

Last edited:
I'm going to have to say that Arceus is a God in the pokemon world. Why else would the y make a rule for Arceus that allows as many copies of him to be played in a deck? However in terms of when the Anime stopped being good, that was when Ash started letting all his pokemon go. At first it was nice knowing that Ash was different from other trainers and that he could let his pokemon be free. However that fact that he kept on doing it defeats the purpose of being a trainer in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back