Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Aron's Odyssey Chapter 2!

Aron Figaro

Okay, Marril says more commentary so commentary now goes here. :p This one's actually way more plot-oriented than the last one - no real battles here. Dun worry, the action comes back next chapter, and here you see someone very, very plot-centric...

Chapter 2: First Sight

After wolfing down his lunch, Aron smiled gleefully and turned to his mother, who was cleaning up dishes. “So...now that I’m a Pokémon trainer, I should see about catching a Pokémon...I’ve already decided that I want to take the Pokémon League gym challenge, as well,” Aron told his mother.

“The Gym Challenge? Are you sure? It will take you far away from home, and the Viridian City gym is hardly a place to start. Everyone knows how notoriously powerful Gary Oak is,” his mother replied.

“I know, but this is what I’ve always dreamt of. I want to be a great Pokémon Master. I want to compete in the Pokémon League, and win,” Aron said.

“Well if you’re truly that determined, then you should follow your dreams. I don’t think you have to just up and leave right now, though - you still don’t even have a Pokémon!” his mother said, putting away the last of the dishes.

“You’re right. I got my complimentary six Pokéballs from Prof. Sycamore, I think I should go see what I can do with them!” Aron exclaimed, rising from his seat with a smirk. He marched out the door, eager to catch his own Pokémon.

Hmm...now which way should I go? He thought to himself. He could go north, into the forest, south towards Pallet Town, or west, toward Victory Road. He decided to go south - the Pokémon near the main road were more used to humans, and would be easier to catch.

It took him little time to make the trip from Viridian City to Pallet Town, home of the greatest trainer to ever battle in Kanto - Ash Ketchum. He smiled, and decided to drop in on Professor Oak while he was in town - the famous researcher can always use new field assistants, and he needed money for his journey. He walked up to the door of the world-famous lab, and knocked at the door.

“Come in, come in!” a friendly voice called. Aron entered, closing the door behind him, and saw a grey-haired man being chased around a fairly open room by an angry Sneasel. “HELP!” the man called to Aron, obviously in peril.

Aron reacted quickly, as the Sneasel noticed him and began sizing him up. He leapt sideways, snatching up the nearby broom, wielding it as a staff. The Sneasel immediately saw this action as a threat and advanced on him. He jabbed at it a couple of times, and its speed and razor-sharp claws quickly shortened his makeshift weapon. Now the professor had to act fast, before Aron found himself in the same predicament.

The professor, now free, did move quickly - to another of his research Pokémon, one he trusted substantially more. “Hitmontop! Teach this troublemaker a lesson!” he called, sending out the odd-looking Pokémon.

Sneasel spun around just as Hitmontop swung a powerful kick to its head. It skidded backwards and fell. The professor nodded to Aron and smiled. “Thank you,” he said.

“No problem, I was just coming to see if you could use some help, actually,” Aron laughed.

“Oh, are you a student?” Professor Oak asked.

“No, but I’ve heard you often get trainers to do field research for you, and I thought I could offer my services while I was in town,” Aron replied.

“Oh, I see. Well, I guess I can always use more eyes,” the professor said, “you’re hired.”

“You won’t be disappointed,” Aron said smugly, shaking the Professor’s hand.

“For your services, I’ll cover all of your general expenses - Pokéballs, medicines, and such. Also, most Pokémon Centres will let trainers and researchers stay over if they need a place to sleep,” he replied.

“Excellent,” Aron said, “oh, and one more thing? What WERE you doing with that Sneasel?”

“Her? Oh, I was actually just trying to get rid of it - the thing wandered in here two days ago, and has been terrorizing my lab ever since!” the professor exclaimed.

“Why didn’t you say so?” Aron asked, taking a Pokéball from his belt, “If you don’t mind, I’ll gladly take it. It looks very strong, and I’m sure she’ll learn to listen.”

“If you want, but good luck - that one seems like one feisty specimen!” he said.

“Thanks for the advice,” Aron said, throwing the Pokéball at the unconscious Sneasel, “I’m sure I can handle it. If not, it probably needs relocating anyway.”

“Point,” the professor nodded.

“Well then, I’ll be off, and thanks for the Pokémon!” Aron called as he walked out the door.

Just as Aron was starting back toward Viridian City, he was shocked by a sound - gunfire! What is WITH this town? Aron thought to himself as he bolted for cover, and looked around to determine where the shot came from, just as a second shot rang out. After laying low for a moment and hearing no more shots, Aron cautiously came out from behind the trailer where he was hiding and looked around. After a moment of walking around, a trail of blood caught his eye.

He ran to the scene, and saw something he had only heard about in news stories - two Nidoran, one male, one female. The male was on its side, badly injured, the shot having gone through its chest. The female, however, stood defiant in what would be her last moments if no one intervened, the shot having hit her hindquarters. Aron thought quickly, and threw a Pokéball at the male. The female jumped towards it, and kicked the ball out of the air, screeching in pain as it did. Aron looked shocked, and tried to throw a ball at the now-weakened female.

The beam caught the Pokémon effortlessly, drawing it inside. The ball hit the ground and bounced up once, twice...then stopped. Aron then threw a second ball, capturing the male, and scooped them up on the run for the laboratory. When he arrived, he battered the door, shouting for Professor Oak.

“Yes, yes, come in!” The professor responded, and Aron threw open the door, dashing inside. He quickly explained the situation to the professor, about how the two Nidoran had just been shot and needed treatment.

“I can’t do much for them here, but I can buy you some time - put your Pokéballs on the Energizer, and I’ll restore them,” he said. Aron quickly turned over his Pokéballs, and the professor flicked on the Energizer machine.

After a few seconds, the machine beeped and returned Aron’s Pokéballs. He quickly dashed out the door, knowing that proper treatment would be available back in Viridian City. “Thanks professor...pray for them!” he shouted.

Aron ran as hard as he could back toward Viridian City, but he knew he couldn’t keep up the pace for the whole trip. As he ran back, his gaze happened to fall upon the river that ran through Viridian City, and a boat that floated upon it! He quickly dashed to the bank and called out to the young lady fishing from the boat. “Hey! Hey! Can you take me to Viridian City? I’ve got injured Pokémon here, and I need to get there really fast!” He shouted.

Upon hearing his call, the girl immediately sped back to shore, yelling for him to jump in. “What happened to your Pokémon?” She asked as she cranked up the motor and the boat surged forward in the water.

“Believe it or not somebody had the nerve to SHOOT them!” he shouted, obviously panicked by the situation.

“Somebody shot your Pokémon? Why on earth would they do that?” The girl asked, shocked.

“Well, they weren’t mine at the time, I found them like this,” Aron said.

“Well we’d better hurry! There’s no time to lose!” the girl exclaimed as she steered the boat down the river. After a few minutes at top speed, she slowed the boat down and let Aron off on a dock near the Pokémon Centre. Aron jumped from the boat and waved to the girl, rushing off to save his newfound Pokémon. After tying the boat, the girl followed quickly behind.

Aron burst through the doors of the Pokémon Centre, the Nidorans’ Pokéballs in his arms. “Nurse! Nurse! These Pokémon are badly injured, they need treatment NOW!” he cried out.

The red-haired nurse wasted no time scooping up the two Pokéballs and rushing back into the emergency room, a Chansey orderly in tow. Aron heard the sound of Pokéballs opening, and then a scream of shock. “What on earth happened to these Pokémon? Did you do this?” She cried.

“Of course not! I found them injured like that in Pallet Town and came here as quickly as I could!” He shouted back. “Just help them, please!”

The nurse said no more, and immediately went to work. A second nurse took the reception desk, a young man who didn’t look much older than Aron. A moment later, the girl who had helped him ran into the Pokémon Centre. “So will they be okay?” She asked hurriedly.

“We have no idea yet, they’re very badly injured,” Aron said sagely. He took the spare moment to get a better look at the girl who helped him. She had lovely red hair down to her shoulders, a somewhat skinny physique, and what Aron considered to be a very pretty face. Her pretty blue eyes peered at him curiously, and she spoke.

“You in shock or something?”

“Oh...sorry...” Aron replied, blushing.

She just giggled, and smiled broadly. “What’s the matter, haven’t seen a girl before?”

“Not one as pretty as you,” he said, still blushing brightly.

“Oh,” she replied, now blushing as well, “thank you.”

“It’s only the truth,” Aron replied, “think nothing of it.”

She smiled again, and went to sit down. Aron sat down beside her, and turned to look at her again. She looked back at him, and said “so...I guess now we wait.”

“Yeah...I doubt it will be a short operation, either,” he replied.

“Well...I could go get us some dinner if you’re hungry,” she suggested. “By the way, my name is Michelle,” she finished, extending her hand.

Aron blushed slightly as he took her hand and kissed it, saying “I am Aron, pleased to meet you.”

Michelle giggled. “Cute, very cute, Sir Aron,” she said as she stood up and left to get some food.

Aron looked quite pleased with himself, despite the grim situation. Michelle returned quickly, a pizza box in her arms.

“I hope you like pizza, you never told me what you wanted,” she giggled.

“Pizza’s fine, let’s eat!” Aron exclaimed out of hunger. Michelle opened up the box, and Aron immediately dug in. Michelle followed suit, and they quickly devoured the entire pie.

“I haven’t even seen you around before,” Aron started, trying to make conversation, “where are you from?”

“Actually I’m from Cinnabar Island,” Michelle said, “I’m here trying to make my way as a Pokémon trainer.”

“Hey, me too! Where are you headed next? I’m going to Pewter City to challenge the gym there,” Aron replied.

“I’ll probably be headed to Pewter City too, actually - maybe I’ll go along with you,” Michelle told him.

“Well I doubt I’d mind having you along - you seem really nice,” Aron said, smiling at her.

“Thanks...so I guess now we wait, huh?” she asked.

“Yeah...wait and pray,” Aron said, kneeling and saying a short prayer. Michelle knelt beside him and offered a prayer herself, and they both rose together, and sat back down. Suddenly, the lights went out.

Back