ATM Blackfire answer problem

Discussion in 'Ask the Rules Team' started by greenzangoose, Feb 11, 2008.

1. greenzangoose

greenzangoose New Member

I was recently looking through the ATM form and found this slightly older post: http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66783

I have a problem with the answer.

I looked at both Dragon burst and Ancient Mantra on the Raquaza EX and Claydol DX cards and found they had different wordings then Black fire.

Clearly the Claydol's attack is not even close to Houndoom's as it only needs it to be on the pokemon. And Rayquaza's attack would fall under the 'Counts as every energy at once' clause. I am having a problem because the attack says discard one (Fire) or one (Dark) energy. Meaning that you would get to choose to discard it as a (Fire) or a (Dark) but not both.

So, would Multi energy give both of the effects even though it counts as every type? And if yes why?

Thanks for reading such a long question.

2. PokePop

PokePop Administrator

Remember the metarule that a Rainbow-like energy (which Multi is, in this case) counts as every color of energy, all the time. You can't "choose" it to be one color or the other. It always is both colors.
    So, the attack checks to see what you are discarding. What you say doesn't matter.
    It checks and it sees Fire. It checks and it sees Dark.
    So both added effects are done.