Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

ATM Blackfire answer problem

greenzangoose

I was recently looking through the ATM form and found this slightly older post: http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66783

I have a problem with the answer.

Bulbasnore said:
Yep, both effects trigger (burn & extra damage) from discarding, say, Multi Energy. It _is_ in the FAQ, but compare the Compendium EX rulings on Dragon Burst & Ancient Mantra for precedent. Interesting that Dragon Burst was an overrule of a prior, opposite ruling.

I looked at both Dragon burst and Ancient Mantra on the Raquaza EX and Claydol DX cards and found they had different wordings then Black fire.

Claydol's Ancient Mantra said:
If Claydol has any :psychic: energy attached to it, the defending pokemon is now confused. If Claydol has any :fighting: energy attached to it, this attack does 20 damage plus 20 more damage.

Rayquaza EX's Dragon burst said:
Discard all :fire: energies or all :lightning energies attached to Rayquaza EX. This attack does 40 damage times the amount of :lightning or :fire: energies discarded.

Houndoom's Blackfire said:
You may discard a :fire: or a :dark: energy attached to Houndoom. If you discarded a :fire: energy, the defending pokemon is now burned. If you discarded a :dark: energy, this attack does 40 damage plus 30 more damage.

Clearly the Claydol's attack is not even close to Houndoom's as it only needs it to be on the pokemon. And Rayquaza's attack would fall under the 'Counts as every energy at once' clause. I am having a problem because the attack says discard one (Fire) or one (Dark) energy. Meaning that you would get to choose to discard it as a (Fire) or a (Dark) but not both.

So, would Multi energy give both of the effects even though it counts as every type? And if yes why?

Thanks for reading such a long question.

Remember the metarule that a Rainbow-like energy (which Multi is, in this case) counts as every color of energy, all the time. You can't "choose" it to be one color or the other. It always is both colors.
So, the attack checks to see what you are discarding. What you say doesn't matter.
It checks and it sees Fire. It checks and it sees Dark.
So both added effects are done.

Back