Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Attack lock deck for cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigglejuice

I feel like this deck isn't going to move fast enough to do what it needs to. Can you guys give me some feedsback and advice? Thanks!

3x Cobalion
3-2-2 Vilaplume line
3-2-3 Vanilluxe line
3-2 Beartic line
2-2-2 Reinucleus line
1 fliptini
30 Pokemon

3 Interview questions
3 Pokemon communication
3 professor elms
2 Prof. Junipers
2 eviolite

14 Trainers-Supporters

08 water
06 metal
02 rainbow

16 energy

My strategy might be a bit obvious from looking at the list. My ideal situation would be to get out Vilaplume fairly quickly. After that I will seek to lock my opponent into being forced to retreat via discarding energies due to being cut off from switch. My hope is that after enough times of this occuring the opponent's constant energy expense will catch up to them and surrender to attack spam. I want to get eviolite onto Cobalion along with at least one special metal by the time Vilaplume gets out. If I run into one of the popular fire decks I will attempt to get beartic and Vanilluxe going. Fliptini is there to allow me to reflip on Vanillixe's attack. Beartic also allows attack locking and support against fire types.

Reinicleus isn't required for my deck to run at average strength, but it will be helpful if I can basically get Cobalion at 150 hp by getting eviolite and a special metal on him. If I can't be one shot knocked out and can attack lock I feel I will be a very good position. I feel this deck may be a bit slow to get going though. I feel I may be forced to choose between Beartic and Vanilluxe or risk sacrificing consistancy. I have two rare candies ready to go if there is somewhere in my deck I can squeeze them in. I am hesitant to play many trainers due to Vilaplume though. Thank you for any feedback you may have. Good or bad is fine with me. I went 0-5 at cities last week with a completely different deck because I was afraid to ask for help from anybody. I would rather not repeat that!

Last edited:
Honestly, I find a few problems that could slow you down considerably.

Firstly, remove Reuniclus. You don't really need it, as it will just be sitting there taking up necessary space. To further elaborate on this, running 3 Stage 2 lines is very risky without thehelp of Twins, and, more ofthen than not, provide too many issues for the deck and limits its ability to function whatsoever. I suggest you remove it completely, You have way too many Pokemon in an era that feeds on TSS.

-2/2/2 Reuniclus

+Twins x3
+PONT x3

I suggest to find a way to need less Pokemon and put in more Trainers/Supporters to help you get set up easier. Also, Rare Candy is a good card to use while having Stage 2's on your list.

Good idea, and I hope I provided a bit of insight :]

I am no expert at deck doctoring in this format.

but I think 30 pokemon is too much, I think you going to need some candies for better speed, the Reinucleus line probably should come out.

Being this is for cities I think you going to run into alot of issues trying to get the proper combination, being its an attack lock deck I think most of your focus should be on Cobalion, plume, and Beartric. Thats going to be whats going to win it for you, but I guess if you got a plume then a candy wont work will it?

Well if I candy into plume then I won't need the candy anymore I suppose. I figured I was running too many pokemon. This was the very first edition of my decklist so editing was pretty much expected. It sounds nuts, but how about:

- 2-2-2 Reinucleus line.

+ 2 basculin
+2 Twins
+2 rare candy
Basculin isn't the worst option with Fliptini in the format now. He normally does 80 on his attack and if you flip two tails he does 80 to himself. If I am attempting to counter a fire pokemon that is a one hit knockout no matter what with the potential to fight another day with one heads in four rolls.

Also:

-1 prof elm
-1 interview

+ 2 Prof oak.
-2 rainbows+ 1 metal+ 1 twins

So here would be an updated list
3x Cobalion
3-2-3 Vilaplume line
3-2-3 Vanilluxe line
3-2 Beartic line
2 basculin line

28 Pokemon

2 Interview questions
3 Pokemon communication
2 professor elms
2 Prof. Junipers
2 seeker
2 prof. oaks
2 rare candies
2 twins
17 Trainers-Supporters

08 water
07 metal

15energy

Although that is better, I still feel that 28 Pokemon is too much. More suggestions:

- 0/0/1 Vileplume
- 1/0/1 Vanilluxe
- Elm x1

+Pokemon Collector x3
+Twins/Communication x1

Collectors will help a lot with the setup process. You will need all the help you can get with Stage 2's. Vanilluxe is good, but having so many of that Poke makes less room for your other homies to appear. Reducing his line should make it a bit more consistent. :] Then again, this is merely an opinionated suggestion.

oops I goofed the math on the pokemon with the updated list. I was at 26. Leaving me two extra spots in my deck. I don't have any collectors or pichus so:

-1 vanillite
-1vanilluxe
-1 vilaplume

+1 Pokemon communication
+ 1 twins
+ 1 metal to even out energies
+2 elm
Updated list:

3x Cobalion
3-2-2 Vilaplume line
2-2-2 Vanilluxe line
3-2 Beartic line
2 basculin line

23 Pokemon

2 Interview questions
4 Pokemon communication
4professor elms
2 Prof. Junipers
2 seeker
2 prof. oaks
2 rare candies
3 twins

21 Trainers-Supporters

08 water
08 metal

16energy

I have seeker in just in case trainer lock is hurting me more than hurting my opponent. Would I be better served removing it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you dont have any collectors or Pichus, your next bet is Stantler.

the problem with Stantler though is it gives the opponent a free prize.

If I run several twins is falling behind the worst thing in the world? Once in place my strategy will make taking additional prizes more difficult.

It honestly looks like you are trying to put two decks together in one. I say either run the V3 (Vanilluxe, Vileplume, Victini) or the Cobalion/Vileplue/Beartic. I like the idea of more twins though and N if you have them. They work really well with slower lock decks like these :)

^ Agreed.

Drop the Vanilluxe/Fliptini.

Run Pichu. You don't have Collectors. You want Twins activated. It's cheap to buy if you need it.

Run more Twins.
Run Cleffa.
Run more Candy.
Run 3 Solosis.
Run some more draw Supporters (Sage, PONT . . . even Cheren)
Run Special Metal

Interviewer's is pointless. You run plenty of Energy to access enough with normal draw.

I was considering Pichu, but thought that it may hurt the overall strategy of my deck if my opponent had access to a full bench early. I am assuming that I don't want my opponent to have access to fully set up basics ready to attack by the time their active is knocked out. Although I suppose if I play my cards right I should be able to get a second attack blocker set up for whenever my first eventually goes down. By run three solosis do you mean just it's basic form? I guess as twins bait? I will definitely be running 4 special metal. So what are we looking at here:

-2/-2/-2 Vanilluxe
-1 fliptini
-2 interview

+2 Pichu
+1 twins
+2 Oaks
+1 cleffa
+3 sage
So my list if I followed this would read:

3x Cobalion
3-2-2 Vilaplume line
3-2 Beartic line
2 basculin line
2 pichu
1 cleffa
20 Pokemon
3 sages training method
4 Pokemon communication
4 professor elms
2 Prof. Junipers
2 seeker
4 prof. oaks
2 rare candies
4 twins
24 Trainers-Supporters

08 water
08 metal

Was still curious on if seeker would help my cause or not. Was considering dropping the seeker for 2 stantler.

Last edited:
I was considering Pichu, but thought that it may hurt the overall strategy of my deck if my opponent had access to a full bench early. I am assuming that I don't want my opponent to have access to fully set up basics ready to attack by the time their active is knocked out. Although I suppose if I play my cards right I should be able to get a second attack blocker set up for whenever my first eventually goes down. By run three solosis do you mean just it's basic form? I guess as twins bait? I will definitely be running 4 special metal. So what are we looking at here:

If you can't get your own Basics out (you don't have Collector) then you aren't even going to have an overall strategy for your opponent to worry about.

Plume/Reuniclus lock decks ARE slow. You are not going to be able to blitz your opponent and get a full set up before them because most of the time they are not going to be running 2 Stage 2s. That's why you run 'comeback' cards like Twins - you let them get a Prize lead, then you lock them and stop them taking any more Prizes.

3 Solosis is just mandatory in this format. Suppose 1 is Prized? You Bench the other and watch it get sniped or Catchered. At that point you might as well scoop.

Oh I took the whole solosis line out of my deck with the first cut. I suppose I should throw the updated list into the first post. I have just posting new lists with each reply as I went. Sorry about that!

Was just put in there as a fire counter in case beartic or vanilluxe were proving difficult to get evolved. It is definitely expendible if a better card comes up though.

Was just put in there as a fire counter in case beartic or vanilluxe were proving difficult to get evolved. It is definitely expendible if a better card comes up though.

You so don't need to waste space on a 'Fire counter' in a Beartic deck. If Beartic isn't getting out fast enough, the problem is your Trainer engine, not your lack of Water Type Basics.

Oh sorry about that Psyduck. Thanks for pointing it out. Fixed! Okay let's see here. I am maxed out on twins, oaks and pokemon communications so finding the specific pokemon I want should be pretty easy. I would add another candy if I had one. For now I will just say:

-2 basculin

+1 water energy
+1 metal energy

I know I have plenty of energy, but I'm not super sure at the moment what to throw in there.Gotta check if I have an N.

---------- Post added 12/09/2011 at 05:28 AM ----------

Had a thought just now. What about a 1-1 hypno line? A cobolion + vilaplume + hypno line could be lethal. Prevent attack, prevent switch and prevent manual retreat via sleep. I could find more room in my deck for a thicker line as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back