Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Banette ex: New Acrhetype?

Dark_Jirachi

Banette is being discussed more and more often now. with 2 energy, you can do 100.
you can have easy safeguard in your deck.
you have ascension in your deck.
however, it all happens in next set. So, that means this is going to be popular?

Banette is great next format as of now but if Shiftry becomes popular it might have some issues. Shiftry is completely overrated in my opinion so we'll see.

I've had success with it too, and there will be a big lack of Darkness types immediately after rotation which will make Banette a top-tier deck, as long as Shiftry ex does not dominate the format.

Banny is amazing, and yes. Shiftry ex is overrated :)

Just think how many powers there will be used next format, and how much of the current format TURNS them off.

Dugtrio might make for a good backup attacker to take care of the pesky Darkness types (Shiftry ex, Umbreon ex, T-tar ex, Mightyena). His Body will also protect you from Shiftry sniping.

Mewchou said:
Dugtrio might make for a good backup attacker to take care of the pesky Darkness types (Shiftry ex, Umbreon ex, T-tar ex, Mightyena). His Body will also protect you from Shiftry sniping.
not only that but it does 120 damage the shrifty ex cause it is weak

Banette ex pwns Shiftry.
Shiftry is way over rated. The next format will have little to do with poke powers. Fewer and fewer decks will be playin poke powers next format.
Yes, it is true that Banette uses a poke power, BUT the deck does not rely on it.
Shiftry is a good card, dont get me wrong, but none the less it is way over rated.
If your opponent sends up Shift to attack you drop a Safeguard Banette and force em to build up a Nuzleaf on their bench. AND even Nuzleaf can't OHKO Banny without a darkness on it (If I am not mistaken.)
I am pretty positive that this will become a leading archetype next format.
I think it has the potential to beat Shiftry if played correctly. Not to mention that Banny is gonna be super fast with that new ascension Shuppet.
I think this can and prolly will become a major archetype in at least of the early stages (cities etc.) of next format. So watch out for it.

Professor Elm said:
Banette ex pwns Shiftry.
That's a bit of a stretch, don't you think? With psychic-resistance, Safeguard Banette cannot damage, only confuse Shiftry ex. I'm not saying it can't be overcome, but Banette will have to be built specifically with Shiftry in mind IF Shiftry becomes popular.

actually bannette wouldnt do a single thing but stall cause you can only confuse the pokemon if its a basic pokemon

as for the matchup i would say that bannette would win cause its t2 and the pre evos a pretty weak especially if the nusleaf is weak to spychic(not sure)

the proffesor elm said the rest

... But Bannete is weak to dark, along with it's pre-evolution, and shiftry is dark, so it can use dark energy...

Professor Elm said:
Banette ex pwns Shiftry.

Are you kidding me?
Shiftry can one shot banette ex thanks to weakness, whereas banette ex can't do much damage at all to shiftry due to resistance. And Banette ex's power hurts it when its facing down shiftry, rather than helping it.

Banette ex pwns Shiftry.
Shiftry is way over rated. The next format will have little to do with poke powers. Fewer and fewer decks will be playin poke powers next format.
Yes, it is true that Banette uses a poke power, BUT the deck does not rely on it.
Shiftry is a good card, dont get me wrong, but none the less it is way over rated.
If your opponent sends up Shift to attack you drop a Safeguard Banette and force em to build up a Nuzleaf on their bench.
Banette is arguably the worst safeguarder ever. It won't do much but put up a wall. Which isn't really a problem, since shiftry can smack the bench around. If banette ex is benched and has even 10 damage on it, shiftry will 2HKO it.

Not that good shiftry decks won't have alternate attackers, or even main attackers other than shiftry.

Well Shiftry is weak to Fire so just play a Lati-Lock with the Latios(Pokebody) and a fire Latias...Lati-Lock in Banette FTW...and top it off with a Battle Frontier for the stadium and use Mew ex LM to counter it by using Shiftry's attack because if you use Switch you can play that to bring up Mew after you use Banette's Power. Now they have 1 damage on 1 of there benched then you kill a basic on bench with Shiftry's first attack. Oh Now What!? and to top it off use the disruption cards to get the win...GG Banette ex=Archetype next format!

Last edited:
Professor Elm said:
Banette ex pwns Shiftry.
If your opponent sends up Shift to attack you drop a Safeguard Banette and force em to build up a Nuzleaf on their bench. AND even Nuzleaf can't OHKO Banny without a darkness on it (If I am not mistaken.)
I am pretty positive that this will become a leading archetype next format.
I think it has the potential to beat Shiftry if played correctly. Not to mention that Banny is gonna be super fast with that new ascension Shuppet.
I think this can and prolly will become a major archetype in at least of the early stages (cities etc.) of next format. So watch out for it.

how do you figure the next format isn't going to use powers at all. The only ones from this format that can go on to the next one is mewtric, and maybe flariados and even then it sorta uses powers. Or maybe im wrong and the whole format is going with the Turn-2 even though I dont know how that can happen with swoop gone. In this game of pokemon you need powers to win or you shut down powers/hurt them for using it to win end of story.

I will say this. Banette can drop a Dusclops EX EM on the bench and remove it's weakness.

im_me said:
Well Shiftry is weak to Fire so just play a Lati-Lock with the Latios(Pokebody) and a fire Latias...Lati-Lock in Banette FTW...and top it off with a Battle Frontier for the stadium and use Mew ex LM to counter it by using Shiftry's attack because if you use Switch you can play that to bring up Mew after you use Banette's Power. Now they have 1 damage on 1 of there benched then you kill a basic on bench with Shiftry's first attack. Oh Now What!? and to top it off use the disrution cards to get the win...GG Banette ex=Archetype next format!

Dual Aura - As long as you have Latios or Latios ex in play, each player's Evolved Pokemon (excluding Pokemon-ex) can't use any Poke-Bodies. (Poke-BODY)

GG Bannette

Back