Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Barrie, ON 1st Place Masters

Throne0fLegends

So after some planning, I decide to go up to Thornton Cities with my friends Juan and Andrew. The drive was surprisingly smooth with no traffic and decent weather conditions. Anyways at Thornton we meet up with our friend Bin along with Marv and his whole crew. My team gets destroyed going 1-2 each before all dropping while Andrew in seniors goes 3-1 for a 3rd place finish. Ethan, Marv's son win's his 2000000th tournament in Juniors and is currently sitting pretty at around 36 Championship Points. Anyways after losing to Durant and Magnezone I was pretty upset. Magnezone was the one card that stopped me from winning Indiana Regionals and here it is stopping me again =(. So when we head back for the night I decide to rework my deck to counter purely magnezone. At around 3 am I'm finally set, missing a few cards but I figured I would just ask my friend Dakota the next day to borrow them. So when Saturday rolled around, we drove up to Barrie and got to the place for the tournament. So onto the report, I was playing Vileplume, Reunculus, Kyurem, Coballion, Drowzee, Aipom, Dodrio, and Darkrai Cresselia Legend. =)

We have 26 Masters with 5 Rounds cutting to a top 4.

Round 1 Vs. Jeff S. Eel/Zekrom
Jeff's a really friendly guy, he even lent me the DCL that I needed for the day. He had an early energy drought, and I started with Kyurem with a pretty decent hand. I set up my vileplume and just started spreading early. He couldn't get an energy to retreat his zekrom and by the time he did the spread was already too much and there was enough damage on the field for my DCL to KO all his zekroms leaving only eels on the board. 1-0

Round 2 Vs. Alaric MB Hydregion Kingdra
Ugh, I saw what he was playing the night before in Thorton and knew I was in trouble. On top of that, my start wasn't the greatest and on top of that he gets a turn 2 fully powered hydra shooting down my field of 40 and 30 HP pokemon =(. He takes 3 prizes by turn 2 and by turn 5 all I could do was try and drowzee him and hope for the best. He eventually wakes up and slaughters my poor drowzee =(. 1-1

At this point my friend Juan is doing great with his Durant, milling ppl left and right, crushing hammer energies to death. In one of his matches, he was offered a bottle of water and an orange.... then milled his opponent out XD. Anyways, onto round 3...

Round 3 Vs. Dakota G. Eel/Zone/Zekrom/Terrak
He was just coming off of getting milled by Durant so he was still a little shaken up. We start the match with him getting a turn 1 Thundrous set up against my lone Kyurem. I have a pretty terrible hand with glooms and vileplumes only and no oddishes. I manage to top deck into a pichu, but can't retreat. I attach and pass. He doesn't have a great hand either and just attaches and disaster bolts me. I have 80 on me, and outrage would only do 100. I have the rainbow in my hand though and KO his active. I decide I can't go aggressive forever, so I retreat back into the pichu and start setting up the vileplume and reunculus. I eventually start the spread and with a few key outrages he scoops. Nice game man. Just some advice though, play the game cuz of the people, not whether or not you do well. If you think you did the most you could to prepare for a tournament then you have the right to be frustrated, but if not, then just enjoy the company. 2-1

Round 4 vs. Marv. P Reshiphlosion
Another round where i have to go up against a friend. I start off pretty bad with a lone kyurem again, and I have no choice but to go aggro with outrages and spreads. He keeps up by KOing my aipom and dodrio. He misses a key whiff on an energy to KO my kyurem. I seeker his only typhlosion, and begin setting up wtih my pichu. I told him back in Indiana to tech in a bellsprout for lock decks, and it comes up this game lol. He pulls out my vileplume, but I have a gloom set up on my bench. He realizes this and drags up my reunuclus instead. I saw the play coming, and knew what I had to do. I moved the 90 damage that i had on my field to KO my active to put me behind on prizes. I then used my twins and looked for my DCL pieces for late game. One was prized. I decided to keep twins chaining in an attempt to set up a second reunuclus so I sent up an energyless kyurem to tank. I thought I could get an outrage off so I attached an energy on him. Marv was smart and pushed up his Typhlosion and started discarding my energies. I wasn't going to get my reunculus up fast enough, and I could only KO one pokemon from my other kyurem with a spread. I had 3 prizes left and my DCL was in one of them. Time was called and it was my turn 3. He had 1 prize left, I had 2. The last prize I took I didn't look at until it was my turn. If it was the other half, I would win, if not then it was over. Luckily, I got the half and attached the rainbow from my hand and KOed both his typhlosions to win the game. Really close. Good game Marv. 3-1

Round 5 Vs. Kent Shen Eel Magnezone
Turn 2 he had 2 magnezones up and rolling before I could get my plume up. He had a huge prize lead and he was the only 4-0. I had to win to make it to top cut. I was counting his energies and I kept sending up large HP pokemon for his zone to KO. Eventually I had to make my move. I brought up his eel and started spreading. He attached an energy onto his eel but my aipom was prized. My last energy was prized too =.=. I only had enough to outrage =(. So I began outraging his eel for 50 but I couldn't KO it or else his zone would come up for the win. I had no choice but to move up my DCL and move the 50 onto his bench zone. I repeated the retreat outrage to DCL and move the damage onto zone for the next few turns since he couldn't find his last energy to retreat. I eventually KOed the zone and magneton. He scoops shortly after. He reveals his deck, and his last energy was the last card =(. Really good game. 4-1.

I finish 2nd after swiss and Juan is the 4-1 to whiff cut =(. I'm joined by Kent at number 1, Vic at number 3 with Kyurem Electrode DCL and Reed at number 4 with Eel/Zone/Zek/Terrak.

Top 4 vs. Vic Kyurem Electrode DCL
Game 1:
I start kyurem and coballion and he starts voltorb. He goes first and says he has a terrible hand, benches another voltorb and passes. I start attaching to kyurem, and I didn't want to pichu to help him out and have him spread 30 on all my solosis and babies so I just manually attached. He catchers up my coballion and stalls for the next 4-9 turns. I honestly saw more action in a starter deck match than in this one. I drew into nothing and passed into him drawing into nothing. By the time he finally gets his kyurem going, I at the same time top deck into my 3rd energy to charge up my coballion. I hit him for 160 and it takes him a second to realize the weakness and I sweep.

Game 2:
I start with kyurem, he goes first and has a lone Kyurem start as well. He gets the spread going after 3 turns while I communicationed for a coballion and started attachign my spcecial metal to it. I let him kill a couple of solosis and cleffas so I can use my twins for more special metals. Once I had 3, on my coballion I benchced nothing else and swept his field. Good game. 5-1

Top 2 vs. Reed M. Eel/Zone/Zek/Terrak
Game 1:
The last time I faced reed it was at Indiana Regionals. It's always more relaxed playing in a top 2 match with somebody you know and not everybody's tense. I start off with Kyurem and an oddish on my bench. After retreating I start setting up my vileplume. He N's me in an attempt to throw off my twins but eventually get it off and start setting up. He has 2 zones out and after sacking a few basics I began the real lock. I drowzee'd up his zone with 1 energy and put it to sleep. He woke up but didn't have an energy to attack or retreat him. I brought up my aipom and moved his only energy to a benched zone. My dodrio was up, and my kyurem was loaded. I seekered up my drowzee, dropped my DCL and attached the rainbow onto it. I spread every turn and moved the damage to KO his bench guys leaving his active zone alive. If he attached an energy onto the active, I would free retreat into my aipom and move it off. He scooped after realizing he was trapped in.

Game 2:
Reed decided not to go for zone this game and attack only with zekrom. I set up my kyurem, wtih vileplume and reunculus. He tried keeping his bench to only 2 pokemon. I seekered up one of his eels, placed 120 damage onto my active and outraged for game.

Thanks goes out to Dakota for lending me trollzee and his gang of Zone haters. Props to Juan, Bin and Andrew for making the trip enjoyable from beginning to end. Special thanks to Jenn for running both tournaments so well.

I just wish it wasn't so cold up there =(.

I really enjoyed reading your report and props for the win. Even more important to read how much fun you had. Enjoy your holiday and see you after Christmas at the marathon. Cant' t wait!:tongue:

Isn't there a cities in Hamilton this week? Andrew told me there might be but wanted to see.
Posted with Mobile style...

Congrats on your 1st finish nevertheless! Be sure to check out my report and comment if you wish lol

Harrison: only Internet resource I got is my iPod touch and it's just slow.
Posted with Mobile style...

Back