Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Basic Guide to Training a D/P Team Based on IVs, EVs and Nature:

Flareon

Ugh, this game is so complicated... after way more time that I wanted to spend reading about how to train a Pokemon since I didn't want to waste time training stuff improperly, this is what I've come up with:

(Please double check for errors. This could be a quick checklist for others to use, rather than spend a stupid amount of time reading and asking random questions like I've been since I got the game)

My first piece of advice is to simply create a quick team you can bring to tournaments without wasting too much time and money on TMs and stuff, and then begin training a Team (after doing some research on what is good and what you want). Don't worry, you can still do this!

How To Train A Pokemon Based On Specific IV, EV and Nature Wants:

Let's say I want something simple like, a Pikachu with a #1: Neutral Nature like Hardy #2: maxed IVs in all stats #3: maxed EV on Speed, Defense and with what is left, HP:

Quick review of terms before we get started, but if you want more detail, look up one of the sites below to find your answers. Or just skip this part if you think you know these well enough. However you feel, this is all I think you really need to know to train:

Nature: Different Natures yield different Stat increase rates. For example, Hardy is even raising across the board (like Mario!) but Calm increases and decreases (by 10%) Special Defense and Attack respectively (nice for a Blissey). Finding a Nature to fit what you want your Pokemon to do is very smart, especially if the Pokemon is to serve a special place in your team like a Wall, Special Sweeper or Speed Demon. Also, there is almost never a reason to use a Neutral Nature like Hardy, as there is virtualy always a Stat you won't care about, meaning you should take advantage of a specific Nature. For example, Blissey has close the lowes attack in the entire game, having any extra percentage of its Stats going towards Attack would be a waste!

EVs: Like... Final Fantasy II- REALLY TEDIOUS. Each Pokemon has Effort Values that contribute to how your Pokemon grows. Kill a bunch of Zubats and get a nice boost in Speed, while killing Golem's (EVs for Defense) yield Defense boost! These can really add up, and we are going to try and manipulate them. However, only a certain number of EVs will contribute to your Stats- after 508 or so, you cannot earn any more. It is all explained below, not that hard to understand, don't worry.

IVs: The ugliest in my oppinion. This is based on luck and is supposed to represent genetics or survival of the fittest or something... Some Pokemon are geneticaly better that others. IVs are scored from 0-31 and are RANDOM, though people say breeding yields better Pokemon than wild capture. For example, my Torchic might have an Individual Value rating of 31 on Attack, and 22 on every other stat while your Torchic has a mesely rating of 19 on every stat - mine eats yours like pop-corn chicken!

Are all these really that important?: Yes and no. Yes if you want to be in highly competitve play, and no if you just want to kick your friend's ***. Manipulating Stats can show gains of over 40 or so in a given stat! You can take this as far as you want though, Charizard is still going to probably KO your Abomasnow in one-hit with Fire Blast, but something like a well braught up Venusaur might surive it just enough to inflict some Damage or Status

#1 Nature:

1st. Breed or Capture until I get a Hardy Pikachu.

(Pokemon Nature graphs are available online, just google one or checkout the Links at the bottom!)

- To make getting a Hardy Pikachu easier, Give a Hardy Ditto an Everstone to make breeding a Hardy Pikachu's chances 50%. Having Ditto of every Nature would be a really nifty thing to have! Also, if you don't like the IVs of a female Pokemon, but you do like the Nature, just give her the Everstone and breed with something in its group. Which leads us to:

#2 Maxing IVs:

1st. Upon obtaining a Hardy Pikachu, get it to a higher level to calculate the Stats in an IV Calculator (mentioned below)-31 being the best possible for that Stat. You could calculate them upon hatching, though that would be worthless, inaccurate information. The higher the level, the more accurate the calculations will be. EVs are taken into account with IV Calculators, so make sure you follow one of these methods:

- The easiest way to do this is by having 6 freshly hatched Pokemon (of the desired Nature!) in your Party while doing a Battle Tower match at Level 100-Battle Tower matches modfiy the Pokemon's Lvl. to whatever you choose if you Battle a friend. Now calculate the Pokemon without even caring about EVs or anything else. If you are one of those people with two game packs, you could do this by 12 at a time!

-Another way to do this is by leaving 2 Pokemon at a time with the Daycare couple, or use Rare Candy. They will reach a high level without you having to keep track of (or receiving unwanted) EVs. You could just compare several Hardy Pikachu at the same level, and choose the one you want. But if you are hardcore, you'll keep using the Calculator until you are ready to settle on something. So you get to forget about EVs for right now!

-Another way -which is harder- is to do a mini-EV training for each Pikachu. For example, kill Zubat and Golbat until your Pikachu reaches Lvl. 25 and tally up how many EV points you totaled. You could also kill stuff for your other Stats as well, as long as you add up the EVs. You could do this while the Day Care raises your other Pokemon to get 3 or more Pokemon leveling up at the same time (Exp. Share and multiple Exp. Share). However, this isn't as fast as the methods mentioned abover, and is much less accurate at lvl. 25 or so (but within about 4-5 points on the IV calculator's estimates).

-Use Macho Brace, Pokerus and Exp. Share to make this slightly less annoying; x*4 on EV where x is the EV obtained from dead Poke (Zubat=4 Speed EVs, Golbat=8 Speed EVs with said items).

2nd. Using an online IV calculator (if you think you are Jason or trust your own math, find the formula and do it yourself), find out your Pikachu's IV value of 0-31 for each Stat. If your Pikachu has unacceptable values, start training another one (yey!).

(google Pokemon IV calculator. Most sites include the formula)

-Chances of getting 31 in all categories is a snowball's chance in ****; accept getting higher IVs (25+) in the desired Stats and good(20-25) in the less desirable/important Stats. You can also be an jerk and just keep trying until you get 31 in all.

#3 EV Training:

1st. We wanted a Maxed Speed, Defense and with what was left, HP. So, kill 252 Zubat, 252 Geodude and 4 Chansey (other combinations of Pokemon will work, just check one of the charts below).

-The maximum EVs a Pokemon can obtain for a Stat to actually benefit is 255, but only 4 EV = 1 Stat, so any more training is dubious. The remaining 4 EV can go to a 3rd Stat, like HP or something. The Total EVs a Pokemon can get is like, 508 I think... so, do the math! You can divide them up however you'd like, but typically two Stats are maxed.

- Avoid any Pokemon that will not give you the EVs you want! EVs for Special Attack aren't what we wanted for our Hardy Pikachu, so avoid killing Pokemon that give you EVs for other stats or Pikachu won't be able to max the desired Stats!

- Use the method of Macho Brace on your Active, Pokerus infected Team, and Exp. Share on your Pikachu (since a low Lvl. Pikachu cannot really kill a bunch of Geodude). This way you only have to kill 1/4 as many EV Pokemon! EVs also go both to the Active and Exp. Share Pokemon without being split up like the Exp. Points!!!11 Also, if you have more than 1 Exp. Share, you could have multiple Pokemon being EV trained at the same time!

-After maxing EVs, finish training the Pikachu at the Elite Four, or wherever you want to get it to reach whatever Level you need for your local tournaments. Once Pikachu has maxed EVs, you can just rack up experience! Usually tournaments range from 30, 50 and 100. Many other variations are around, so make sure you know before you begin training.

Tada! You now have the Pikachu you always wanted .

Additional Notes:

Pomeg and other Berries can remove unwanted EVs at a rate of -10 unwanted Stats per berry. This is REALLY good since it let's you RE-TRAIN Pokemon that you either weren't keeping track of EVs for, or decided to change their uses on your team! Hautte stuff.

Calcium and other Vitamins are good for +10 EVs per Stat per Vitamin. However, there are restrictions on how many you can use (I just don't know what they are).

_____________________________________________________________________________________
I think that is it. My goal was to make this short (it's 4 darn steps!), but include all the information necessary to train a Team (at the BARE minimum). This way all you have to do is follow the guide and you get your desired team, rather than constantly review the articles on each thing. The way it is now, you don't really have to know that much. Just follow what is says and POW!(hand extension), you have a team. Also, move sets and strategies are something so debated, I just decided the best thing would let people research for themselves on that subject.

Sites for help:

serebii.net : INSANE detail. Basically a one-stop. Your have-all site with amazing Pokedex, Articles, TMs, Items, Where/How-to get, Calculators and everything else. Extremely easy to navigate except for when it is busy. Use during the Morning or Extreme-Late night for easier navigation.

Nature Graphs:

(my favorite because it is simple) http://www.psypokes.com/lab/natures.php

http://www.achievebalance.com/pokemon/natures.htm

http://www.pokemonfanuniverse.com/games/rs/natures.php

IV Calculator:

http://www.legendarypokemon.net/ivcalc
(or use serebii's)

EV chart:

(this one has highlights!)
http://www.achievebalance.com/pokemon/effortvalues.htm
(or just use serebii)

Please leave fixes as I don't know much at ALL about this crap and D/P is my first attempt since G/S/C to make a team!

Thanks to David (Moltres423) for helping me! I <3 U, Sexi Boi

Thanks also to others who contributed.:thumb:

I was going to make a thread, but I think it would be better to put it here!

While there is a very good list of what the major natures, like Adamant, Brave, Mild, and Careful may mean on the unoffical Pokemon bible at serebii, I have found quite a few people confused about the secondary natures, despite the fact that they can be a huge breeding help for serious IV trainers, and I don't see a list anywhere around here! So, hopefully, this chart and explanation will help. Chart is from a FFXI forum assoicate, Not Kuno, thanks!

HP
Loves to eat: 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30
Often dozes off: 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31
Often naps: 2, 7, 12, 17, 22, 27
Often scatters things: 3, 8, 13, 18, 23, 28
Likes to relax: 4, 9, 14, 19, 24, 29

Attack
Proud of its power: 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30
Likes to thrash about: 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31
A little quick tempered: 2, 7, 12, 17, 22, 27
Likes to fight: 3, 8, 13, 18, 23, 28
Hot tempered: 4, 9, 14, 19, 24, 29

Defense
Sturdy body: 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30
Capable of taking hits: 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31
Highly persistent: 2, 7, 12, 17, 22, 27
Good endurance: 3, 8, 13, 18, 23, 28
Good perseverence: 4, 9, 14, 19, 24, 29

Special Attack
Highly curious: 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30
Mischeavious: 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31
Thoroughly cunning: 2, 7, 12, 17, 22, 27
Often lost in thought: 3, 8, 13, 18, 23, 28
Very finicky: 4, 9, 14, 19, 24, 29

Special Defense
Strong willed: 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30
Somewhat vain: 1, 6, 11, 16, 21, 26, 31
Strongly defiant: 2, 7, 12, 17, 22, 27
Hates to lose: 3, 8, 13, 18, 23, 28
Somewhat stubborn: 4, 9, 14, 19, 24, 29

Speed
Likes to run: 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30
Alert to sounds: 1, 6 ,11, 16, 21, 26, 31
Impetuous and silly: 2, 7, 12, 17, 22, 27
Somewhat of a clown: 3, 8, 13, 18, 23, 28
Quick to flee: 4, 9, 14, 19, 24, 29

What does this all mean?

Well, my favorite Arcanine, Clifford can help describe it! *tosses the Pokeball out*

Clifford: *bow*

Now, Clifford, like all other Pokemon, has a secondary nature right next to his first. In Clifford's case, he "Often Scatters Things". So, by looking at the above chart, we can automatically tell that his highest IV, the random traits that all Pokemon have at birth/encounter, is HP, and that the number is a 3, 8, 13, 18, 23, or 28. If his SA IV were highest, that nature would be listed under one of those SA natures. Each bolded Nature means that Nature is the one to check for a possible 31 in that IV, which you want. The higher IV a Pokemon has in that stat, the better.

In Clifford's case, after checking his stats in a 100 fight, I discovered it to be a 28! Not bad at all!

Now, a more complicated part. Say you Pokemon's HP and SD are tied for the highest IV. Well, in that case, the HP nature would be listed. I have listed the order in which a "tie" would go first: HP, then Attack, then Defense, and so on, ending with Speed. Again, we go to Clifford for a good example:

Cliffords IVs are:
HP 28, Attack 27, Defense 25, SA 13, SD 23, and Speed 28.

If his Speed had been higher than his HP IV by even one point, it would have been a Speed IV nature, but since they tie, he has a HP nature. I will probably want to breed Clifford at some point to work on IVs more, but this is a pretty good spread for now, so I'm happy with it. Thanks, Clifford! *returns*

Someone on the lookout for a group of 31s will be able to eliminate a lot of work just by looking at this secondary nature, saving quite a lot of hours of tedious guesswork, 100 checkups, and chart imputs. I know a lot of you are heavily battling D/P people, but I am surprised how many people do not know this info, so I'd like to pass it along. You'll save quite a bit of time breeding and searching for the best of the best of your favorite Pokes, without having to imput data in the fancy calculators. Hope it helps. :smile:

Last edited:
Wow, thanks! I didn't know about this either ;p. I'll touch the original post up after getting some more replies <3

I don't blame you, I learned about this fairly recently myself, and it isn't easy to find, but those secondary natures are indeed there for a reason.

I hope the mods sticky this. I was looking forward to a hopeful sticky in my name, but saying I helped is good enough. :p

I don't blame you, I learned about this fairly recently myself, and it isn't easy to find, but those secondary natures are indeed there for a reason.

I hope the mods sticky this. I was looking forward to a hopeful sticky in my name, but saying I helped is good enough. :p

A sticky of a thread with a first post of a list of useful stat and breeding related tricks and tips may be appropriate. E.g. this list plus the effect of adamant/bold etc.

Most blatant innaccuracy that I can find is the statement about IVs that higher level = more accurate numbers.
The most accurate numbers occur at level 50; your numbers will be just as inaccurate as level 100 as they are at level 1. See serebii's IV page.

I was going to make a thread, but I think it would be better to put it here!

While there is a very good list of what the major natures, like Adamant, Brave, Mild, and Careful may mean on the unoffical Pokemon bible at serebii, I have found quite a few people confused about the secondary natures, despite the fact that they can be a huge breeding help for serious IV trainers, and I don't see a list anywhere around here! So, hopefully, this chart and explanation will help. Chart is from a FFXI forum assoicate, Not Kuno, thanks!

HP

Attack
Proud of its power: 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30

Defense
Sturdy body: 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30

Special Attack
Highly curious: 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30

Special Defense
Strong willed: 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30

Speed
Likes to run: 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30

What does this all mean?

Well, my favorite Arcanine, Clifford can help describe it! *tosses the Pokeball out*

Clifford: *bow*

Now, Clifford, like all other Pokemon, has a secondary nature right next to his first. In Clifford's case, he "Often Scatters Things". So, by looking at the above chart, we can automatically tell that his highest IV, the random traits that all Pokemon have at birth/encounter, is HP, and that the number is a 3, 8, 13, 18, 23, or 28. If his SA IV were highest, that nature would be listed under one of those SA natures. Each bolded Nature means that Nature is the one to check for a possible 31 in that IV, which you want. The higher IV a Pokemon has in that stat, the better.

In Clifford's case, after checking his stats in a 100 fight, I discovered it to be a 28! Not bad at all!

Now, a more complicated part. Say you Pokemon's HP and SD are tied for the highest IV. Well, in that case, the HP nature would be listed. I have listed the order in which a "tie" would go first: HP, then Attack, then Defense, and so on, ending with Speed. Again, we go to Clifford for a good example:

Cliffords IVs are:
HP 28, Attack 27, Defense 25, SA 13, SD 23, and Speed 28.

If his Speed had been higher than his HP IV by even one point, it would have been a Speed IV nature, but since they tie, he has a HP nature. I will probably want to breed Clifford at some point to work on IVs more, but this is a pretty good spread for now, so I'm happy with it. Thanks, Clifford! *returns*

Someone on the lookout for a group of 31s will be able to eliminate a lot of work just by looking at this secondary nature, saving quite a lot of hours of tedious guesswork, 100 checkups, and chart imputs. I know a lot of you are heavily battling D/P people, but I am surprised how many people do not know this info, so I'd like to pass it along. You'll save quite a bit of time breeding and searching for the best of the best of your favorite Pokes, without having to imput data in the fancy calculators. Hope it helps. :smile:

You list zeros as a possible IV that would give a secondary nature, but yet in order for 0 to be the highest IV, then no other IVs could be higher. Therefore, this could only happen in a 0/0/0/0/0/0 pokémon, in which case it would "Love to eat" because HP is looked at first as you explained.

I know they follow a pattern and taking out the zeros breaks this pattern, but it's simply a fact that the other 4 natures will never be there for a pokémon who has a highest IV of 0, so 0 should not be listed as one of the possibilities.

So, the correct listing is:

HP

Attack
Proud of its power: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30

Defense
Sturdy body: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30

Special Attack
Highly curious: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30

Special Defense
Strong willed: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30

Speed
Likes to run: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30

Do you understand?

You list zeros as a possible IV that would give a secondary nature, but yet in order for 0 to be the highest IV, then no other IVs could be higher. Therefore, this could only happen in a 0/0/0/0/0/0 pokémon, in which case it would "Love to eat" because HP is looked at first as you explained.

I know they follow a pattern and taking out the zeros breaks this pattern, but it's simply a fact that the other 4 natures will never be there for a pokémon who has a highest IV of 0, so 0 should not be listed as one of the possibilities.

So, the correct listing is:

HP

Attack
Proud of its power: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30

Defense
Sturdy body: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30

Special Attack
Highly curious: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30

Special Defense
Strong willed: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30

Speed
Likes to run: 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30

Do you understand?
As unlikely as it is, its still able to happen.However as long as both parents don't have zero for an iv, its impossible.

Nice guide. I hope this gets stickied, and I knew about the secondary natures (personalities) but still don't understand it completely. I think I understand it for the most part though. I knew the personalities had some kind of impact in the game. A quick tip in my opinion, give better and more organized info on the power items. I read over that part and got confused. You may want to edit that and make it a bit clearer.

~MSF45

As unlikely as it is, its still able to happen.However as long as both parents don't have zero for an iv, its impossible.

What's able to happen? Give me the IVs for a "highly curious" pokémon with a special attack of 0. Oh wait, if any of the other IVs are not 0, then they will be higher, so the pokémon will not be highly curious as a different stat will be the highest! Therefore, all IVs must be 0, in which case it would "like to eat". THEREFORE a pokémon with a special attack IV of 0 can NEVER be "highly curious" so don't list it as an option then!!

Thanks for Post #2...I had been wondering about that and had an Idea that it might have to do with the IVs..

Now I know I was right ;)

The IV thing has disgusted me and deterred me from any kind of competitive play. I just can't stand grinding eggs for hours just to get a single decent pokemon. More than hours, days, weeks.

It's fun to get a Gible with 28/27/30/29/31/5. It's so fun, you just want to shoot yourself.

The IV thing has disgusted me and deterred me from any kind of competitive play. I just can't stand grinding eggs for hours just to get a single decent pokemon. More than hours, days, weeks.

It's fun to get a Gible with 28/27/30/29/31/5. It's so fun, you just want to shoot yourself.

Welcome to the happy world of pokémon.

Wow, thanks for all the replies. I saw this slip into the 2nd page with not so many views and figured nobody really cared about it. It's 3:30am and I just got home and have to wake up tomorrow... so I'll try to work with everyone's suggestions later on. Thanks!

Also, you can only use up to 10 of any vitamin on any given pokémon.

Yep, the game will forbid the use of a vitamin if one of the following is true:

• The stat you are trying to raises contains 255 effort points
  • The pokémon you are using the vitamin on has total effort points of 510.
  • You have used 10 vitamins of the same name as the one you are trying to use.

I prefer the term "effort points" because they function similar to experience points but disimilar to indvidual values or gender values. EP is the same as EV anyway.

I still think this thread should be stickied. I'm going to make an attempt to keep this thread alive. Lots of hard work should be credited for.

Yep, the game will forbid the use of a vitamin if one of the following is true:

• The stat you are trying to raises contains 255 effort points
  • The pokémon you are using the vitamin on has total effort points of 510.
  • You have used 10 vitamins of the same name as the one you are trying to use.

I prefer the term "effort points" because they function similar to experience points but disimilar to indvidual values or gender values. EP is the same as EV anyway.

Vitamins stop working after 100 EVs have been distributed in that stat regardless of whether or not those 100 EVs were distributed by vitamins. I've tested this by accident far too many times.

Back