Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Beartic

Heartgold22

Hey, I know that I sound a little noobish on this, but I never did follow the hype about him so, what is so great about Beartic?

i'm actually interested in this too. i just looked it up and what i can see is for 1 water and 2 colorless it does 50 dmg and the defending pokemon can't attack during the next turn. not sure what else

People like the first attack because it shuts down Zekrom, Reshiram, and Donphan in a way. Its weakness is nice because Steelix is a bad card. It's... a polar bear?

Honestly, I think it's trash.

I think some people are thinking of combining him with Vileplume. That way, you can trap your opponents heavy attackers so that they can't attack and can't be Switched, and the only way to attack Beartic would be to retreat. (Or get knocked out and bring up someone new.)

Could work, especially against Magnezone, Emboar, Donphan. I think the 2 retreat cost on Reshiram & Zekrom makes them borderline cases--I'd be willing to pay 2 energy to bring up a new attacker, but being item-locked out of Energy Retrieval would make that hurt.

^ oh yes. Bearplume is going to be a great deck to play. Looking forward to its release.

See scizor prime and lost remover jump in popularity to counter.

People like the first attack because it shuts down Zekrom, Reshiram, and Donphan in a way. Its weakness is nice because Steelix is a bad card. It's... a polar bear?

Honestly, I think it's trash.

Steelix isn't good because of right now because of Reshiram/Emboar. It is far from being a bad card.

Also, Donchamp isn't really affected to badly by Beartic thanks to Fighting Tag.

So it doesn't work on Machamp (fighting tag), Zekrom or Reshiram (other attack), and MewGar (free retreat).
Does it work on anything?

Still not too great, just let the active die and revenge kill next turn or up your swith count.

That's what I was thinking. I don't think the deck has a lot going for it. Most decks right now run on OHKO, which Beartic can only do to Donphan, and it needs 4 energy to do it.

Steelix isn't good because of right now because of Reshiram/Emboar. It is far from being a bad card.

Also, Donchamp isn't really affected to badly by Beartic thanks to Fighting Tag.

Haha, well... SuperWooper got the joke. :wink:

Hmmm, here's the thing about cards though: they're only so good as their respective format/metagame has them. When I said Steelix is a bad card, I meant that it's a bad card right now. Obviously, that hasn't always been the case (got top cut at Worlds with it last year). With new cards released, the viability of certain cards and combos can change dramatically. Remember what Vileplume did for Gengar? Or what Triumphant (with Junk Arm and Rescue Energy) did for Gyarados? With the release of Black and White, Emboar -- a near format-defining card -- has made Steelix look ridiculously bad. Add to that the absence of Expert Belt and PL Blissey, and things look rougher still.

As far as Beartic goes, this is a card that is easily played around. It's only positive feature is that it can stop a single Donphan in its tracks. But that's if you avoid having the Basic KO'd from Pokemon Catcher, and if you can get the right energy you need to attack, and if the Donphan player misses out on playing Switch, etc. etc.

Steelix and Scizor are not dead yet. When Kyurem and Beartic comes out, Reshiram decks will decrease, and the Centinel Duo will return. Metal is waiting for it's reveange

When Pokemon Catcher comes out, most decks will change in some way. Beartic's effect on the format cannot be accurately detailed when compared to the current popular decks.

When Pokemon Catcher comes out, most decks will change in some way. Beartic's effect on the format cannot be accurately detailed when compared to the current popular decks.

True, but then again this is all theorymon anyways.

Back