Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Before/After weakness determining where the effect lays?

Prime

Content Developer<br>Blog Admin<br>Contest Host
I think I've read this time and time again, but I want to get this correct before judging my first battle road this weekend.

1. If a card lays an effect before weakness and resistance is applied, the effect is on the pokemon attacking itself?

For example, MT Glalie's Poke-Body reads:

As long as Glalie is your Active Pokemon, any damage done by attacks from your opponent's Stage 2 Evolved Pokemon is reduced by 20 (before applying Weakness and Resistance).

The effect of Glalie's Poke-Body would be on Glalie, so an attack like Flygon's Swift which ignores any effects on the defending Pokemon would ignore Glalie's Poke-Body. Is that correct?

2. If a card lays an effect after weakness and resistance is applied, the effect is on the defending pokemon?

For example, DP Hippowdon's second attack reads:

During your next turn, if an attack does damage to the Defending Pokemon (after applying Weakness and Resistance), that attack does 40 more damage.

So one could say if the opponent were to retreat their Pokemon and send up another Pokemon, that Pokemon would not take 40 more damage because the effect was on the Pokemon Hippowdon attacked and when that Pokemon was benched, the effect went away. Is that correct?

3. Is this the norm?

"Before Weakness and Resistance" lays the effect on the Pokemon attacking and "after Weakness and Resistance" lays the effect on the Defending Pokemon?

Thanks!

It seems you have it backwards.
Part of the confusion may be that some of the effects you look at take effect on different players turn.
Forget about when the effect was placed, Just look at it at the point when an attack is done and it is being triggered.

If it is before W&R, it is on the Pokemon that is currently doing the attack that is being affected. Think of Plus Power, that is also before W&R.

If it is after W&R, it is on the Pokemon that is being attacked. Think of Metal Energy, that is also after W&R

Back