Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Best Competitive Deck For Beginner?

GangnamStein

Hi all,

I recently switched from Yugioh Tcg to Pokemon Tcg. I been trying to learn a few things on the internet and I am now convinced that Pokemon Tcg is right for me. I was wondering if pokegym can suggest a few decks that are user friendly, allows me to win tournaments, wallet friendly, and will not be affected by the next rotation. Also, do rotations work by removing the 5 oldest sets in the current rotation? If this is true, a deck with mostly new cards is safe for the upcoming years?

Thanks!

Anyone who claims to know for certain how rotations work, is lying. There used to be a semi predictable pattern but the last couple years have completely gone against that.

As for what decks are wallet friendly, I'd say these:

Ray Eels
Zekrom Eels
Garchomp
Ratticate Amoongus
maybe others

The biggest obstacle to your wallet will be the Pokemon Catchers. At least 3 are needed to consistently remain competitive. Almost all top decks run a full 4 though. Most of the "higher end" cards in the decks I listed won't run you more than $6-7each. Even a random Raikou Ex shouldn't be more than $10-15. And it's only recomended for the eel decks, not even a must play.

Empoleon/Accelgor is very strong (when played correctly), mostly contains cards from DEX onwards and is also wallet-friendly because it doesn't need Pokémon-ex, except for one Mew maybe. However, it's one of the more difficult decks, compared to the rest.

Another cheap deck would be Garchomp/Altaria, but I don't consider it as a very good deck. Still, easy to play, solid for beginners and very unlikely to rotate out.

Eelektrik stuff is a little more expensive and also more likely to rotate out (but personally I think we stay with BLW-on one more year). On the other side, it's not too difficult, more versatile (variations, additional cards) and a little stronger than the two above.

All other viable decks need lots of ex-Pokémon and/or expensive support stuff. The most easy-to-play deck is Blastoise/Keldeo, but this is also one of the most expensive ones right now.

Anyone who claims to know for certain how rotations work, is lying. There used to be a semi predictable pattern but the last couple years have completely gone against that.

Really? Just from looking at bulbapedia, the rotation is straight forward. HGSS (old) rotates out while BW (newer set) rotates in. Is there something I am not seeing?

Eelektrik stuff is a little more expensive and also more likely to rotate out (but personally I think we stay with BLW-on one more year). On the other side, it's not too difficult, more versatile (variations, additional cards) and a little stronger than the two above.

All other viable decks need lots of ex-Pokémon and/or expensive support stuff. The most easy-to-play deck is Blastoise/Keldeo, but this is also one of the most expensive ones right now.

How do you know eeletrik stuff is likely to rotate out?

Is Blastoise/Keldeo expensive because it is new/popular and everyone wants to try it.... so higher demand? Does the hype of certain decks settle down once the format ages and players know what decks are actually good and what are bad? Once this happens, will the price of cards go down for certain cards?
I am basing this the trend of YGO tcg, but I am not sure if it applies to Pkmn.

Really? Just from looking at bulbapedia, the rotation is straight forward. HGSS (old) rotates out while BW (newer set) rotates in. Is there something I am not seeing?

Sometimes it's that simple, sometimes it isn't.

We've had a year with no rotation (2009), years with 3 set rotations, years with 7 set rotations, and most things in between. They don't always stick with block rotations either. We had MD-on when they could have cut to PL-on, for example.

They do what they think is needed, rather than stick to a predictable pattern.

How do you know eeletrik stuff is likely to rotate out?

It's in the 3rd BLW set, so if they do rotate (up to the EX block, say), then it will go. But no-one knows for sure.

Is Blastoise/Keldeo expensive because it is new/popular and everyone wants to try it.... so higher demand? Does the hype of certain decks settle down once the format ages and players know what decks are actually good and what are bad? Once this happens, will the price of cards go down for certain cards?
I am basing this the trend of YGO tcg, but I am not sure if it applies to Pkmn.

It's expensive because it requires some high rarity cards (Keldeo-EX) and some lists also use Tropical Beach (a Worlds competitior exclusive Promo). If the deck proves to be successful in the long term, then the price of those card will likely increase. My guess is that Keldeo-EX itself is likely to get more expensive in the medium term as it will find itself in other decks besides Blastoise.

Thank you for your gracious PM. :)

For the benefit of others reading the thread I'll just reiterate the basic point: things surrounding Darkrai and other EX Pokemon tend to be good. I personally would expect Darkrai/hammers to be the cheapest deck to build that would also be a strong play in any tournament.

I'd expect a DEX-on format next year, but I wouldn't have you quote me on it.

Darkrai/Hydreigon also is not crazy expensive now that Darkrai and Mewtwo are out in tins, and the main elements of the deck should survive rotation. Whether it remains viable that long is another question, but that is the same for every deck that is competitive now.

Back