Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

"Best" definition of 2016 season

Leo102

Howdy y'all! I have a question about what are the "best" expansion sets to collect, circa the 2016 season.

Background: I've been semi-seriously playing Pokemon TCG with my two young boys since last summer. We've really been getting into it, as far as keeping our cards organized (Boundaries Crossed through Roaring Skies) and building new decks and doing Saturday night tournaments at the local gamer store. It's been a fun year!

But I wonder whether "real" Pokemon TCG players feel the same way I do about the nonstop release of bigger and better cards. Especially the recent releases, where now there are Pokemon that can attack twice or attach two energies etc. It's kind of annoying to have built a nice big beautiful collection of cards for the 2015 season and now most of them are fast becoming worthless because every three months they come out with stronger cards. Am I the only one that feels this way?

Well anyway, let's say I decide to "close the binders" for the 2016 season. The question is how to best define the 2016 season. I see three basic options:

1) Use the 2016 legal list, Boundaries Crossed through Roaring Skies.
2) Use the 2016 extended season, Black and White through Roaring Skies. The question is whether B&W through Plasmas be "worth" chasing down to add to my collection?
3) Stop a little earlier than Roaring Skies, like maybe at Furious Fists. Idea being, the "weird crap" like the now-illegal Lysandre's Trump card really seemed to get going with Phantom Forces and beyond.

I'd really appreciate any perspective you longer-term players could give!

Back