Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Best Shuffling method

Pre and post-game you should pile shuffle to the six (meaning, lay out 6 piles of ten cards, one by one) this will ensure randomization.

During the game, I would hold your deck in your hand horizontally on it's side and pick up a chunk and drop it into another spot, rinse, and repeat.

Also, play with KMCs. :)

I always shuffle this way, and only had one set of sleeves split on me due to it (the awful Weavile SW sleeves)

5 pile, going in clockwise order.

Take two piles, mash them together at the bottom corner of each sleeve, making sure to keep the cards all facing the same direction. The bottom is the strongest part of any sleeve, and should be able to take the most abuse. This is also very similar in effect to a riffle, but doesn't strain the sleeves very much. I do this 3-5 times.

Take another two piles, mash them together as above, 3-5 times.

Take the final pile, and mash it with the second pile above, 3-5 times.

Take the last two piles and mash them together as above, at least 3 times.

I kept getting dead starting hands at one tourney. Someone told me to just throw my deck and the air and it would probably shuffle better. I did and darn if it didn't work.:eek:

Last edited:
Hand Shuffle - Lightly cut cards into 2 piles, put one pile in hand, let it fan, let the 2nd pile by gravity fall into the fanned first pile. Low Damage to Sleeves, if you avoid drop the cards on the open sleave side of the card.
Table Shuffle - AKA Poker Shuffle. This is when you split the piles into 2, and flip the cards at the edges into one larger pile. This is the most damaging method to the sleaves obvously.
Pile Shuffle - Deal cards into 5, 6, or 10 piles. Not only does this randomnize, it is also a great check to make sure you have 60 cards.

IMHO Correct Way:
1.Hand Shuffle a few times
2.Pile Shuffle ONCE
3. Hand Shuffle a few times

A sort of random deck that his Pile Shulffed will be essentially random after the pile shuffle. You hand shuffle before and after only to show your opponent that the deck wasn't stacked before the pile shuffle or after the pile shuffle.

If you have time to kill, repeat steps 2 and 3. But they aren't necessary.

IF YOUR OPPONENT IS WAITING ON YOU, PILE SHUFFLE MORE THAN ONCE IS JUST RUDE!! Most of the people that elaborate shuffle routines more than this I think just have "maniac compulsive disorders."

BTW, shuffling a small piles into a small piles will often just undo the randominization you are trying to achieve.

Pile shuffle into an odd number of piles. I like 5 or 9. Even numbers are easy to stack with, so I get suspicious of strangers when they do this. Before each match I pile shuffle into 9 piles, then 5, hand shuffle several times, and repeat until the match is almost ready to begin. I also pile shuffle my opponents deck instead of a cut, though I'm not sure if that's allowed in PTCG.
I like pile because its the least damaging to sleeves by far, and I think its the best method of randomization.

I always find it a point during tournaments to stack my cards, making trainer-pokemon-energy 6 or 10 card piles. After that I put them together and start cutting them. Then I allow my opponent to do his own shuffling/cutting of my deck.

For casual games though I just do a normal shuffle. Take a bunch of cards and randomly cut them into the deck. Then I offer the chance to my opponent. I just think it's basic courtesy and adds an extra element of randomization

Double sleeve them with penny sleeves like my friends and I do. That way the only thing that can get damaged is the cheap penny sleeve, which can be replaced at wil.

I always find it a point during tournaments to stack my cards, making trainer-pokemon-energy 6 or 10 card piles. After that I put them together and start cutting them. Then I allow my opponent to do his own shuffling/cutting of my deck.

For casual games though I just do a normal shuffle. Take a bunch of cards and randomly cut them into the deck. Then I offer the chance to my opponent. I just think it's basic courtesy and adds an extra element of randomization

You must kidding us here. Presenting your opponent a non random deck is Cheating. You should never EVER do that. Stacking trainer-pokemon-energy is what stacking is, and it is cheating.

Hand shuffle BEFORE and AFTER pile shuffles is the easiest way to demonstrate to the opponnent that stacking isn't going on.

Wait, so let me get it straight here: A deck which has been rearranged randomly by shuffling after randomly putting them back in a 60card deck is still non-random?

And even if it constituted cheating, nobody, not even the judges have called me out on it. So I guess I must still be doing something right.

Stacking: Having your Deck be in Trainer-Energy-Pokemon-Trainer-Energy-Pokemon.....
If we understood that you presented a deck that you knew was in that order. Yes, that is cheating. (Period)
If you start with your deck in some non random order, then you peform your shuffling the deck to randomnize it, we are OK.

Maybe I just misunderstood what you were saying, but the deck needs to have a true random. Cutting a deck that is Stacked Pokemon-Energy-Trainer isn't random. This isn't new stuff here.

I at times will see that I have 3 rare candies right after each other in a mid-game search and shuffle. Before shuffling, I will pull the rare candies apart, BUT THEN SHUFFLE so that there is a possibility that those Candies will just "reclump". The shuffle needs to acheive a randomonizaiton.

Last edited:
Slow_deck that's exactly what I'm saying.

I go like this: stack--->shuffle--->cut-->offer opponent to do the same

The stacking part is only I'm so fearful of energy getting stuck together and even with this method it still happens.

you can do whatever you want, but you must SUFFICIENTLY randomize your deck afterwards.

i've asked if it was legal to, while looking through the deck mid-game, to move cards around (so that you don't have 3 rare candy after one another), etc. and the answer i got was that as long as it was sufficiently randomize afterward it's fine.

if you 'stack a deck' and then proceed to shuffle adequately, it should be fair game.

Back