Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Big Invites for Little Competiton

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_sniper

Austria 1 1 1
Belgium 1 1 1

Combined, Austria and Belgium have taken 2 trips from each age group in my country.

Guess what Austria pulled for their ENTIRE event? 100+? 200+? WRONG

The Answer would be 34 (yes, THIRTY FOUR). That's not masters people, that ENTIRE EVENT.

Guess how many people Belgium pulled for their entire event.... 29 (TWENTY NINE).

This is LUDACRIS. People won CCs and SCs and RCs this year with as much as 5x those numbers.

I'm not one of these anti foreign trips people, but when does this borderline on crazy?

Bring on the flames Lia and others.

-Steve

(This is Squirtle, my dad left his account logged in)

Why be so greedy? They get ONE invite for each of their age groups. Should they not be allowed to send ANYONE?

Seriously, this is just plain silly. To say that because we have more players that other countries shouldn't even be able to send a person to Worlds is just plain ludicrous IMHO.

it would be much more fair if they'd throw all nationals invites into 1 big european event.

ps they didnt take anything from anyone boi, they just got it.

Sorry Squirtle, but no matter how much you don't like it the Austrian and Belgian distributors aren't going to pay for your trip to Hawaii.

I don't want them to pay for my trip. But when your nats pulls less than FIFTY (not even close actually) for the entire event - It's bogus.

If they(Japan) are making worlds this "Elite" atmosphere where they want you to have to bust your *** to earn your way in, then beating 30 other people shouldn't count.

If US Nats pulled 34 people I'd say it was balony and we didn't deserve our trip.

And btw Kevin, call me boy again. We don't take kindly to that kinda stuff around here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it's a shame that they didn't get a higher attendance number at their Nationals. Yeah, it's a shame that for the whole year leadin up to Nationals, there hasn't been enough recruitment of new players, not enough marketing for events or just not a strong enough community. Whatever the reason is, let's hope next year will be better and that Austria and Belgium will give their best.

Now please explain to me why this is relevant to you at all. Taken trips from your country? XD Haha, is this some kind of joke? Do you realize that the Belgian and Austrian distributors pay for the players trips to Worlds, just like they did every year before?

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

So last year, Pokémon USA paid for some trips for American players who won stuff, and Belgium and Austrian players paid for trips for their people who won stuff. What's the difference? Who took something from who? Your reasoning is so absurd I almost feel dizzy.

Or are you talking about the new ranking-list based invites which also have nothing at all to do with this?

Last edited:
Jeroen R won Belgian masters. He's a world class player no?
If Daniel C is Daniel Cohen then another world class player won the Austrian masters.

Now please explain to me why this is relevant to you at all. Taken trips from your country? XD Haha, is this some kind of joke? Do you realize that the Belgian and Austrian distributors pay for the players trips to Worlds, just like they did every year before?

I dont care who pays for their trips. I worded it wrong, I should have said INVITE.

In my oppinion (And thats all it is) , if you win your nats with 34 people you haven't earned the right to be there in my oppinion.

As of right now, the only people who have earned it are Jason, Jimmy, Jeremy, and that Japanese guy.

But thats just MY OPPINION

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Jeroen R won Belgian masters. He's a world class player no?
If Daniel C is Daniel Cohen then another world class player won the Austrian masters.

Yes I know who DACO is, he happens to be a friend of mine and a felow Lafonte member - However I think that the way he got his trip is bogus, and he knows how I feel on subject.

And I dont know who the heck Joroen R even is..

Last edited:
I agree with you that winning a 30 player event is not a big deal compared to winning something like US Nationals with 500+ players. I wish European National Championships could have a bigger turnout, and I actually think the current winners would have loved to be winner of bigger events too (hey, winning a bigger evnet = more respect earned).

But when you say they're taking something from you, it doesn't make sense, and you'll find it's something that European players don't want to hear. That's all.

i heard Austrian national was won by a German player who managed to get austrian nationality thanks to a relative....

just like many Italian rich people that "live" in Swiss to avoid taxes.....

to me ranking is taking away all the fun from OP....
Hope POP will do something to stop those ILLEGAL behaviour.

P.S. squirtle if you find not right that national champion win a SINGLE trip you should look at Finland winning 3-5 trips per age category!

FORGET IT.

When I make worlds THE HARD WAY, all of these players who were just handed their trips will just be free wins.

Cya guys at worlds

Steve, I agree with the idea you presenting, but think of it this way:
If there were ZERO invites in these places, that would not help grow the game.
Remember that fairness is not about everything getting what they deserve, but about everyone getting what they need.

And I dont know who the heck Joroen R even is..

Well, we didnt see him at all this year, he then shows up at nats, and wins it. (first tournament this season).
I think that's reason enough to think he's a good player.

Also, he got Top 8 (might be top 16) at worlds 2005.
That's another reason that he's a good player.

Let me see if I've gotten this right. You (Steve) think Worlds is about the best players getting together and seeing who is best in the world? I'd say that is part of it. The other part is that Worlds is the only chance players have to play other players from another country. Worlds is a big event because players from around the globe get together and play the game they all love to play. Sure, there is a competition, and there is going to be a winner, but the competition isn't the entire focus for Worlds.

And that is where your problem runs into this. You feel that these people don't have the right to attend Worlds because they didn't go through the tough trials that American players have to go through. But I feel that's wrong. People have to go through different levels of trials based on where they are. It sounds to me that you are penalizing others because where you are it's very hard to get an invite.

People have been spoiled in the past years being able to get to Worlds by just winning a single tournament and people need to wake up and see that this year (and possibly the next few years) it will be much harder to make it, and that you and your 10 friends most likely won't all make it to Worlds.

There's no reason to be greedy and ask for other countries to get nothing so that you can get more. The American players get more invites than any other country (possibly more than an entire continent). Be happy with what you have. You could be in much worse shape. Be happy for those that get to go, and look forward to the next year when you'll have another chance to compete for the chance to go to Worlds. Remember the founding goals of this game, especially the one that says to have fun. This is just a game.

Surely the point of a WORLD championship would be so that as many nations as possible can attend? Even such- obviously in your opinion - "lowly" nations as Austria and Belgium have a right to be there. You can't spare them one trip?

squirtle said:
I'm not one of these anti foreign trips people

sure.

It all depends on if you see a "world championship" as being a game that has the best people in the world there no matter where they come from ... heck they might all come from only 1, 2, or 3 countries in that case ... or if it is an event that has people from all over the world no matter how good or bad they are when comapred to folks in other countries.

Both are very valid and inclusive ways to look at it but the event can't be both.

People have been spoiled in the past years being able to get to Worlds by just winning a single tournament

I think that's Steve's point -- all they did was win a single (VERY SMALL) tournament.

Whereas in the U.S. it's really a crapshoot this year. There are going to be people who miss worlds because they lost a game at nats.

This is just sooo silly.
34/29 poeple attended at Belgums/Austrias nationals. And the ones who one, DOESN'T DERSERVE HIS/HER TRIP?
Do you realize that it's not his/her fault there were so few poeple?
So IYO, POEPLE who wins Belgiums/Austrias should not have the trip, because OTHER POEPLE aren't interested in PTCG???????

That opinien is just lame.

Last edited:
If I ever make it to a world event, I will be sorely disappointed if I see all the same faces I saw at my country's nationals. I mean, what's the point in that?

I don't think the international crowd understand exactly how hard it is to get a U.S. invite this year. Trust me, I'd love to have a chance to play a 29-person nationals.

I think by cutting the number of U.S. invites, the inequity has been increased, not decreased. One of the complaints last year was that there were players at worlds who didn't deserve to be there. Now, we've taken out about 1/2 of players that DO deserve to be there--and I'm talking about people who win a 130+ person Gym Challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back