Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Black and White Rules in Reguards to Naitonals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaeger

So I was going to type up a fake email from POP saying they had changed Nationals from a 3 day event to a one day event due to all the time they planned on saving due to so many first turn wins. But decided a late April fools joke on what really isn't a very funny matter probably wasn't a great idea.

So the new rule player going first can play Supporters, Trainers, Stadiums. Thoughts? Go!

So I was going to type up a fake email from POP saying they had changed Nationals from a 3 day event to a one day event due to all the time they planned on saving due to so many first turn wins. But decided a late April fools joke on what really isn't a very funny matter probably wasn't a great idea.

So the new rule player going first can play Supporters, Trainers, Stadiums. Thoughts? Go!

Slowing rare candy might make machamp almost unplayable, making it easier to deal with. Gust of wind reprint was delayed. it's gonna be a lol format for a bit.

Terrible with current format. SP and Sableye become pure faceroll. Expect a GG-like sea of these decks at Nationals.

But, I'm guessing POP's line of reasoning is that mid-season rotation is an even bigger mess -- having to tell newer players that half their cards are nixed, dealing with the PokeGym Hate Machine (i.e. Japanese card ban), etc. A temporary crappy format is nothing new to the game. Heck, the format sucks today. Turning the rating dial from 2 to 1 is probably less of a deal than we're making it out to be.

I must have missed the official announcement about the format and rules changes.

Anyone think this might be a chicken little moment??

The Sky Is Falling....

This is going to be more of a disaster than the movie, The Room.

The idea of letting the leash off of turn one is not my problem. It's the fact that it's being done in THIS format. A format that has over powered basics with an incredible engine, a format with a basic that allows one to go first if they just START with it...and has an easy potential to DONK the opponent at that! Next format, it won't be so bad, as we won't have cards like Uxie, Poke Turn, Sableye, and the like. But, right now? NO.

So, we get the new rules? Big deal?

What if they come in a kill the format to deal with all the whining? What if they don't?

Point is, no one but the powers that be know what is going on past next week.

We might have one format for Regionals and then change the day after for a new format for BRSpring. We don't know.

They could just be funny and open everything up and go Base set on...

If these stay true, expect a massive drop in attendance at Nationals. I know I for one wouldn't be wasting my money on a crapshoot.

@Eeveelover: I think that's slight overexaggeration, especially because TPCi will pretty much never reuse the old WOTC sets. Still, you're right in the whole " let's not get upset because we can't do anything about it" deal. Also, nice avatar!

When did TPCi OP tell us these rules would be in effect for Nats? I havent heard that. Jumping the gun a bit??

Come on, Keith, let's not be intentionally blind here. The list of rules changes is bundled with the BW theme decks. The implication is painfully obvious.

Please cite when a core rule change has ever been held back. TPC is not going to bring a new player in and teach them BW rules only to spring something completely different on them at a tournament. If the goal is to get kids into the game, that seems like the best way to drive them out instead.

So, we get the new rules? Big deal?

Frankly I don't care either way. I'm just describing what I see coming. Writing on the wall and all that.

POP could always surprise us with a mid-season rotation, but they've never done it before and they've given no indication that they plan to now. Indeed, bundling that rules doc indicates that they plan to go full bore with these changes into the current format.

If these stay true, expect a massive drop in attendance at Nationals. I know I for one wouldn't be wasting my money on a crapshoot.

You act like the format isn't a crapshoot now. You either play a donk deck or a counter to a donk deck. All this does is ice a few of the counters.

Me, I go to Nationals for the people, not the tournament.

You act like the format isn't a crapshoot now. You either play a donk deck or a counter to a donk deck. All this does is ice a few of the counters.

I'd rather take beatable SP's/Gengar/Gyarados over unbeatable Sabledonk. I go for the people too, but I can't justify a 3-4 day trip to Indianapolis for nothing when I could be making money. I love the city, don't get me wrong, but I can't justify it, sorry.

The rules take effect when B/W is officially released, shortly after Regionals.

I fully expect that BR's, NATS, the LCQ and Worlds will be played using these rules. I do not expect a mid season set rotation.

We have always played by the most current rules published here, and never had a mid season set rotation.

Yes, there is an annoyingly harmful likelihood that upsets will result from the format's environment coming soon.

The game has always required a balance between what you want your deck to do and countering decks that keep that from being possible.

I expect much wailing and gnashing of teeth when "top" players fall to decks "noobs" put together, and I empathize with the seeming unfairness; but there have always been upsets, good players who have bad days, donk decks, and failures to adjust to the metagame.

P!P is in the unenviable position of drawing ire no matter what they do.

When I was in the Infantry, running ambush and reconnaissance patrols in the Korean DMZ, when artillery, mortar, and small arms fire was exchanged, when the temperature reached 40 below zero with the wind chill factored, or 110 above with near total humidity, when we hiked mountains with full ruck, when things didn't go as we wished, we told ourselves and each other, "Suck it up, and drive on."

Put it in perspective, and your complaints are about rule changes and cards allowed in a children's game. I offer you a former soldier's advice, suck it up Light Fighters.

P!P is in the unenviable position of drawing ire no matter what they do.
If they take the format Japan has, you can't complain about P!P but only about the card creators by themselves. B/W cards and rules obviously were designed for a HGSS-on format as you see in Japan.

When I was in the Infantry, running ambush and reconnaissance patrols in the Korean DMZ, when artillery, mortar, and small arms fire was exchanged, when the temperature reached 40 below zero with the wind chill factored, or 110 above with near total humidity, when we hiked mountains with full ruck, when things didn't go as we wished, we told ourselves and each other, "Suck it up, and drive on."
Sorry, but did you really just comnpare Pokémon to military? Pokémon is a game that should be fun, not "sucked up".

Sorry, but did you really just comnpare Pokémon to military? Pokémon is a game that should be fun, not "sucked up".

I was comparing the attitude of men who didn't complain and whine when faced with reason to, with my wonder at the complaints and whining that results from playing a children's game.

I'm not comparing Pokemon to military service. I am saying that over the top endless complaining, always offered to better the game, seems even more ridiculous when put in perspective.

POP could always surprise us with a mid-season rotation, but they've never done it before and they've given no indication that they plan to now. Indeed, bundling that rules doc indicates that they plan to go full bore with these changes into the current format.

This comment reminded me of the new Online TCG, and how surprised I was to see Machop SF get played by the computer. They could have gotten away with HS+ or even PL+. Just one more piece of evidence that indicates they could still be embracing MD-SF through August.

If anyone knows of a great anti donk deck please share! lol
It is called SP. Play a bunch of Collector, Call, and Cyrus. You should be fine ;D OR you could play my favorite deck... Magikarp Unown Q donk is a fantastic deck.. where you start with Magikarp and Unown Q and then get donked :D

I feel this change was inevitable. Like Pokedad said though, just suck it up and move on. We can complain all we want to, but we cannot do much by complaining. Play with the format and do your best

LionHeart, banning cards is a horrible idea. Banning Uxie will kill the format's speed and consistency while banning Sablock will just kill a bunch of decks off. It won't fix too many donk decks. People are hopefully encouraged to play good decks. Most people who normally top cut would rather play skill-based decks (as they have skill) over luck-based decks. I can only hope that donks won't be as consistent as people say they will be.

Let's not forget about Dos. Trainers, Supporters, and BTS on the same turn with a chance to avoid getting Sabledonked? Yes Plz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back