Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Blastoise/Feraligatr: Overhyped?

Nekizalb

I've been browsing the Deck Help and Strategy forum for quite a while (as in a couple of months) and one thing I've noticed is that a lot of Blastoise/Feraligatr decks have been popping up. I am wondering why they are popping up when the deck does not seem to be doing well.

The deck requires two heavy stage two lines in order to work- at least a 3-2-3 line of Blastoise and at least a 2-1-2 line of Feraligatr. In addition, it needs 4 Energy for one Blastoise to attack. If that Blastoise goes down, then the next Blastoise will need two additional Energy to attack, provided that the KO'd Blastoise used its attack the turn before it was KO'd. However, Judge is a very popular card in the current format. Playing a Judge before KOing a Blastoise requires the opponent to get 4 more Energy so the second Blastoise can attack. I have seen some decks running Floatzel GL Lv. X, but keep in mind that you still have to get Floatzel GL Lv. X out in order to recover. In addition, Judge can take away the two Energies in your hand, requiring you to draw two more with a starting hand of four cards.

Now, let's take a look at three of the most popular decks in the format: LuxChomp, Jumpluff, and Sablelock, and their matchups against Blastgatr.

Blastoise has Lightning Weakness, and Luxray GL Lv. X can easily take advantage of that. It only requires a Flash Bite with Lucario GL in play for a Luxray to KO a Blastoise. In addition, Floatzel's Lightning Weakness makes it an easy target for Luxray.Garchomp C Lv. X can also harm the deck's setup by sniping Claydols, which is crucial to the deck's success. Blastgatr is also hurt early-game by Power Sprays, and it is very easy for the LuxChomp player to put three SPs into play and hold a couple of Power Sprays in his/her hand. Overall, the matchup is favorable for LuxChomp.

Jumpluff can Bright Look up a Feraligatr and KO it with Mass Attack due to Feraligatr's x2 Grass Weakness. This slows the deck down immensely. Jumpluff can also OHKO a Blastoise through Flash Bites. Jumpluff gets set up a lot faster, and continues to bring out Jumpluffs in games faster than Blastgatr can bring out Blastoises. Overall, the matchup is favorable for Jumpluff.

With Sablelock's huge disruption potential, I think that in some matches Blastgatr won't even get the required four Energy to attack. Sablelock also runs Judge and Giratina, both of which can slow the deck down by robbing it of Energy. Overall, the matchup is favorable for Sablelock.

So with unfavorable matchups against three of the most popular decks in the format, why are people still trying to make Blastgatr decks? Any other thoughts?

Because it is a Blastoise that is actually playable--but that doesn't mean it is good for this format. It is another typical set-up deck like Charizard/Typhlosion and so on. It isn't that good tho.

The fact that its in the deck help section a lot points to the fact its not working, rather than it is working. In fact, it shows that (in a classic situation in this game) the combination works perfectly.... in theory

It does have a nasty matchup with LuxChomp and Jumpluff, which I think will sadly see it from getting played. Don't buy the Sablelock matchup though.

^How can a double stage 2 deck ever set up vs sablock, if sablock can keep a jumpluff deck from setting up?

//peace

Blastoise has Lightning Weakness, and Luxray GL Lv. X can easily take advantage of that. It only requires a Flash Bite with Lucario GL in play for a Luxray to KO a Blastoise. In addition, Floatzel's Lightning Weakness makes it an easy target for Luxray.Garchomp C Lv. X can also harm the deck's setup by sniping Claydols, which is crucial to the deck's success. Blastgatr is also hurt early-game by Power Sprays, and it is very easy for the LuxChomp player to put three SPs into play and hold a couple of Power Sprays in his/her hand. Overall, the matchup is favorable for LuxChomp.

How does Power Spray wreck early game? The only thing sprayable in that deck is Floatzel GLX's Water Rescue. Wash Out and Rain Dance have no usage limits. Mid-Late Game makes more sense, when Water Rescue would be needed to save a Feraligatr or Blastoise.

How does Power Spray wreck early game? The only thing sprayable in that deck is Floatzel GLX's Water Rescue. Wash Out and Rain Dance have no usage limits. Mid-Late Game makes more sense, when Water Rescue would be needed to save a Feraligatr or Blastoise.

Water Rescue is a Pokebody, not a Poke power, so it cannot be sprayed.

I've been playing Gatorade (my name for Blastgatr) ever since it came out. It's extremely fun when it is set-up because you completely wreck your opponents, but if you cannot get it set up, and keep it mind it is very slow, then you won't get very far with it.

Nekizalb said:
The deck requires two heavy stage two lines in order to work- at least a 3-2-3 line of Blastoise and at least a 2-1-2 line of Feraligatr. In addition, it needs 4 Energy for one Blastoise to attack. If that Blastoise goes down, then the next Blastoise will need two additional Energy to attack, provided that the KO'd Blastoise used its attack the turn before it was KO'd. However, Judge is a very popular card in the current format. Playing a Judge before KOing a Blastoise requires the opponent to get 4 more Energy so the second Blastoise can attack. I have seen some decks running Floatzel GL Lv. X, but keep in mind that you still have to get Floatzel GL Lv. X out in order to recover. In addition, Judge can take away the two Energies in your hand, requiring you to draw two more with a starting hand of four cards.

Floatzel Gl Lv.X is extremely easy to get out in the deck. Trust me, I do it consistently.

Hardest thing to get out is BOTH Gatr and Blastoise at the same time. This can really hurt you.

Yes, Judge will force energy out of your hand, but you should be able to easily draw into it with Claydol, Roseanne's, or if your like me, you've previously rain danced all your energy so you can use wash out in case of being Judged.

Honestly, the deck isn't quite as bad as you might think, and it is actually pretty darn fun, just don't be expecting to win too much with it.

wouldnt it make more sense to run floatzel ul in the place of gatr. yea you dont have the infinite attachments of rain dance. but its a stage one which makes it a bit easier to get out. i personally dont think blastoise is to good to begin with. one judge wrecks your day,

How does Power Spray wreck early game? The only thing sprayable in that deck is Floatzel GLX's Water Rescue.

Power Spray is used on Claydols and Uxies early-game to prevent you from drawing while Luxray attacks Blastoises. This makes it difficult for the deck to set up. As mentioned by MattPL, Water Rescue is not Sprayable, but Floatzel is still an easy Luxray target.

wouldnt it make more sense to run floatzel ul in the place of gatr. yea you dont have the infinite attachments of rain dance. but its a stage one which makes it a bit easier to get out. i personally dont think blastoise is to good to begin with. one judge wrecks your day,

Floatzel UL is sprayable. Spraying your attack for 1 whole turn can completely wreck your day. Judge is not that much of a threat. I've been judged plenty of times while running this deck. It almost never affects me.

Nekizalb said:
Power Spray is used on Claydols and Uxies early-game to prevent you from drawing while Luxray attacks Blastoises. This makes it difficult for the deck to set up. As mentioned by MattPL, Water Rescue is not Sprayable, but Floatzel is still an easy Luxray target.

Yes, power spray is used for Claydols and Uxies, and this will hurt you. A lot.

Floatzel Lv.X should constantly be sitting on your bench until a pokemon gets KO, then you pull it into active only to free retreat next turn. However, while this has not happened to me yet, I'll say good luck against a bright look:frown:

Ha, I read it again, and Water Rescue sounds to me like it should've been a power. Even so, I was thinking of the next format when I first posted here, so maybe in future sets the game may change towards a supporter-based draw engine. Uxie will just have to play the unfortunate victim.

I've been noticing people in my meta starting to use Glaceon Lv. X just to help counter against Blastoise/Feraligatr. It's a bad matchup I'm sure but with a Dialga G Lv. X tech or possibly Aggron RR with Lucario GL you may have a good chance of beating Glaceon with BlastiGatr.

By running Lucario GL over Floatzel GL you're running the risk of not being able to recover your Blastoise or Feraligatr Prime which can help you make comebacks faster than without and Dialga G Lv. X is mainly in the deck for Time Crystal after it Levels Up and put onto the bench then you won't have to worry about Glaceon X's Chilly Breath regardless If it's Active or not.

If your opponent gets Glaceon X out before you have the chance to set up with Blastoise/Feraligatr you're screwed plain and simple and If they have Vileplume on their bench that also means no Rare Candy or Pokemon Communication so either way it's a loss for BlastiGatr.

Even If they have Vileplume benched they can just D-Grace with Spiritomb to get around using Rare Candy to evolve any Stage 2's they're running.

Have you ever though, they may be mention to try it out for fun.

Some people in the TCG world, play decks from what they are comfort with.

I've ran a BlastGatr Deck, and found it to run very smoothly, considering all you need to do mainly is set up a Blastoise and Feraligatr, and snipe for 100 every turn, along help with Feraligatr.

Floatzel GL level X, could be used to rescue pokemons such as Blastoise And Feraligatr, which is why people may want to run the deck.

This may be the reason people still play this deck, because it's a easy and fun deck to run.

To be honest, I use this deck, with quite the techs, alongside to help support my Gatr and Blastoise.

I've so far enjoy'd playing with this deck, and would like to keep running it, may use it for nats, and it may do good.

But I will see during nats, if i't will run smoothly.

For Luxray GL level X, you can always fit in Exploud (SV) to get away your pokemons weakness, so Blastgatr could be a helpful deck if you run the right techs along side with it.

What bothers me the most is that people make a PT-on or MD-on version. It will definitely not work without claydol.

Back