Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

blazeray-- to call, or not to call?

mewbreon

does call energy hurt blazerays consistency ??

ive been testing both ways out.
if i USE call, it helps bad starts... but hurts good starts. (IE starting with blaziken... and having to use the call becuase i didnt start with a fire energy)

Call is situational...I've had times a fire energy would have been an AMAZING start, but started with a Call Energy instead....and the other way around where I had a call in hand along with a Claydol and went first...T2 Claydol is nice. It just depends how you like to play your deck.

Definitely use Call. How many times are you even going to need that fire energy when you're going first?

4 Call for sure.

You play tons of techs.

You can't do anything on the first turn, but with Call Energy in the deck you can. . . Think of it as a. . . Unwasted turn if that makes sence.

Last edited:
I think that call energy is an absolute must.

Opening with it is amazing and often saves you the use of an energy gain by forcing you to attach a second energy(Which late game is usually a blessing in disguise)

T1 Luring Flame can be nice.

But it's not worth losing all the consistency Call brings just to slightly increase your chances of doing it.

Call energy is as important in SP as it is in everything else.

The only Pokemon that can attack in the deck turn 1, with you going first, is Blaziken FB, and your opponent won't always even have a bench for you to Luring Flame a Pokemon off of at that point; I know that I rarely ever bench anything at the start of the game unless I am paranoid that I'm going to get KOed by Sableye (which is such a rare occasion these days). Thus, Call is often going to be your only option anyway if you open the game up, and it is an amazing one.

The ability to get Luxray GL into play with Call lets you have the option to get a turn 2 Bright Look off, and we all know how powerful that is.

IDK if it's just me, but I HATE call in Blazeray.
Really Luring Flames T1 can help almost as much if not more than call.
Why?
Usually your opponett will start w/ what they want, bring up something w/ a one retreat cost and that slow them down a turn. I can see where it helps but for me my list was very consistent(not many techs) and didn't need call. Depends on the list but I don't like it.

Yeah, I dont like too much call in blazeray.

You want to start with Blaziken FB to do luring flame T1. If your forced to go first, then T1 luring flame is beast.

I myself run BlazeRay with 2 call energy. Even if I have a poor start and no call in hand, once I play a trainer/supporter, thats all better now.

So run 2 maybe 3. NOT 4.

Any player with any intelligence, won't play more than one basic at the start of the game. This is a smart move, not only for Blaze, but against any other deck as well. The less your opponent knows about what you play, the less they can prepare for it with a call energy they start with. After that, they counter that move by warping, or using a call of their own to set up. Then you feel salty because you just handed your opponent field advantage.

Any player with any intelligence, won't play more than one basic at the start of the game. This is a smart move, not only for Blaze, but against any other deck as well. The less your opponent knows about what you play, the less they can prepare for it with a call energy they start with. After that, they counter that move by warping, or using a call of their own to set up. Then you feel salty because you just handed your opponent field advantage.

Thats an unfair comment.

Its foolish to play only 1 pokemon at the start when your able to play a second.
Why? You run the risk of being Donked.

Who cares if you reveal a pokemon in your deck, your already going to play the match.

And if you go second, you will be crying when you could of won, but didnt cause you got donked.

Thats an unfair comment.

Its foolish to play only 1 pokemon at the start when your able to play a second.

Who cares if you reveal a pokemon in your deck, your already going to play the match.

And if you go second, you will be crying when you could of won, but didnt cause you got donked.

It's actually a very accurate and "fair" statement. I'd say your chances of getting Luring Flame'd/Invite Trapped/even Pushed Away (Gible MT) are much higher than getting Sableye Overconfident...ed. Most Gyarados play 1 Dark at most nowadays in favor of Cyclone/Warp/Call, and Gyarados is the only mainstream deck that plays Sableye.

So, it's actually not "foolish to play only one Pokemon at the start when you're able to play a second."

Anyway, definitely go for 4 Call in BlazeLux. It helps with Garchomp, lategame when you're running dry of Gains, and gives you great and faster starts. It also can get a T1 Power Spray online fairly easily.

Thats an unfair comment.

If your opponent plays first, they WILL NOT donk your BlazeRay deck. If you go first, you can always just place the bench down at that point. It's always a smarter move, unless you have a poke with less than 60 HP and feel scared of Sableye. Because this is a superior move, it will happen much more often than not. Because of this occurrence, a T1 Luring Flame is pointless. Because a T1 Luring Flame is pointless, Call is the best choice for your first move.

Definitely run four.

Luring Flame is really helpful.
I have an example.

I played agaisnt another player who knew I was running blazeray.
He benched a Spiritomb and had a gastly active.
I had blaze fb.

At first i thought he was being clever, but I chose to luring flame the tomb and it paid off.

It comes up, and takes the 20 from burn. He uses darkness grace and takes 10. Now he is down to 30 already.
Vapor kick for KO.

I freed myself from Trainer lock by useing luring flame.

It does have its purpose. I COULD of used a call energy, but then I risk further lock. Not happening.

Luring Flame is a GREAT move. I'm not doubting that. It is just nothing compared to the set up Call Energy provides. In the above scenario, perhaps Luring Flame was the better move. One very rare occasion does not justify superiority over Call. Call is just.... Amazing.

Generally speaking, Call when you're going second is not as good as Call when you're going first. Either way, though, it sets up your field without the use of a supporter.

Just wanted to add that the OP's question is oxymoronic-- Call IS the epitome of early-game consistency, and, naturally, its inclusion in a deck isn't going to be detracting from consistency. Even decks that typically do not run Call such as Kingdra and Beedrill wouldn't be less consistent for running it (although they might be lacking in other departments, depending on what was cut to make room for the Call).

Call energy always increases consistency. Its presence can't ever bring consistency down.

Compare this situation to flytrap. People who play flytrap also play call energy. They understand that you can start with a trapinch and an energy, and still want to call rather than lure/invite early- because the majority of the time you cannot successfully invite/lure against good players.

Against good players, they won't bench something to be lured early. They will guard a pokemon, etc. You are better off using call and setting up, than hoping that you get lucky and your opponent mismanages his or her field.

It´s the best way to put 3 Calls into any Sp Deck, because 4 is to much, because there are already 15-20 Basics
- but that´s just me

It´s the best way to put 3 Calls into any Sp Deck, because 4 is to much, because there are already 15-20 Basics
- but that´s just me

Yes, there may be that many basics.

But, who says you'll get the ones you need at the right time? Call chooses the ones you need.

Like you make it sound like you need 3 of any basic.

True, but you need three of the right basic.

Call also counts as an energy.

4 all the way.

Back