Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

BreaKING the Metagame (Updated due to Mantine Errata)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookieqween

Well, this is Gymbo, posting under my girlfriend's username since I'm having problems logging in. Anyways, I just got home from the Chapel Hill, NC City Championship. And I am finally going to unveil the deck I've been testing in secret for weeks. Here we go.

Pokemon: 21
4 Dunsparce (Sandstorm)
3 Slakoth (Claw)
3 Vigoroth (Fury Swipes)
3 Slaking
3 Mantine (Rocket Returns)
2 Pidgey (FRLG)
1 Pidgeotto (FRLG)
2 Pidgeot (FRLG)

Energy: 16
12 Water
4 Double Rainbow

Trainers: 23
3 Steven's Advice
3 Copycat
3 Celio's Network
3 Rare Candy
3 Warp Point
3 Surprise! Time Machine
2 VS Seeker
2 Ancient Tomb
1 High Pressure System

Strategy: Get a Slaking, with 2 Water and a DRE, Pidgeot, and 2-3 Mantine in play. Mantine heals Slaking. Pidgeot acts as your free retreater with Warp Point usage. And it also is an amazing card to use for searching for what I need to play. Also counters my weakness to Fighting. The biggest surprise in the deck are my Time Machines (pun intended). I can play Time Machine and if my Slaking has less than 70 damage, I can reattack with my Slaking again and again and again. Between dealing 90 damage, then healing up to 30 and being able to search for whatever card I need each turn, it works pretty well.

The real power is really in Slaking's Critical Move attack anyways. Lazy really hurts a lot of decks out there. The biggest deck Slaking hurts is obviously Dark Dragonite. It also cripples Blaziken as well. I have very good matchups against Dragonite and Blaziken. However, I am aware of my obvious weakness to Monarchy and Magma. My hardest matchup is Monarchy as I can OHKO Groudon in one shot witout DRE.

As far as Pokemon with 100-120 HP, I use a very simple strategy. I use Pidgeot and a DRE to deal 30 damage to Clutch and keep that Pokemon from retreating, then finishing them with Slaking.

Now, I also played in a tournament, so lemme get to that now...

So, I flew down to do some college visits with Jake and do some visiting with my girlfriend and her family. So, Saturday I get up and we drive to Cerebral Hobbies in Chapel Hill, NC. The registration started at like noon or something. So then we had to play six rounds. Before the matches started, I hung out with Steph and the usual people that I bump into. However, today I was able to finally meet Prime. I ended up signing a Slaking for him before he went home, just as a sort of momento.

Round 1: Me versus David Shaw: He was running some sort of Aqua/Fossil combination deck. I had a very bad start, but topdecked the Pidgey, to play with the Rare Candy and Celio's Network that I had in my hand. So, I Rare Candied to Pidgeot, got a Steven's Advice and just wasted him. I took two quick prizes, and he tried stalling me out for a long, long time with all of his fossils. So, I just attached two energy to my Pidgeot and attacked the Fossils with my Pidgeot. Time was called, and I was ahead on prizes, so I win. 1-0

Round 2: Me versus Brian Leary: Brian was running Speedrill/Gorebyss. He had absolutely nothing, and I had a godly start. I just got my combo going quickly, and mowed through all six of his Pokemon. 2-0

Round 3: Me versus Stephanie Barlock: Stephanie was running the exact same card list as I was, so I knew it was going to be a rough game. Neither of us could use our Pidgeots or Mantines if we each had out Slakings as the active. It was a war of attrition, however, she had a worse start than I do, I was able to slowly overpower and eventually beat her. Sorry angel. :( 3-0

Round 4: Me versus Jake Burt: Jake was running Magma (Imagine that!) I didn't have a very good start and started with a Pidgey and could NOT get the Pidgeot, he was able to power up his Groudons. His Magnetic Storms and Darkness energy were just too much for my Pidgeot and Slakings to overcome. I lost, and pretty miserably too. 3-1

Round 5: Me versus Dave Myers: He was using Flygon. He started with two Magnemite and I started with Dunsparce. I had a halfway decent start, and my Copycats didn't do me much use because he never had a hand larger than 4 cards for more than half the game. I eventually have Pidgeot out, and search for the Vigoroth and Slaking. I get the combo flowing. Now, earlier, I had to use Ancient Tomb to break his Mt. Moon so I could use my Mantines. So, I got my High Pressure System and OHKOed his Flygon. I was able to overcome him and after I took down Flygon, it was only a matter of time before I won. 4-1

Round 6: Me versus Jordan Hill: FINALLY, I get to play against either Blaziken OR Dragonite. Jordan was running Blaziken. So, I mean we each had a great start. However, he KOed my Pidgeot with Rayquaza. All I needed to do would be able to get my Slaking and I would have won. I had the Vigoroth with four energy, but just lost steam and was overcome. Steven's Advice for six, and no Slaking, not even a Celios! I gave in, just to end the pain. 4-2

Okay, so Jeff (the head judge) cut to a Top 4 for each age division. Jake went in first, I came in second, Stephanie got third, and Brian Leary was seeded fourth. Greeeeeat, I had to play Stephanie AGAIN =_= So, after the pairings were announced, we all had our decks checked.

Top Four (Quarterfinals): Me versus Stephanie Barlock:
Game One: Okay, hooray Mirror Match! Steph wins the flip and goes first. We each had decent setups, however mine is better, as I get Pidgeot first. We pretty much had the exact same Benches and everything. We go back and forth and I had to play carefully because she played four Water on Slaking, so my Pidgeots were able to be OHKOed. Well, after battling back and forth, I just took the lead. Steph came me the game so we could continue and not waste time. 1-0
Game Two: Since she lost the first game, she goes first again! Yay! So, she gets a much better start than I did. It was like the first game, but in reverse. She gets Pidgeot like turn three or four, and just starts scaaaaaaaaaaaring me. So, we battle back and forth again. And somehow I was able to overcome her again. It was terrible beating her again, but I had no choice. 2-0

In between rounds, I watched the other Top 4 Match between Jake Burt and Brian Leary. Brian was able to defeat Jake with his Speedrill, so we finish waiting on the 11-14 match to finish. So, we get ready and go to battle.

Top Two (Finals): Me versus Brian Leary:
Game One: We each have a pretty good start. His Speedrills are just scaring me because he has three Weedles and Gorebyss. So, we go back and forth, and he ATM Rocks me, sending my Pidgeot back into my hand. He has three cards in his hand. So, I risk sending up my Slaking versus his Dunsprace getting some quick prizes. So, I take a couple prizes, and he draws and sends up a Beedrill and plays a Weedle, Rare Candies to Beedrill then attaches an energy. He had all four cards, and was just like -_-. So, he attacks and thinks he KOs my Slaking, but he only did 110. So, I heal, and Warp Point and attack with Pidgeot, attempting to heal my Slaking for a couple turns. He KOs my Pidgeot, then I KO his Beedrill, then he sends up his Gorebyss and attaches another DRE to his Pokemon. So then he KOs my Slaking. So, I build up another Slaking after letting my Mantines take all kinds of damage and sacrifice my Dunsparce. Eventually, I get the Slaking and just finish his Beedrills off. 1-0
Game Two: I have a really good start and he doesn't have very decent one either. It takes me a good amount of time to beat him, but I gradually take each and every one of my prizes. The first game took like 33 minutes, and this one was over in 12. 2-0

So, I win the tournament and I am pretty glad. I had fun and it was fun getting to test out my brand new deck and win with it. I think it could be a HUGE contender. Especially with Salamence just around the corner.

I don't have any slops, but props are in order, but I'm too tired to think of them all now, so I just wanna thank the Barlocks, thank Jeff, and thank all of my gracious opponents throughout the day, especially Brian Leary. Awesome job man!

Thanks for reading. Thoughts and comments are more than welcome!

~Jim Ferrell

Last edited:
Wow simply wow. Great job on your finish at the CC. I can't believe a Speedrill deck made Top two. I just came back from Woodbridge, VA where a Speedrill deck came 3rd. There has been a lot of critisim towards Speedrill lately and now its getting wins left and right.

Awesome job with the Slaking deck Jim. Hopefully this deck won't be at Stafford :)

Congratulations! Hopefully i'll get the same reuslt. I doubt it though as i'm just going to playing a disruption deck. It'll be fun though. I can really anger my opponent with the burns and the rapidash :p

Yeah, it's a very nice deck. I got slaughtered by it, by Stephanie Barlock. Good deck, good deck.

Congrats on taking the medal, and thanks for the signature card!

Wow Jim, I really love the concept. It's great to see something win that none of us have tested yet. If you don't mind, I will probably give this puppy a try. Good job taking down that tourney.

Martin said:
...It's great to see something win that none of us have tested yet...
Actually Martin, Magnechu, his friend and I have been working on something like this for a week or so. WE found that it was too slow to do much, but I spose Gymbo proved us wrong. Nice job man.
As for the list, I was testing a 1-1 magneton line in mine to get back slack's energy. :O Might wanna give it a shot if you feel deprived of energy at various points in the game ;/

I've been looking around at some japanese decks lately and Slaking seems to be pretty popular (prolly due to SallyEX).

They basically run the same lines as you but with either a 2-2 Gardy line or 2-2 Metagross (the new one comming out soon here) over the Mantine line and 1 Dunsparce. They also get Boost/Warp energies :[

Anyways enough rambling, nice deck.

Well I guess the Japanese players wouldn't use Mantine because theirs only works while active. Good job Gymbo. BTW, are you coming down to VA/MD for any of our cities?

Last edited:
I have a friend who ran slacking gorebyss during 2004 stadium challenge and made top 6 in the fifteen and up. I think Slacking has been overlooked since it came out. Goodjob.

*sigh* I knew the whole "I thought of this deck idea" before concept too. But prior to this, I saw one Slaking deck, and regardless, some of the aspects I play in this deck I haven't seen anywhere else. Primary example of this is Surprise! Time Machine. EVERYONE tells me to just play Switch. But if I don't HAVE Pidgeot, I can use S!TM to attack again. Time Machine also lets me attack the Active again.

Thank you to everyone for the props and whatnot. I've tested this deck for a long, long time. So yeah, whatever.

~Jim Ferrell

Hey Jim, I like it a lot.

Down here in Florida we've got a Slaking/Blaziken/Pidgeot combo that is running rampant, but I like the looks of yours. Easier than running 3 Stage 2s (although it's working great for folks down here) and the Surprise! Time Machine is a great idea.

Congo Rats!

I think you might need to run some Energy Recycle Systems in here, around 2 of them. If the game lasts too long, you might notice that all your Basic Energies are gone and you can't use Critical Move anymore. :)

PokeMasterFlabface said:
I think you might need to run some Energy Recycle Systems in here, around 2 of them. If the game lasts too long, you might notice that all your Basic Energies are gone and you can't use Critical Move anymore. :)
Well, Slaking doesn't need to attack a huge number of times to draw 6 prizes, although 1 ERS may be useful.

Good Job on your deck. I think Slaking is one of the best cards in the game, it just depends what you combo it with. I run a Slaking deck with Wynaut/Wobb/Gorebyss, and its been beating almost everything put up against it. Its on the forum,could you take a look and tell me what you think. (Time Machine does work better with switch) Swoop Teleporter is pretty good too.

http://www.pokegym.net/showthread.php?t=12869

Okay, I'm back home.

I wanted to address a couple things. It's very hard for players to look at this deck on paper and see how it works. You really have to play very intelligently and carefully. As far as playing the deck, basically, you attack six times with Slaking and win. Once you take down the big gun in most decks, and have their powers turned off, they cannot recover. This is pretty much true especially in Blaziken for example.

This deck gets so much better after the next set with the Stadium, Meteor Shower. Rage and Slack Off for huge damage and/or healing is just incredible. I am well aware of the Slaking/Blaziken deck in FL. But, this deck plays totally different than that one for example.

I am not a glory hound. But, several people have watched me play this deck in secret for weeks. I got 1st Saturday, judged Sunday. Steph who also played the deck got 3rd Saturday and 2nd Sunday with this deck. It's obviously working somehow.

Thoughts on changing the deck will be appreciated. I'll post a decklist containing future cards sometime down the road. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Crossfire, you posted before I did, while I was typing. Like the FL Slaking deck, your deck is a lot different than mine. Pidgeot/Warp Point is vital to my deck. Time Machine lets me re-attack if I do not have Pidgeot available. Time Machine is also vital. Both decks are missing S!TM. Which is a key tecH. Again, this deck's strategy is totally different. EDIT

~Jim

Last edited:
yep blazi slaking is the bomb ^-^

i won cities with roselia over mantine

it heals but you do need room and healing 30 isnt alot but instead your wasting alot of your space

so jim you should try and using something else over mantine

and congradulation on your win ^-^

~fan fan

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back