Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Breloom

Tails

Battle Blast Breloom, card 16/109 in EX R&S...

Does anyone know if its Battle Blast attack is correct? Breloom's a Grass, but the damage gets increased according to the amount of Fighting Energy on it...

If I knew where my copy of Sapphire was, I could check type, but...

This just seems odd... Anyone know if it's a misprint?

actually, it's true. Breloom is grass/fighting in the gameboy. His attack on the card is in fact supposed to be pumped by fighting energy.

Well, I can't tell. I went to look at the Japanese version of Breloom, and the Japanese doesn't have ANY symbol on it, so they prolly wrote out Fighting or whatever it may be in text.
Japanese Breloom scan

They may have messed up the symbol, like what happened to Blaine's Charizard and Crystal Nidoking, but as for now, I'd say it's right, but have no backing other than a guess. ;)

[EDIT: I went back and looked at the scan again, and YES, there IS a small Fighting symbol in there. Go click on my link and look closely. It's just not in its little brown bubble like we're used to seeing it. So, YES, the Fighting is correct on the English version.]

Last edited:
Oh. OK then. Thanks a bundle. Thought it looked wrong, but, I guess not...

:: Pulls Breloom out of his deck because it's tri-color already and Fighting isn't one of those colors ::

I just noticed something, Baboon... The symbol IS on the card. 4th from left. Apparently, they don't put it in the colored circle... how odd...

Last edited:
It's important to consider that if you see an unusual Energy type on a card's attack, it is either (a) an error, or more likely, (b) a reflection of what second type that Pokémon is in the Game Boy games. This also explains why Pokémon like Omanyte, Kabuto, and Chinchou had more than one color of card.

If anyone from Nintendo's reading this, take note...

And we've yet to see Water versions of Slowking, Sneasel, and Smoochum. And Fighting versions of the Quagsire line as well as Nidoqueen, Heracross, Steelix, and Corsola. On top of Grass versions of the Tentacruel and Gengar lines as well as Scizor and Qwilfish. (It's too early in the R/S card series for the R/S Pokémon to be added to these lists.)

Last edited:
Actually, the japanese card has the fighting symbol in the text. Remember that the ADV sets in Japan don't use the colored energy symbols anymore, just the symbol itself, a fist in fighting's case. It's the fourth symbol in the text. ;)

Carrington388 said:
And we've yet to see Water versions of the Slowpoke line, Sneasel, and Smoochum. And Fighting versions of the Quagsire line as well as Nidoqueen, Heracross, Steelix, and Corsola. On top of Grass versions of the Tentacruel and Gengar lines as well as Scizor and Qwilfish. (It's too early in the R/S card series for the R/S Pokémon to be added to these lists.)

Slowpoke - I'm almost positive there's a Japanese-only promo with it as a Water-type card.

As for the others... they just seem to prefer one type for most Pokémon. Meh.

Carrington388 said:
And we've yet to see Water versions of the Slowpoke line, Sneasel, and Smoochum. On top of Grass versions of the Tentacruel and Gengar lines as well as Scizor and Qwilfish.

I know that Gengar is a Poison type, but a Grass Gengar just wouldn't appeal to me. Too wierd.

Breloom is Gr***/Fighting, Battle Blast is written correctly. Also, in the Japanese card (mostly prior to ADV) they don't use the game symbol, they use the kanji for the type.

60. Rainbow NRG DOES provide all, but only one at a time. You could possibly switch it after you attack, but then you'd have an illegal attack, if I'm thinking straight.

If you had two, though...

Not quite Tails. Take a look at rainbow energy (courtesy Pokeschool):

Pokeschool said:
Attach Rainbow Energy to 1 of your Pokemon. While in play, Rainbow Energy provides every type of energy but provides only 1 energy at a time. (Doesn’t count as a basic Energy card when not in play.) When you attach this card from your hand to 1 of your Pokemon, put 1 damage counter on that Pokemon.

Rainbow energy counts as all types of energy at all times, but provides one unit of energy at a time. You don't have to choose anything. So a rainbow energy can conceivibly pay the grass portion of the attack's cost, and add damage as a fighting energy.

Conversion, no, as conversion only happens before the attack. Ditto can do it, though, seeing as how its Power allows all Energy to provide all types.

And, The Dark Llama, no need to censor the word Grass.

Porygon 2's Energy Conversion would add to the damage total if it is used to convert a Basic energy card into a F energy. Breloom only need F energy to do the extra damage.

Carrington388 said:
Conversion, no, as conversion only happens before the attack. Ditto can do it, though, seeing as how its Power allows all Energy to provide all types.

And, The Dark Llama, no need to censor the word Grass.

I was going to correct you about Ditto, but then I remembered the new Ditto...

So, for Fossil Ditto, you would have to choose Grass or Fighting. An energy card would only count for one color.

For e-Ditto, it would be like Rainbow energy and would count as both colors at the same time.

By the way, Dark Llama did not censor Grass. Our auto-censor was getting a little over-zealous.

OHHHH... ok... Thanks, Yosh. I must have misinterpreted it... thought it only provided one energy of one chosen color...

yoshi1001 said:
Rainbow energy counts as all types of energy at all times, but provides one unit of energy at a time. You don't have to choose anything. So a rainbow energy can conceivibly pay the grass portion of the attack's cost, and add damage as a fighting energy.

You sure about that? o_O

True that you don't have to choose which energy you want the rainbow to be, but it can only provide 1 energy at a time. So, if you use the attack, the rainbow energy would have to be counted as just grass for the duration of the attack.

That's just the way I see it. ;x

Back