Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

can a person from the U.S go to canadian nats?

If the US person is not a Canadian resisident then this person cant complete in the Canadian nationals but still hang out with players etc. Not sure if this person can judge/etc.

Ralts - That is the Jeremy Maron rule. You cant as Jason said. (Jeremy got 3rd at Canadian Nats 05, Won Worlds 05, 3rd Worlds 06 all on the 1 trip from Canadian Nats). So yeh you cant.

Jason - You could judge. The judges are restricted to the same rescrictions. Only players are restricted to what nationals they can play in.

Drew

Ralts - That is the Jeremy Maron rule. You cant as Jason said. (Jeremy got 3rd at Canadian Nats 05, Won Worlds 05, 3rd Worlds 06 all on the 1 trip from Canadian Nats). So yeh you cant.

Jason - You could judge. The judges are restricted to the same rescrictions. Only players are restricted to what nationals they can play in.

Drew

It might just be me but do I detect a hit of sour grapes towards Jereny Maron?

It might just be me but do I detect a hit of sour grapes towards Jereny Maron?

Nope, I was just letting Ralts know why the rule is in place. I have absolutely nothing against what Jeremy did. Doesnt bother me at all, but what he did may have been one of the deciding factors (along with Sean Foisy winning Canadian Nats) for the reason that you can only play in your own countries Nationals.

Drew

What about illegal aliens what county can they compete for? I could always show up in Vancouver BC and say that I am in Canada illegally then maybe they will let me play.(Just kidding) Seriously though, I wish they would let anyone play in Canada, but just have all of the prizes trickle down to the Canadians.

Or heck just let us play swiss and then all non Canadians would have to drop following the final round of swiss an only Canadians would be in the playoffs. I just want to get the chance to participate in a Nationals Championship. I am 80 mins away from Vancouver BC and I have gone there to play in Citys, and Provincials and Gym Challenges before, so why cant we participate Nationals as well?

Yes, I have played in 3 CC, One Provincial and One Gym Challenge in British Columbia Canada and I received Ranking points each time. Infact in 2006 Jeremey Scharf-Kim only went to worlds that year because he won the 11-14 Gym Challenge in British Columbia Canada. Each time you gain/loose points and you are eligible for all prizes (Except travel awards to Canadian Nationals) But right now National Tourn's are closed to non citizens.

I am curious though how that is enforced. I have never been to a National Championship, but I would be surprised if everyone who participated had to prove citizenship to play, so how do they enforce the rule on Participation for Nationals? Does anyone have the answer to that?

Well, during the 05 season a lot of players played outside their nations nationals. The closest to me is Danes and Norwegians winning all Top 8 in Sweden Nationals 2005.

they don't check for citizenship, but you would quickly recognize it if someone not from your country comes to your nationals. But I dunno...For Europe it's much easier I guess, because we all speak the different languages

http://www.go-pokemon.com/op/premierevents/championshipseries/nationals/info/07-08/answers1.html
  • The Pokémon TCG National Championships are open to legal residents of the host country only. Residency in this case is defined as a person who legally resides in the host country or one of its territories, not necessarily a citizen. Proof of residency will be required upon registration.
  • Players who are found in violation of the rules of eligibility are subject to suspension from Pokémon Organized Play and loss of prizes, including, but not limited to, invitations and Travel Awards.
not to mention, one's country is part of the info in their POP/my pokemon account...so once the tourney results were uploaded, i'm sure any non-hostcountry accounts would be flagged.

'mom

Will Canada Nats have side events?

As Americans will be barred from particpating in the Canadian National Championships, does anyone know if there will be side events in Canada this year like there are for Worlds? Just wondering if there is any reason for me and my family to drive the 105 miles from my home to where Canadian Nationals is being held.

Well as you know, the last three years, Nationals has been held in Toronto. No side events were held. Of corse this is a different PTO with a different venue, he might have the resources to pull something off.

You have to remember, Canadian nationals barly tops 150 players. Its a 1 day event, and is held by itself. The US nationals is a two day event, in the middle of a 3 or 4 day GAMING CONVENTION. Meaning wheather you're pokemon 24/7 or you wanna check out some of the new stuff in the gaming world, its up to you.

In shorter terms, enless you wanna hang out with some of your canadian buds from BC and practice inbetween rounds while the rest of your family visits OUR BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY ;-), you'd be better of sticking with the US Nats. (Heck we've had canadians go down for the US nats even tho they couldn't play....havn't had an american at CDN nats since '05)

Now I cant afford to attend US Nats AND Worlds in the same year, so I would much rather play in the Worlds Ginder then US Nats. I could easily attend Candian Nationals as it is so close that I wouldnt even need to get a Hotel room. But as that cannot happen it is too bad. IF US players could attend Candian Nationals you would get 300+ players in it as your 150 Canadians would be joined by 60 players from Wasington and 40 players from Oregon and at least 40 more from Idaho, California, Utah , Arizona and Califonia. All that they would have to do is let US players play and make all worlds invites trikle down to the top Canadian finsishers. Heck my leauge would send about 12 players alone up there.

Oh well maybe next time Canadian Nationals is in BC Pokemon will have changed the rules back and let the Nationals be open to all players again.

Seriously though, I wish they would let anyone play in Canada, but just have all of the prizes trickle down to the Canadians.

Or heck just let us play swiss and then all non Canadians would have to drop following the final round of swiss an only Canadians would be in the playoffs. I just want to get the chance to participate in a Nationals Championship. I am 80 mins away from Vancouver BC and I have gone there to play in Citys, and Provincials and Gym Challenges before, so why cant we participate Nationals as well?

I think the problem would be that even though Americans couldn't make top cut and or get prizes, they could still beat Canadian players in the swiss thus effecting a canadians chances of making top cut. for example, lets say that there are 7 rounds of swiss (as we had last year) to make t16 you had to go 4-2, what happens if you have two canadian players tied with 4-2 records, player a. lost to 2 canadian players, while player b. lost to 2 americans (who would be ranked below canadians), causing player b. to miss the cut. that doesn't seem fair to me.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Well as you know, the last three years, Nationals has been held in Toronto. No side events were held. Of corse this is a different PTO with a different venue, he might have the resources to pull something off.

btw mike, i believe that as of right know the plan is to have a few side events run after the main tourney.

Last edited:
*points to post 11 above*
The Pokémon TCG National Championships are open to legal residents of the host country only. Residency in this case is defined as a person who legally resides in the host country or one of its territories, not necessarily a citizen. Proof of residency will be required upon registration.
  • Players who are found in violation of the rules of eligibility are subject to suspension from Pokémon Organized Play and loss of prizes, including, but not limited to, invitations and Travel Awards.
'mom

So could you play in another country's Nats, if you had dual+ citizenship for that country?

The Pokémon TCG National Championships are open to legal residents of the host country only. Residency in this case is defined as a person who legally resides in the host country or one of its territories, not necessarily a citizen. Proof of residency will be required upon registration.

If you can prove you live in two places at once...

Back