Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Can anyone think of a better list for the upcoming Virizion/Genesect

rcxd999

Hi guys! I came up with this list yesterday because I was wondering what lists might suite Virizion/Genesect:

Genesect Ex x 3
Virizion Ex x 3
Shaymin Ex x 2
Emolga (DRX) x 2
Virizion (NVI) x 2
Virizion (EPO) x 2

Pokemon: 14

Pokemon Catcher x 3
G-Scope/G-Booster/Computer Search x 1
Caitlin x 4
N x 2
Juniper x 3
Ghetsis x 3
Skyla x 4
Ultra Ball x 3
Energy Retrieval x 2
Skyarrow Bridge x 3
Eviolite x 3

T/S/S: 31

Plasma Energy x 4
Grass Energy x 11

Energy: 15

There are going to be many different lists for Genesect/Virizion before they come out and even more once they come out. Can anyone come up with a list they think will benefit Virizion/Genesect? Anyways, here are the translations:

Genesect Ex - Grass - HP170
Basic Pokemon (Team Plasma)

Ability: Red Signal:
When you attach a Plasma Energy from your hand to this Pokemon, you may switch your opponent's active Pokemon with one of his or her benched Pokemon.

[G][G][C] Megalo-Cannon: 100 damage. Does 20 damage to one of your opponent's bench Pokemon. (Don't apply weakness and resistance when damaging the bench)

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: None
Retreat: 1

Virizion Ex - Grass - HP170
Basic Pokemon

Ability: Spring Breeze
Pokemon with [G] energy attached to them cannot be affected by special conditions. (Remove all special conditions from Pokemon with [G] energy attached to them)

[G][C] Emerald Slash: 50 damage. You can attach 2 [G] energy from your deck to one of your benched Pokemon. If you do, shuffle your deck afterwards.

Weakness: Fire (x2)
Resistance: Water (-20)
Retreat: 1

G-Scope - Trainer
Item (Team Plasma)

If this card is attached to Genesect Ex, it gains the following attack:

[G][G]C] G-Scope: This attack does 100 damage to one of your opponent's benched Pokemon. (Don't apply weakness and resistance when damaging the bench)

G-Booster - Trainer
Item (Team Plasma)

If this card is attached to Genesect Ex, it gains the following attack:

[G][G][C] G-Booster: 200 damage. Discard 2 energy cards attached to this Pokemon. This attacks damage is not affected by effects on the defending Pokemon.

Caitlin - Trainer
Supporter

Return any number of cards in your hand to the bottom of your deck in any order you like. Then, draw an equal number of cards

Ghetsis - Trainer
Supporter (Team Plasma)

Your opponent reveals his or her hand and shuffles all item cards found there into his or her deck. Then, draw a number of cards equal to the number of the item cards your opponent shuffled into his or her deck.

Last edited:
Hi guys! I came up with this list yesterday because I was wondering what lists might suite Virizion/Genesect:

Genesect Ex x 3
Virizion Ex x 3
Shaymin Ex x 2
Emolga (DRX) X 2

Pokemon: 10

Pokemon Catcher x 4
G-Scope/G-Booster/Computer Search x 1
Caitlin x 4
N x 2
Juniper x 4
Ghetsis x 3
Skyla x 4
Ultra Ball x 4
Energy Retrieval x 2
Skyarrow Bridge x 3
Eviolite x 4

T/S/S: 35

Plasma Energy x 4
Grass Energy x 11

Energy: 15

There are going to be many different lists for Genesect/Virizion before they come out and even more once they come out. Can anyone come up with a list they think will benefit Virizion/Genesect?

fyi, the mods will make you put Translations up for Genesect/Virizion and anything not in english yet. Do so now before they awake :wink:

I haven't seen/tested this deck yet, since it's another set after freeze, but a Lugia EX may be a nice touch to get the last prizes... obviously adding Colress Machine may be necessary with this.

Also, might want a Non-EX Attacker for Klinklang/Sigi. Face that and you're insta lose with your list.

Normal Guy, The energy acceleration is obviously Virizion energy. Virizion Ex is better than Victini Ex for energy acceleration for 2 reasons:
1) When you use Virizion, you don't need need to play special energies which is what puts other Team Plasma decks at risk because of Enhanced Hammer.
2)Virizion does damage while searching for energy, all for one more energy.

Alann, Ghetsis isn't good against deck like Deoxys/Thundurus as they have too many Pokemon and not enough item cards. That's why Ghetsis isn't seeing play in Japan as Deoxys/Thundurus is used by almost everyone there. But Ghetsis is great against decks Hammertime, Rayeels , etc, late game.

Normal Guy, The energy acceleration is obviously Virizion energy. Virizion Ex is better than Victini Ex for energy acceleration for 2 reasons:
1) When you use Virizion, you don't need need to play special energies which is what puts other Team Plasma decks at risk because of Enhanced Hammer.
2)Virizion does damage while searching for energy, all for one more energy.

Alann, Ghetsis isn't good against deck like Deoxys/Thundurus as they have too many Pokemon and not enough item cards. That's why Ghetsis isn't seeing play in Japan as Deoxys/Thundurus is used by almost everyone there. But Ghetsis is great against decks Hammertime, Rayeels , etc, late game.

But combo of Virizion and Victini would be nice

But combo of Virizion and Victini would be nice

But there are quite a bit more problems with sticking in Victini Ex.

1) It needs a fire energy to use it's first attack and that requires me to play Blend Energy [D][G][P][F] which , if I needed to attach to a Pokemon with it, leaves me in a bad position if my opponent plays Enhanced Hammer
2) Victini Ex is 2 free prizes for almost every deck and with Lugia Ex around, it's more like 3 free prizes now.
3) It doesn't really have a place in the deck as Virizion betters it by doing damage, using the same energy the deck needs and having more HP.

I've also noticed that this topic seems to be going off track. I didn't ask for help on improving the deck, I asked to see what lists people thought benefited Genesect/Virizion. Can we please get back on topic.

But there are quite a bit more problems with sticking in Victini Ex.

1) It needs a fire energy to use it's first attack and that requires me to play Blend Energy [D][G][P][F] which , if I needed to attach to a Pokemon with it, leaves me in a bad position if my opponent plays Enhanced Hammer
2) Victini Ex is 2 free prizes for almost every deck and with Lugia Ex around, it's more like 3 free prizes now.
3) It doesn't really have a place in the deck as Virizion betters it by doing damage, using the same energy the deck needs and having more HP.

I've also noticed that this topic seems to be going off track. I didn't ask for help on improving the deck, I asked to see what lists people thought benefited Genesect/Virizion. Can we please get back on topic.

Play super scoop or that new ace spec, you really only need Victini ex in the first 2 turns if you don't get him by then don't play him

Play super scoop or that new ace spec, you really only need Victini ex in the first 2 turns if you don't get him by then don't play him

What happens if I miss with Super Scoop Up and the Ace spec wastes my Ace spec space which I could use for other, better Ace specs? There are heaps of problems with Victini in this deck.

1) Victini is a waste of space which could be used on better cards.
2) Victini needs a Fire Energy
3) Using Victini means you either have to add Blend Energy [G][P][D][F] or Fire Energy. Blend Energy [G][P][D][F] isn't a basic energy meaning it's almost unsearchable and it's very unreliable. Fire Energy makes the deck's energy line very inconsistent.
4) You'll almost never start with Victini meaning you've wasted 2-6 spaces in your deck.
5) There's no point in using Victini as Virizion betters it.
6) Victini's HP is way to low in this format. Lugia gets 3 free prizes without any help, Darkrai with a Dark Claw kills it, Keldeo doesn't even need to rely on Victini's Weakness and it only takes Rayquaza, two energy to KO it.
7) This deck is meant to kill Keldeo/Blastoise decks, not give them 2-4 free prizes because of Victini.
8) Since a lot of the decks in this format set up quicker, Victini becomes a liability as when you're facing a deck like Keldeo/Blastoise or Speed Darkrai, They set up easily around T2 meaning bye-bye Victini if they started first (or even second for that matter)
9) The space you use on Victini Ex and the other energies could be used on other things such as more supporters as to not have a supporter drought, on more Virizions because Virizion Ex is much more beneficent with it's ability preventing Hypnotoxic Laser and Virbank City Gym combos and does 50 damage for one more energy than Victini and does the exact same job only with more HP and better typing and the non-ex Virizion providing non-ex attack power against Sigilyph and Plasma Klinklang decks.

These are just some of the problems that Victini Ex causes when you add it to quite a few deck, this being one of them. This is why I'am reluctant to take and put in card that does a worse job than the card already in there.

You can get a T1 Emerald Slash with a Virizion EX. Attach Grass Energy and Plasma Badge then use Colress Machine to get a Plasma Energy on it. This way you can accel to your bench T1 and get moving quicker with Genesect EX and dominate the rest of the game.

Obviously there is no place for Victini-Ex in this deck, it would be similar to adding Stunfisk to a Landorus Ex deck ( only with an extra prize). Victini is out-classed.

As for uses for Genesect and Virizion I came up with a list that also uses Ninetas and Munna. The goal is to attach a blend to Ninetails and use Munna's ability to put your opponenent to sleep.if you flip tails: Virizion's ability prevents all status conditions done to your own pokemon, so know problem. The combo of Munna and Laser hits for 150, so Genesect Ex comes in, gets energy acceleration from Virizion and can snipe Ex's on the bench for Jo's white two shifting the active.

This deck has great matchups against both Plasmaklang and Blastoise (you don't really use Ninetails in this matchup and does decently against Big Basics and RayEels.

Fox Master51, MaxtheCharizard, those are good ideas but they use a lot of extra cards. Fox Master51's idea needs these cards:

2 - 3 Plasma Badge
3 - 4 Colress Machine

And that's all just for a T1 start instead of a T2 start and it's quite unlikely that you'll draw the cards needed to pull of this combo on T1 anyway. MaxtheCharizard's idea needs these cards:

3 - 4 Vulpix
3 - 4 Ninetails
2 - 3 Munna
3 - 4 Hypnotoxic Laser
2 - 3 Virbank City Gym

Thats heaps of cards but I extremely love the Munna idea and I'll probably add it to my list.

If I may be so bold, i have prepared a skeleton list for a possible Virizion/Genesect deck. It's not set in stone:

3 Virizion EX
3 Genesect EX

8 Grass Energy
4 Plasma Energy

3 Team Plasma Badge
3 Colress Machine
3 N
4 Skyla
3 Juniper
3 Shadow Triad
2 Ultra Ball
2 Team Plasma Ball
3 Catcher
1 G Booster / Scramble Switch
2 Switch
2 Tool Scrapper
2 Skyarrow Bridge
2 Energy Switch
2 Energy Retrieval

+ 5 Free Spaces

It's not perfect but i find it's a place to start. The extra space could be used for techmons, extra Energy, and/or extra Trainers.

Possible Pokemon techs include:
- Lugia EX (standard option for future Plasma decks)
- Keldeo EX (Fire counter)
- Snorlax (w/ Scramble Switch)
- Ditto (to help with mulligans)

Possible Trainer techs include:
- Elesa (for Tools)
- More Energy Switch (if G Booster is chosen)
- 4th Catcher

This is just my take on Virizion / Genesect.

Yeah, when creating the deck space was a major issue. I don't plan on running it myself, but my brother likes it. It can save some space because it doesn't need as many catchers, but its pretty tight. The Munna can help as when you are setting up they can help stall with sleep.

I really need to stop posting on my iPhone. It is so much harder to type and I look back and see tons of mistakes that I made.

Try Reversal Trigger.

Reversal Trigger – Trainer
Item (Team Plasma)

Pokemon Tool: Attach a Pokemon Tool to 1 of your Pokemon that doesn’t already have a Pokemon Tool attached to it.

If the Pokemon this Tool is attached to is a Team Plasma Pokemon and is Knocked Out by damage from an opponent’s attack, search your deck for any card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).

With Virizion out, they can't poison their way around this (which is a problem with Manaphy). It gives you a free computer search.

Try Reversal Trigger.

Item (Team Plasma)

Pokemon Tool: Attach a Pokemon Tool to 1 of your Pokemon that doesn’t already have a Pokemon Tool attached to it.

If the Pokemon this Tool is attached to is a Team Plasma Pokemon and is Knocked Out by damage from an opponent’s attack, search your deck for any card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your deck afterwards.

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).

With Virizion out, they can't poison their way around this (which is a problem with Manaphy). It gives you a free computer search.

It's not exactly free if you have to lose a prize

Pokedan24, Reversal Trigger is a great idea but the only problems being space and the fact that tool scrapper will see see a come back thanks to cards like, Float Stone, G-Scope, G-Booster, Life Drops, Rock Guard, etc. Reversal Trigger is a great card but t'd be incredibly difficult to find space for it.

Try Reversal Trigger.

Item (Team Plasma)

If you attach it to Virizion and get knocked out you don't get to search your deck because Virizion is not team plasma right?

Back