Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Can i evolve my stage2? - trainer rulings

Status
Not open for further replies.

XBlock

== TRAINERS IN GENERAL

Q. Could I play a trainer if it's obvious that it will have no effect (i.e. Life Herb on a Pokémon without any damage and with no Special Conditions on it)?
A. No, you cannot play a card if it is obvious that you cannot do what the card is supposed to do at that moment. (Sep 22, 2005 PUI Rules Team)

what exactly consitituse obvious... theres some instances where its far from clean cut...
for example wallys on macargo, for a beginner, theres no way to know that it cant work unless you know all the pokemon, or your entire deck... it could happen
or wallying a stage one that does have an evolution, but youve already checked and seen its not there...
or enegy seaching if all of your energy is in play
can you pokedex handy with one card left in your deck because you cant shuffle beforhand???

XBlock said:
== TRAINERS IN GENERAL

Q. Could I play a trainer if it's obvious that it will have no effect (i.e. Life Herb on a Pokémon without any damage and with no Special Conditions on it)?
A. No, you cannot play a card if it is obvious that you cannot do what the card is supposed to do at that moment. (Sep 22, 2005 PUI Rules Team)

what exactly consitituse obvious... theres some instances where its far from clean cut...
The general principle we are getting to here is that if something cannot be done, a player should not be trying to do it as a means of merely dumping a card. It comes down to a difference in philosophy between Japanese play and American play. Some of the instances that are "far from clean cut", to use your words, are still being discussed by the Rules Team, and we have asked for a bit of clarification from Japan. We decided to release the ruling for "obvious" situations, although I agree that there will be times that "obvious" will have to be interpreted by a Judge. With that in mind, here are the rulings I would make if you asked me at a tournament I was Judging:

for example wallys on macargo, for a beginner, theres no way to know that it cant work unless you know all the pokemon, or your entire deck... it could happen
-- This is obvious. Players are responsible for knowing the game, and which Pokemon have evolutions. Magcargo is clearly visible to everyone, so both players know, or should know, that there is nothing to evolve it into.

or wallying a stage one that does have an evolution, but youve already checked and seen its not there...
-- Not obvious, since your opponent would not necessarily know it is not there. This is one of the areas we are getting clarified, so you will be hearing more on these types of play.

or enegy seaching if all of your energy is in play
-- Again, not obvious to your opponent. Perhaps if you were to Energy Search twice in a row without doing anything that could have put energy back into the deck it would become obvious.

can you pokedex handy with one card left in your deck because you cant shuffle beforhand???
-- I'd say this one is obvious, not because of the shuffle, but because there is nothing to arrange. You don't have six cards to look at, and both you and your opponent know that.

BDS

Last edited:
Note that cards that search for something that you know isn't there (but theoretically might be) will be dealt with in a different ruling. They do not fall into the "obvious" category.

Trying to evolve Magcargo is obviously not going to work, so you can't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back