Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Can You Play Roxie (SM - Cosmic Eclipse 205/236) With No Cards Left In Your Deck?

Otaku

Not that this is a common problem or anything, but between card effects that care about hand size and the "Blow-Away Bomb" Ability on both Koffing (SM - Cosmic Eclipse 76/236, 234/236) and Weezing (SM - Cosmic Eclipse 77/236), I'm curious as to whether or not you can use Roxie when you can't actually draw any cards?

I know you're normally not able to play a card for no effect, but I'm not sure whether the discarding of cards for Roxie is considered a cost to play it or part of the card's effect. Based on the following ruling

Q. Can I play Ultra Ball if there are no cards left in my deck?
A. No, you cannot. Discarding the two cards is a cost not the effect, and you cannot play Trainer cards for no effect. (Apr 27, 2017 TPCi Rules Team)
if the discarding is a cost to play, then I have to be able to draw at least one card in order to use Roxie. Unless Blow-Away Bomb being triggered somehow counts as an effect of Roxie, which seems unlikely. If this is one of those times when the discarding is part of the effect and not a cost, however, then I would think I could use Roxie with no cards left in my deck. Unless I've messed up somewhere else along this line of reasoning.

Thank you for your help!

For reference:

Roxie
Trainer — Supporter

Discard up to 2 Pokémon that aren’t Pokémon-GX or Pokémon-EX from your hand. Draw 3 cards for each card you discarded in this way. You may play only 1 Supporter card during your turn (before your attack).

Koffing — 60 HP — [P]
Basic

Ability: Blow-Away Bomb
Once during your turn, when you discard this Pokémon with the effect of Roxie, you may put 1 damage counter on each of your opponent’s Pokémon. (Place damage counters after the effect of Roxie.)

[P][C] Poison Gas: 10
Your opponent’s Active Pokémon is now Poisoned.

weakness: [P]×2
resistance:
retreat: 1​

Ultra Ball
Trainer — Item

Discard 2 cards from your hand. If you do, search your deck for a Pokémon, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck.

You may play as many Item cards as you like during your turn (before your attack).​

Back