Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Cap at Nationals confirmed!?!?

JandPDS

According the the front page interview it appears that there will be a cap this year at Nationals. With all of the growth Pokemon has experianced it just makes sense, but it looks like there will be an attendance cap at Nationals for the 1st time ever this year. There was supposed to be one last year but Orgins botched it so badly that they had to do away with it. Looks like the Magic number is 1,200. How worried are you that Nationals 2009 in St Loius will have to turn players away this year?

Last edited:
It makes sense, but it looks like there will be an attendance cap at Nationals for the 1st time this year/ There was supposed to be one last year but Orgins botched it so badly that they had to do away with it. Looks like the Magic number is 1,200. How worried are you that Nationals 2009 in St Loius will have to turn players away this year?

worried enough to get there on wednesday

Even with the overflow last year, there was still just over 1,000 players. There's a lot of growth room there before reaching the cap.

All it says is it is hard to book a venue for 5,000 when you are expecting 1.200. Doesn't say that is the cap. Just says when they are expecting 1,200.

There hasn't been a cap announced yet. Considering that there are 502,000 square feet of space at the America's Center (about 1/3 the size of the Columbus Convention Center, and we took up only about 1/10 of that space, approximately 20,800sqft at most), I doubt there will be major space issues.

yeah there is no way that we are getting that many people.
Last year was the first year the cap was exceeded (and only in masters)
there are people who are not going this year who went last year.
And well i guess the other way around too. like more people from MO.

I think you are going to see a LOT more people who are willing to come in for the fun event who would not go into Origins due to the $20-80 badge fee.

This includes my friends from Kansas, Tennessee, and all over the midwest.

Also for anyone travelling, the savings of $80+ might not be enough to bring you in, but for those driving, it is a night's hotel at least.

Not a lot of "casual" players in years past. I think that will change this year.

Vince

The Masters couldn't see it on their side of the floor, but the League line was never shorter than about 20-30 people the entire weekend I was there (and for most of Nationals it was at around 50-70-ish). I think Brian might need some more help with that table if Vince is promising more Casual players this year...

Having never been to St. Louis I was wondering if someone who is familiar with the area where the tournament will be held could give a quick rundown on what else St. Louis has to offer? If I go I will most likely have at least sunday free :)

Look at what POP is doing Friday. They are allowing pr e reg to all players who want the guarenteed spot. I am gonna jump on line and hour ahead of time and play platinum till the line opens so i have my spot guarenteed. I know there will be a big boom on that line and i fell a cap will happen. If pop does what i fell they will they will ease up a little but will make a cap somewhere and there will be a little sadness.

Ohh man...
My only option is getting there at night, due to summer classes for a scholarship x_x
Hopefully, they'll have room still open.

I think you are going to see a LOT more people who are willing to come in for the fun event who would not go into Origins due to the $20-80 badge fee.

Also for anyone travelling, the savings of $80+ might not be enough to bring you in, but for those driving, it is a night's hotel at least.

Not a lot of "casual" players in years past. I think that will change this year.

Vince

I can't agree with that. The only difference is that you don't have to pay $35-70 for a Badge. If I was going to go to Nats a badge for $35-70 wouldn't deter me as I would have already paid to get there and for a Hotel, but maybe that's just me.

Drew

Vince

Sounds good to me. I'm a fan of facing casual players, since the only way I'm gettin' into Worlds before I can drive is by winning big events that have invites as prizes, since my rating pretty much sucks. BTW, the reason my rating sucks is because I can't get a ride to that many tournaments, in case anyone was wondering.

Back