Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Card Artwork

ableycp78

If this has been addressed please point me to the correct location.

If I understand current rulings you may NOT modify ANY text on a pokemon card for it to remain playable. However Artwork on a card "picture window" can be modified. This leads to two questions / clarifications.

1)Can I modify the card borders to a different color? (american cards are yellow, Japaneese are white, a popular (and striking) modification is to "black border" cards. Can players color the card borders any color they like, as long as all card borders are the same?
1B)Can you color card borders different colors? (EX cards had different borders, and Holographic borders are different) Extreeme exaple: all energy black, trainers red, pokemon purple?

2)lets rule out inapproprate images etc. (head judge disgression) How much can the picture window of a card be modified? It has been popular to play signed cards. I have seen several modifications as pokemon "text bubles", moustaches, shading the area around the pokemon.
2B)can I completly black out the picture of a pokemon card?
2C)can I color in the image of an energy card. Example black marker darkness energy, green marker grass energy, blue marker water energy as long as the original color is maintained.
2D)back to question one, basic metal and basic darkness energy are avalible, but in some cases hard to get an entire play set. Can I black (darkness) / silver (metal) out the text box and play them as basic energy? (the top of both cards say energy and the symbol is the same)

Thanks

After thought
3)Can you paste images over existing artwork (this may change the thinkness of a card)? Example I don't like the way claydol GE looks can I cut out an claydol EX picture and paste is on top?
3B)can I put a card in my picture printer and print an image over an existing image? Here there would be no(very minimal) thinkness change.

Last edited:
1) I don't see a significant problem with this, though the player would need to use sleeves to ensure that any uneven coloring (such as accidentally coloring the side of the card) is obscured. In general, it doesn't obscure any of the information on the card.
1B) See 1).

2) Ruling out inappropriate images, etc.; most players that have a strong familiarity with cards (in any game) identify a card and what it does by the card art, not by the card's text. Significantly obscuring the art of a card can lead to confusion, a slow down in gameplay, and an unfair advantage. A small degree of modification is acceptable, but if the modification makes it difficult for your average player to determine what the card is, based on the artwork, you're not going to be able to get away with it.
2B) See 2).
2C) See 2).
2D) That would be considered a proxy card, so no.

3) See 2). Additionally, there would be a thickness change to the card, making it a marked card, and subject to the appropriate penalties.
3B) See 2).

Back