Status
Not open for further replies.

SD PokeMom

Mod Supervisor
Staff member
Mike Liesik on the POP Prof boards said:
Card sleeve policy change
**Please disseminate this information to your players!**

With the increase in popularity of art-backed sleeves, a wide array of designs are now available to players. These new sleeves continue to push the envelope in order to draw players’ attention. Unfortunately, many of these new sleeves depict images that are contrary to Pokémon’s desired brand image.

In addition to the matter of inappropriate imagery, there is also an issue of potential cheating. The complexity of the art on many of these sleeves creates a far greater ability for a dishonest player to mark his or her cards without a judge discovering those marks. While Pokémon Organized Play has yet to learn of a player using these sleeves to mark cards, we are aware that it is a possibility.

Taking these two issues into account, Pokémon Organized Play has decided to reverse its policy on art-backed sleeves. Effective April 24th, 2006, the use of art-backed sleeves at all non-Prerelease Premier Events is strictly prohibited. The use of art-backed sleeves at all other sanctioned Pokémon Organized Play tournaments is subject to the approval of the event’s Head Judge.
'mom

this is just not fair, all my sleeves are art-backed. How am I going to buy more? you know, they are not cheap...

I canunderstand why this has been done but What does POP have to say to those players whove invested money in artback sleves and may not be able to afford more?

so even the three pokemon art sleeves are to be banned?

FWIW I thought that the art sleves were a good idea since they made it much less likely that players would mix up their cards.

ALL sleeves with ANY art at all on the back of the sleeve are prohibited.

Kempley05 said:
I canunderstand why this has been done but What does POP have to say to those players whove invested money in artback sleves and may not be able to afford more?

That's why they gave us 20 days to find 10$ (usually, sleeves are less). I think it's a good move, simply because it further discourages cheating. And even though POP says that they have yet to learn of a player who uses their sleeves in a wrong manner like this, it could always just mean that cheaters are getting away with their wrongdoings.

I for one will happily switch to the normal sleeves if this means that cheating/controversy can be avoided. My only question, however, is this: If it's perfectly fine to use a deck in a premiere tournament without sleeves, doesn't this complicate the issue a bit, since there is art on the back of Pokemon cards, and since that art is complex enough that someone might take advantage of it? :confused:

Too bad as i really like the Pokémon picture ones. Now there's no reason to buy them....

You guys going to stop selling sleeves with art on them?

I normally don't use sleeves with art on them, but now I can't buy japanese sleeves because of their pokeball, even despite their glaring superior in quality compared to US sleeves.

at least we can use them at non-premiere events.

The ultrapro solids that I have fall to bits. Very easy to mark those if you are so inclined :(

Obviously Pokemon sleeves fit the brand image. It's the second point that is the concern.

M_Liesik said:
The complexity of the art on many of these sleeves creates a far greater ability for a dishonest player to mark his or her cards without a judge discovering those marks. While Pokémon Organized Play has yet to learn of a player using these sleeves to mark cards, we are aware that it is a possibility.

so the pokemon art sleeves ARE allowed? i am referring to the ultrapro ones released last year with art such as the legendary birds, etc. these are allowed, or no?

and the japanese sleeves with the pokeball art is not allowed?

Benlugia said:
so the pokemon art sleeves ARE allowed? i am referring to the ultrapro ones released last year with art such as the legendary birds, etc. these are allowed, or no?

No, the second point about cheating explains that.

Aw, now I can't use my sleeves with nakid women bathing in a pool of blood while spouting curses at each other on them...

:frown: :frown: :frown:

BJJ763 said:
Too bad as i really like the Pokémon picture ones. Now there's no reason to buy them....

They also don't fit in the prerelease deckboxes, so now there truly is no reason to buy them. :p I've actually found that most of my decks sleeved with single colored sleeves fit into the prerelease deck boxes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back