Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Cell phone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bad_kid_garbage

At my last tournament, my phone rang during the match. I had it on silent so nobody heard it, and in response I slid my hand in my pocket and turned it off. Could I have been in trouble for answering it?

(What you did was the polite/correct thing.)

It's a bad habit to answer it, in general - your opponent doesn't know what's being said, and you easily be coached that way. If I was a judge being called over, I'd tell you to turn it off, and call them back between rounds.

If you were expecting a call from...say your Mom, who you've been trying to reach all day for the ride home, tell your opponent before the match starts what you're expecting, and that you don't want to be impolite during the match if she calls...that's reasonable, right? And probably okay, but I'd bring it up before it happened. (It would not be polite at that point to answer just ANY call...the matches aren't that long.)

There are a number of PTOs and TOs who warn players, prior to the tournament, that all electronic devices, including cell phones, must be turned off during the games. If that announcement has been made you are subject to a penalty if your phone rings. Except in extreme circumstances there should be no reason to have a phone on during the match. If you have to leave it on because of an emergency call, you should check with the head judge before play starts.

BDS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back