Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Chanel No. 5 (Plume/Belossom, DP-On, article included!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naki Feralkin

As I was unable to push myself into T16 at nationals, I've begun to take a look at the next set and begin my fight during the next season.

Grass decks are seldom seen anymore because the typing has a common weakness to fire and most grass types are typically weak (HP-wise) in general, but the way I see it, Grass still has a chance to flourish and become more powerful as it is one of the most common forms of energy acceleration, and as such, a very powerful grass type makes itself known in Legends Awakened.

Chanel No. 5. (Vileplume/Bellossom)

Pokemon (22)

4X Oddish (LA-Grass type)
2X Gloom (LA-Psychic Type)
2X Vileplume (LA)
2X Bellossom (LA)

3X Eevee (MD)
2X Leafeon (MD-Leaf Guard)
2X Leafeon Level X
1X Umbreon

2X Baltoy
2X Claydol

Energy (14)

4X Psychic
3X Grass
4X Multi
3X Call

Trainers: (24)
1X Cynthia's Plan
4X Rare Candy
3X Switch
2X Dawn Stadium
4X Bebe's Search
4X Team Galactics Mars
2X Team Galactics Wager
2X Night Maintenance
2X Roseanne's Research

Pokemon Outlook:

Oddish LV.7 – Psychic – HP50
Basic Pokemon

[C] Poison Powder: Flip a coin, if heads the Defending Pokemon is now Poisoned.
[P][C] Ram: 20 damage.

Weakness: Psychic (+10)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 1

--

Really, the choice of Oddish is up to you. I use the Grass type at the moment as it is all I have handy, though the Psychic one is a bit more useful because of its +10 HP's over the Grass type. Attack choice is pretty much not necessary to choose as you'll probably be using Call energy or Candying to Bell/Plume ASAP.

--

Gloom LV.24 – Psychic – HP80
Stage 1 – Evolves from Oddish

[.] Fade to Dusk: Remove 2 damage counters from Gloom. Gloom is now Asleep.
[P][C] Foul Nectar: 30 damage. Flip a coin, if heads the Defending Pokemon is now Poisoned and Confused.

Weakness: Psychic (+20)
Retreat: 2

This one is the superior one for sure. An additional 10 HP's over the grass type, decent damage removal, and a pretty solid attack, should you get stuck with it. Chances are you won't need to attack with this guy or even have it, but just in case, go with this one.

---

Vileplume LV.41 – Grass – HP120
Stage 2 – Evolves from Gloom

Poke-Power: Energy Reaction
You can use this Power once during your turn, when you attach a Grass Energy or a Psychic Energy from your hand to this Pokemon. Choose 1 of your opponent's Active Pokemon, and if you attached a Grass Energy that Pokemon is now Asleep, if you attached a Psychic Energy that Pokemon is now Poisoned. This Power can't be used if this Pokemon is affected by a Special Condition or if Energy is attached as an effect of an attack or a Poke-Power.

[P][C][C] Wounding Pollen: 60 damage. Flip a coin, if heads your opponent can't play any Trainers, Supporters, or Stadiums from his or her hand during your opponent's next turn.

Weakness: Psychic (+30)
Retreat: 2

One of the big guys in the deck, Vileplume does quite a number of things. Just setting up this annoyance automatically puts harmful status effects on the Defending Pokemon. This gets better through the use of Multi, which puts both of the effects on automatically, which is helpful, considering that you can't use Energy Reaction if used through Energy Forcing. Status effects are still very annoying, and you consider you're also shutting the defending pokemons powers down with this.

Its attack can be absolutely catastrophic. It can stall out a potential comeback or slow your opponent down quite significantly. It may be flippy, but you're putting energy on Plume to harm your opponent, right? And you're using Plumes to help your Bellossoms too. Why not?

Another amusing thing is that it lacks the typical Fire weak, replaced with a Psychic weak. Yes, Psychic is common, but hey, least its not fire.

---

Bellossom LV.38 – Grass – HP100
Stage 2 – Evolves from Gloom

[G] Parallel Gain: 30 damage. Remove 1 damage counter from each of your Pokemon.
[G][C] Blend Pollen: 40 damage. This attack does an additional 20 damage for each of your Vileplume and Bellossom in play. Flip a coin, if heads the Defending Pokemon is now Burned.

Weakness: Fire (+30)
Resistance: Water (-20)
Retreat: 1

This chica is annoying as heck. As early as turn two, she can already be dishing out 60 HP's of damage and possible burn effects (Blend Pollen counts the active Bell as a "Bellossom in play."), and it gets more powerful with each additional Plume and Bell in play. The first attack is useable, but not nearly as efficient as what Bell is going to be used for.

Granted, its HP's are a bit waning for a Stage 2, and it comes with the fire weak, but this one CAN combat the very potentially large Kingdra with its water resistance and quick attacks.

62-eevee.jpg

Call for Family Eevee as always to get your brothers out. Bring out the Leafeon quickly if needed.

7-leafeon.jpg

Leaf Guard Leafeon for the additional HP's and the defensive boost, and to keep in a free kill if necessary.

99-leafeon-lv.x.jpg

Energy Forcing Leafeon has become a very large staple in decks of late, making appearances in everything from Blissey to Magmortar to straight Eeveelutions. Being the Flygon d of this new era of Pokemon, he looks to remain dominant in the coming metas.

In this deck he is very helpful, speeding up Vileplumes fat attacks and giving it a boost after it triggers off its power normally. Using energy forcing following the Plumes power allows you to place the second energy elsewhere while you slowly charge up your plumes, or you could just place it on the Plume anyways, either way you look at it, Leafeon Level X still is a terror to behold with even 3-4 energies in play.

Losing one doesn't mean the end of the world, if it met its purpose and sped your bench of cute yet deadly flowers up to their maximum threat potential, then it did its job.

As always, Leaf Guard if finishing off a threat.

32-umbreon.jpg

Umbreon will get rid of your Leafeon's pesky fire weakness and get them off the field easier so your Bellossoms can dance the night away.

15-claydol.jpg

Typical Claydol use. Utility. You do have Multi energies, so you can attack with Claydol if someone is being a pest.

----

Trainers/Supporters:

Cynthia's Plan:
Return your hand to your deck and shuffle your deck. Then, draw 4 cards from your deck.
If any of your Pokemon were Knocked Out on your opponent's previous turn, draw an additional 4 cards.

You can use a Supporter once during your turn. To use it, play it next to your Active Pokemon and discard it at the end of your turn.

I think this card is absolutely amazing. As the champion of the Sinnoh region, its only natural that she would become the suitable replacement of Steven's Advice, and she does it well. If you're in an absolute bind and have this, a fresh hand +1 is very refreshing to look at.

Rare Candy:
Stage 2 decks require this. This one even moreso as its running a full 4-2-4 line and prides itself on speed.

Switch:
There is no fix to Vileplumes fat retreat cost, and god help me if I was to Warp Point any status effects off of my opponents pokemon. Granted, I could Unown Q for Bellossom and Umbreon takes care of the Eevee's, but I don't want my Vileplume's getting stuck.

Dawn Stadium:
More utility than anything, could also be very counterproductive. This was a last minute addition I'm still considering of cutting. Works with the deck, also works against it when playing decks like Kingdra, Empoleon or other Grass variants.

Bebe's Search:
Only efficient pokemon tutor atm

Team Galactic's Mars:
I still really like hand disruption and Claydol makes up the one less card I get from Mars.

Team Galactic's Wager:
I'm running Claydol, I can mess people up, what reason is there to not play Wager?

Night Maintenance:
For recovery purposes:

Roseannes:
The usual reason. Possibly running an additional since Roseanne's is the most amazing supporter ever. Call Energy or not, theres no reason to not run 3.

Strat:

This deck is pretty aggro oriented. It can be pretty quick as well as keep itself consistant in the late game with good energy drops and heavy damage dealing. A few times I've managed to pull out two Bells and a Vileplume and ended up wreaking havoc all over the enemy battlefield. (thats 100 HP's for two energies, folks.)

Early game can either be setting up Leafeon quickly while building up a couple of strong Oddishes on the bench and leveling as that stall moves, or quickly running to Bellossom and dishing out that early 60.

Vileplume can be early game, as its attack seems to follow that early game category, but its attack is too slow to come out on T2, and the fact remains that it is still very flippy. Of course, dropping an energy on it for its very effective power is beneficial to you in the long run. (Who the crap runs Double Full Heal anyways? Warp Point is as worried as you should be.)

On a strong setup, the deck is pretty solid. I've had a few bad setups and got absolutely obliterated, but most of the time they've been very quick, very effective. There are some changes I would like to make to the deck still, possible removals and additions, Maybe run 3 Bellossoms with the 2 Plumes, kind of like people did with Gardelade.

I'd say try it out, see what you can do with it, the deck is a lot of fun and even has some competitive potential.

Hey - cool to see you posted the deck you were talking to me about online. Vileplume is definitely a vicious card. Great PokePower and great co-evolution in Bellossom. And of course Leafeon is going to see use here.

As far as the Trainers, I'm a little iffy on Mars, I'd rather use Felicity's Drawing to toss stuff you don't need anymore mid-late game. That's just me though. I am also a little leery about no actual Pokemon Setup Starter. That comboed with that you are only running 2 Roseanne's Research and 3 Call Energy. I'd max out at least one of those two cards. Next, I am also not sold on the potential usefulness of Dawn Stadium. Perhaps in the next format if Stadiums are all the rage, but in the meantime, why not run Warp Point?

Also, if you were looking to go another direction with Vileplume, I was thinking the other day about using Vileplume with Arbok from Great Encounters. It sort of is like an added benefit of doing heavy damage for one energy on Arbok while you build up your Vileplume(s). Just run all Psychic energy.

I really like Bellossom, moreso than I like Vileplume, it's just so potentially fast and so dangerous, and would be a nice counter to Kingdra if it gets big. I probably would focus more on a Bellossom deck, just because its a little speedier. That and I'd just like to see a bit more in terms of starter stuff. I'm big on that right now, and then using Felicity's to get rid of it later in the game. It's just theoretical, and take what you will from my thinking - I have been gone from playing for a long time.

Again, cool deck.

~Jim

Hmm...seems interesting, but I don't know if I like Leafeon too much with it. It just seems...slow. Working with swarming stage 2s isn't really Leafeon's thing since it takes a lot of set-up itself.

3 Vileplume and 3 Bellossom. You want to draw them so Bellossom can do more damage early.

Your list could use some change. Buck's instead of Mars is the most obvious change to me. Dawn Stadium and Switch aren't all that necessary and don't help you grab evolutions.

I would remove the leafoen line. It really dosen't help in here cause you don't need much energy acceleration. I would add another plume and bellossom.
Playing 4 roseanne's could be helpful and mabey remove 1 call for another energy.

I'd remove all mars and dawn stadium and add a combination of felecity's drawing and professor oak's visit.

T2 Houndoom will be kind of popular. Nothing you can do against it really, just a heads up (PokeBeach is down for a bit, otherwise I would show you a translation)

1+ Call Energy
1- Night Maintence

(^^Just more consistent, you'd rather have Call Energy early game then a Night Maintence, right??)

Anyways, it is nice to here about Vileploom. I was looking at him cause his attack locks nice when you land heads

7/10

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back