Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Change to Play! Pokémon TCG Set legality rules

Professor Dav

Master Trainer
Beginning with the Pokémon TCG release in August 2014, Play! Pokémon will now set the tournament legality date of all new TCG sets for 21 days after the official street dates in all markets worldwide at three weeks after the official release date.

This means that if a TCG set releases on the 7th of a given month, that the first day that cards from that set will be legal for play in sanctioned tournaments would be the 28th of that same month. Sanctioned limited format events will not be affected, as the product for these events is provided by the organizer.

Sets will be legal for play in TCG Online general play, and casual tournaments as of the release date, offering players an opportunity to test cards and decks in the weeks leading up to the tournament legal date.

The tournament legal date is based off of the U.S. release date, and will not change based on shifted international market release dates. Play! Pokémon will publish a worldwide tournament legal date for each set prior to its release.

These rules will also be added to the tournament documents on www.pokemon.com shortly.

Thank you,
Prof_Dav

so league challenges/cities/states/regionals/nationals/worlds the new set is only allowed if it is 21 days after the street date, interesting.

if nothing else makes it so people don't have to rush and test furious fist for worlds

Any changes to how promotional cards will be handled? Granted, they're usually reprints of existing modified-legal cards, but it would be nice to know.

Unless noted otherwise, they would follow the same 21 day post release rule.

Thanks,
Prof_Dav

That makes sense for store-bought product promos, but how about event promos (tournaments, leagues, etc.)? Is it 21 days from when the cards were first given out?

That makes sense for store-bought product promos, but how about event promos (tournaments, leagues, etc.)? Is it 21 days from when the cards were first given out?

Originally Posted by Professor Dav View Post

Thanks,
Prof_Dav

I believe a bit more of an explicit guideline is warranted here. There have consistently been products over the years that are not given an official release date and are given more of a time frame. To give relevant examples, we have the Krookodile-EX Box listed as "July 2014", the Kalos Power Tins listed as "June 2014", and the XY Trainer Kit listed as "March 2014". All of these items are from this year in the XY Series with exclusive cards within them. they may not be post August 2014, but product information hasn't entirely been released for august quite yet. The only other official recognition of the XY Trainer Kit (the only product I mentioned that actually has an official recognition other than the sellsheets) is by the official site, which states "in stores now". I would bet I'm not the only one who would wonder when the "21 day post release" actually falls for the multitude of products like this. 21 days after the start of the month? 21 days after the last day of the month? 21 days after the nearby stores started carrying the product? 21 days after I bought the product? 21 days after the product was distributed by the online stores? Unlike expansions, promotional cards have always been legal the instant someone has them unless otherwise stated. They've never worked in the same way as expansions because of how ambiguous and imprecise the distribution, advertising and availability so many of the promotional products actually have. More often than not, these products don't have a specific release date like expansions do, and it seems awkward and confusing to try to lump them into this rule that is very inappropriate for them. Granted, August is still 2 months away, and the merchandise may all have a specific release date, but based on both the precedent prolonged by past products, and what we already know of future products, it does not seem the case.

I feel like that's going to happen anyway, I think this has more to do with logistics, like card availability or something.

LOL! Only 9 posts until *this* is the worst decision TPCi has ever made. That may be a record.

;)

As for promos and such, most are reprints of existing legal cards. For those that are not, and/or do not have an official release date, the Play! team will set an OP release date for tournament legality and maintain a list on the Rules & Resources section of pokemon.com

Thanks,
Prof. Dav

As for promos and such, most are reprints of existing legal cards. For those that are not, and/or do not have an official release date, the Play! team will set an OP release date for tournament legality and maintain a list on the Rules & Resources section of pokemon.com

Thanks,
Prof. Dav
We need this now please. The Pokemon.com Product Gallery is far too vague.

Back