Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Checking how many cards are left in your deck....

Metal Master

Is that legal? I mean, not flipping them over, but is it okay to count how many cards are in your deck when it is getting real low?

Meaning, say I have X cards less(assuming X is less than 10), and I have plenty of time to win my match. Could I check how many cards are left so I could plan out the rest of my strategy? No, I wouldn't be flipping them over, and wouldn't mess with the order, I would just keep em face down and count them.

I've seen people do it before, so I was wondering if it was allowed.

Yamazaru said:
I highly doubt that that it legal, but dont quote me on this
Too late, I did. :tongue:

And I'm talking about when you have, say, 10 cards or less. It doesn't mess with the order, doesn't reveal any cards, all it does is inform the player of how many cards they have left in their deck.

I'm pretty sure you can cause it's like one of the things you're allowed to check at anytime, like the cards in your discard pile, # of cards in your opponents hand and stuff like that.

Read the compendium. The answer can be found in there.

Directly from the compendium:

== DRAW PILE / DISCARD PILE / SEARCHING

Q. Is a player allowed to count the number of cards in his/her deck during a game, provided he/she doesn't change the order of the cards? And if so, is it permissible to count your opponent's deck as well?
A. Yes, the number of cards in both your and your opponent's deck are public information. Although it is recommended that the player counts his or her cards during their opponent's turn, in a manner that doesn't disrupt or slow down the game. (May 6, 2004 PUI Rules Team)

ooo, I did not know that. Very interesting, that was established May 6, 2004...are you sure the ruling hasn't changed yet?

xcountry said:
ooo, I did not know that. Very interesting, that was established May 6, 2004...are you sure the ruling hasn't changed yet?

If it had changed, They would have put that in the compendium.

You could always post this question in the ATM forum if you doubt it is still legal.

It's always been legal and always will be. As stated in the ruling, it's public info.

Let's say you want to play Steven's Advice, and your opponent has 6 Pokémon in play. You'd want to know if you should play it or not without decking yourself.

Back