Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Chris' Top 16 North West Regionals Report :D

Battle Roads Season

I couldn't go to the first battle roads and had to miss out, but I was able to go to the 2nd battle roads and win with Yanmega Magnezone. After that, I felt pretty great going into my first tourny of the year and winning. I go to my 2nd BRs and figured that reshiphlosion is annoying and stop playing yanmegazone. I choose to play Ross.dec afterwords and go 2nd at Brs with it, which was pretty sweet, felt that I deserve first.:/ I lose to some weird decks that I didn't expect. I play Gothitelle at my last BR and 8-0d swiss.

I felt pretty boss ending battle roads being 2nd in Oregon masters. As for my deck choice I edited my goth list from battle roads and added 4th gothita, 1 tropical beach, 4th RC, 3 cheren over sages, switch, and fisherman.

4th Gothita
I felt that this was really needed for the reshiphlosion matchup, because you need to get 3 gothita into play to get a gothitelle up front with no energy, while charging a gothitelle on bench with energy. You might all be wondering, "You have 3 gothita, so why 4?" Well, by chance if I have a gothita prized and they catcher up a gothita active and kill it, I'm left with one gothitelle to play with and it will get flare destroy lock, so having the 4th gothita helped reshiphlosion matchup, A LOT!

4th RC
I feel that I needed this more often, so why not.

3 Cheren over sages
To be honest, I love sages a lot more then cheren to be honest, but it doesn't work in this deck, because it discards precious resources for the late game.

Tropical beach
I had none in my deck and thought I don't need it, but after testing, I loved this card like candy. lol.

Switch
My friend from seniors was saying to run full heal to get away from stupid stuff, like magby and SEL tech in reshiphlosion. But, I thought switch would be a great idea, because it gets rid of your stupid Zek/Resh start, gets rid of burn, and goes around bellsprout.

Fisherman
This is probably the big tech card you are all wondering. This card is great for the reshiphlosion matchup, because they will flare destroy you and get rid of your energy, play fisherman and the reshiphlosion palyer will get overwhelmed pretty easily.

as for my bad matchups

Anything Mew (being psychic with pluff in LZ/muk in LZ)
Yanmega Zone (3 nrg magnezone KOs goth/ Judge gets rid of twins)
Mirror (I was not prepared to face mirror)

Friday

Koichi N facebooks me and asks if he wanted to test with me at borderlands games (My local league/card/anime/comic shop) I agree and meet him over there to test.

Testing game Vs Koichi N with TZPS

This game was pretty straight forward. I go 1st with pichu active and playground my basics. His turn, he goes and gets T1 pachi, shaymin, DCE, hurricane. I put up cleffa for free retreat. Play twins to get RC and Tropical beach, play communication to grab gothitelle, play RC, gothitelle, and beach for 5-6 cards. from there he could only do 80 per turn. I didn't know if he ran black belt, so I even prizes and kept taking them till we were down to one prize.

After all the test games, I head over to Haydens hotel and right when we get to the elevator we see hayden and his mom. She offered us to go out to dinner with them, which was really cool! :D (Thanks btw if your reading this :D)

I go to the open gaming room and play free games with my silly durant deck until I had to go and stay with my friend at his hotel across the street. I go and Liam W lets me borrow his Tropical beach and wishes me luck for tomorrow.

Saturday (Day of the NW TCG regionals)

I get my registration sheet in along with my decklist and wait around for round 1.

Round 1 Vs Isaiah M with YanmegaZone (From FriedChickenNRice on youtube)

I get a somewhat decent start to his fair opening. I tried to setup, but he had judge to screw my hand up, seriously, I went from a double twins, RC, and cheren to a reshiram, gothita, and 2 DCE. :/ From there I tried to stay in by putting his active yanmega asleep with gothita to avoid linear attacks on my solosis'. After top decking absolute crap and had no solosis left, I scoop.
0-1

After this round, I felt super nervous and thought I was going to do bad again like last year. :/ But I follow my gut and seen it to the end! :3

Round 2 Vs Stage 1s

I go into this game thinking "Who's he and what is he playing?" I met and chat with him. He opens with phanphy, which was beautiful to me. He goes and plays DCE on phanphy and brings up tyrogue and KOs my solosis. I promote the gohita and play twins and get tropical beach and gothitelle. I play RC gothitelle, my opponent says "this is your first turn" I look and said, "Oh my god..." :/ I go and take back the RC goth, then I play junk arm to discard 2 cards to get back communication and play it to get pichu, I play beach and draw 7 cards. He goes and plays stuff and KOs my gothita. I go and play up pichu and play twins to get a RC/Twins. I play ground of double of each solosis and gothita. He goes and does nothing, cuz cleffa is asleep. I go and wake up and play twins and get Reuniclus and goth setup. I take my prizes with caution of a possible blackbelt (Even though its stupid to expect that, I'm a very cautious player. From there it was over anyways since he can't break through my 130 HP wall.

1-1

During lunch, I was still nervous and didn't eat much. I was mainly looking around trying to find out players records.

Round 3 vs Random Lanturn/Gatr Prime/Samurott

My opponent was kind and offered me skittles and told me what he was playing, I was a bit intimidated, because lanturn can possibly KO my gothitelle, but I get a T2 goth and KO all opposing threats FTW

2-1

Round 4 Vs Stage 1s

This game is pretty much the same as round 2, but I didn't have to deal with any of my stupid misplays, but at one point, I had to play smart to keep 2 solosis in play to get reuniclus the following turn. Again, I overeact and even prizes untill he had nothing inplay to do 90 dmg. (expecting blackbelt)

3-1

Round 5 vs Graham O (2nd place winner of the tournament) with Yanphan

I have a lot of respect for graham, he is no doubt one of the great strategist in the NW, he hasn't played for 3 months and he didn't know a thing about my deck, but predicted that solosis was trouble and after he saw the combo of Goth/Reuniclus he ran out of options and scooped to me.
(Grats on 2nd btw)
4-1

Round 6 vs JT with Reshiphlosion

Jt is a cool dude, he opens decently, but randomly decides to pluspower, outrage my cleffa for KO. I go and twins my setup and get a goth active and one bench fueling energys. He never got a typhlosion in play due to me having perfectly timed catchers. After he lost his only typhlosion. He knew it was game and I sweeped him doing 130 a turn.

5-1

At this point, i'm standing in non-belief of coming back after a R1 lose.

Round 7 vs Andrew J with Mirror

He was prepared for mirror and won because...

A. I had only 1 gothirita.
B. He tested this matchup more then I did.
C. He ran 1 DCE compared to my 2. (He also had more psychics then I did.)

I start with Gothita, 4 crap cards, RC, and Gothitelle. We were both worried as hell and hope to win the flip. I was fortunate enough to win the flip and go first. I draw another crap card and pass. He goes and tries to not playground and collectors for the basics he needs and passes. I go and RC goth. attach DCE and pass. He goes and PONT his hand away. He evolves his gothita and attachs psychic to gothirita and passes. I'm worried at this point thinking he has the gothitelle and 3rd psychic to KO my goth and gain a HUGE advantage. I try to retreat goth and hope he doesn't have the 3 required cards. (Goth, 3rd psychic, and catcher) Which he does and I scoop knowing that I lose. :/

5-2

So, i'm pacing around the area saying "I need to win my next game to make cut, I need to win my next game to make cut, etcetc".

Round 8 Vs Mario with Donphan Dragons

I go into the game and meet my opponenet, he seemed very kind and funny. I start pichu and solosis to his phanpy. I go and playground to get my full setup and pass. he goes and attach and passes. I go and play cheren to draw three and pass, he goes evolves to donphan and KOs me with EQ. I go and play twins to get a great twins chain going and get the lock setup, after that it was over for him, seeing that I was doing 150 a turn and I have lots of healing options left.

6-2

So, with no deck check, they wanted us to report to standings and see if we made top 32 (which I do) and report to the table and play our T32 opponent and play T16 tomorrow.

Top 32 vs Miguel G with TZPS with a magby tech

Game 1: I play this matchup thinking, "YES TZPS" but when I saw the magby, I kinda got scared. I go and get gothitelle T2 and catcher up his magby and KO it. from their, there was no opposing threat in his deck other then magby for gothitelle.
Game 2: It took him forever to setup and I get gothitelle rolling T2 and start tropical beaching for 4 cards, he goes for magby and burns me. He flips heads and wakes up, but I had the switch to go around magby and KO his gothitelle counter, from there he had a tornadus with nothing on it and he passes, I catcher his bench pachi with 2 energy and seeker up his only tornadus and KO his pachi for the win.

7-2

Day 1 was over and done with. Before I leave they asked for my decklist and while I was walking out the door I heard that my deck had a problem and I got the set numbers mixed with my gothitelles and gothirita. They said I might have to change my deck and have 1 gothitelle and 3 gothirita. I was nervous and they said, that its not official and they will tell me what my full punishment by tomorrow.

Over the night I was sooooo nervous and felt as if I was going to have to change my list. I go and change my list on playtcg as if I had to swap my gothitelle numbers with my gothirita numbers. I tested and it turns out that I have to get lucky and face either TZPS or Stage 1s to have a decent chance. (thats if my goth are not prized)

Day 2 (Top 16 of the TCG)

I get there by 8:30 and the head judge said that I get a warning and I don't have to change my list. I felt SUPER relieved and hugged the head judge and said thanks.

Top 16 vs Kenan (Winner of the tournament) with Ross.dec

Game 1: This game went into a lot of detail and he was trying to get a lot of damage on his board with EQ so his Zekrom will OHKO my goth. I keep puting damage on his field through a 30 Damage outrage to his donphan. He keeps giving me prizes and at the very end I found my game plan. I have 3 prizes left, I have 3 attackers that can OHKO anything. Very good game.

Game 2: He gets a great start and goes for T2 vileplume, I try to follow it up with gothitelle, but unfortunately my duosion is prized, so I scoop to game 3 and try not to waste a lot of time.

Game 3:This is where is gets crazy, I start with T2 goth getting cheap prizes on his 1st oddish and he didn't have gloom before and had thought that I didn't have the catcher for his only gloom in play. I catcher up gloom and KO it. From there, he had no way of getting vileplume and the game is in my advantage. He starts getting SEL in play and he eeeeeks and flips heads on sleep, I KO it. He puts up SEL and snipes my reuniclus. My thought process was to get a unexpected zekrom drop and outrage it for a KO for 2 prizes putting my at one. but I forgot at one point thinking I still had reuniclus in play and wait till I have enough bench space to bench my 2 solosis, so that I can freely move around dmg when necessary. But, he palyed smart and just waited untill he can KO my last reuniclus. He goes for a torrent blade trying to KO reuniclus and he said bursting inferno instead. I am thinking. OMG, I can lay down zek and and move dmg to it and KO his SEL ftw. but I don't have the DCE and decide to do dmg with goth. he goes and KO's my goth and passes, I go and its 2-2 prizes. I go and catcher up his cleffa and KO it with gothitelle. He goes and uses torrent blade to KO my reuniclus. From here it's 1-1 and i'm looking through my discard pile and thinking. I have one junk arm left in my deck. If I hit the junk arm, I can bring up his reuniclus and KO it FTW. I pont and reveal the top 6, one by one and I don't hit it. :/ I flip over my prize and its a junk arm. I shake my opponents hand and said "Good game".

7-3

After I lost, he goes on to beat my fellow gothitelle friend, Andrew J in T8 and goes to T2 and win the tounament.

I go to play VGC with a fairly decent team and go 3-4.

one of my games was soooo stupid. I played against this person that looks like he has a theme deck in his crumpled penny sleeves, and he opens with Shiny Suicune from gamestop and Articuno, I open with choice scarf gengar and Hydreigon with life orb. I go for thunderbolt with gengar onto his suicune and it lives with a sliver of health, and I use Flamethrower with hydreigon onto his articuno, which also lived with a bit of health, he goes and uses blizzard and he DOUBLE freezes both my pokes and tail winds with articuno. at this point, I'm a bit frustrated and just stay frozen for like 4 turns seeing that he doesn't EV train at ALL, he finally KOs one of my pokemon and I sent out terrakion. I go for rockslide and it KOs articuno. and WHATS THIS? Blizzard/Crit/Freeze my terrakion 0_o. I'm a bit pissed at this point and just say "Wow, thats legit" and let out a sarcastic looking laugh. I send out tornadus and he blizzard crits it and wins the game. At the end I gave a kind gesture, even though I lost one of the most ridiculous games I have ever played. And this is someone not that experienced with the game.

after all the VGC round, I quit due to the very unfortunate amount of luck tahts required, more then the TCG, IMO.

Props
Going T16
Gothitelle
friends
Judges
fun etc
liam for letting me borrow the tropical beach
koichi for going t16
liam for going t16
Andrew going T8
Jackson K going T4 :D Good Job bro

Slops
Me and my terrible decklist writing skills
The ridiculous amount of freeze hax in one of my games.

Hope you all enjoy my report and i'll prolly post my list tomorrow or something. kthxbye :D

Last edited:
Oh hey bro! Sorry I couldn't let you take back the catcher :/. But, overall your a really chill dude and I hope to see you soon. :D

Back