Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

City Championship Reports

Ruiner

Ok, just like last year, I am going to use one thread for all of my City reports, so each one I go to, I'll post my next report as I go to them. Makes it easier to keep track of. ANYWAYS, on to my first report.

I was going to be driving down to Columbus today for the Magic State Championships, after compiling a good and well tested Jund deck ( for anyone who plays Magic, I know, so exciting and fresh ) but I was A.) short on money ( 25ish for entry, 20 for gas, 10 for parking...I'm poor an unemployed! ) Instead, I decide to go to league in the morning, and round up a crew and end up driving out to Chardon for the City Championships. AJ, the organizer, had called me earlier in the week about judging, but I was planning to go to States, so I turned it down. Of course, I show up anyways, and my friend Scotty had already grabbed the judge spot. So I decided to play and I grabbed what I am confident is one of the best decks, Dialga Garchomp with Toxitank. My list wasn't perfected, and could probably be smoothed out as I haven't played much at all this season, but overall it played very well for me.

Round 1 vs David B with Gengar Nidoqueen Relicanth

David had been doing extremely well during Battle Roads, and was still running hot after winning Ohio States the year before, beating me in top 4, and Drew Holton in top 2. I was a bit worried because he was likely to have a better feel for the format than me being far more active. I get a pretty nice opening hand, starting with Dialga, but I lose the die roll, and he opens Gastly, allowing him to Dark Pitch to prevent me from playing my Energy Gain and Galactic HQ to start a Deafen. I get my set up rolling, and toss an Unown G onto my Baltoy. I start going aggressive and take an early prize, and drop the Galactic HQ and use Skuntank to poison Gengar. Of course, this was a disastrous move, as he procedes to drop Relicanth, which deals 90 due to my stadium: Honest confession, I knew Relicanth did 30x tool, and I have E Gain and Unown G in play...definitely forgot about the Stadium part. SLIGHTLY awkward. Anyways, I am rewarded for my awful play by an awesome topdeck, putting me in a great game position by getting another Claydol up shortly there after. Outside of the few support/draw Pokemon in my deck, it is really, really hard for Gengar to make much ground against my SP Pokemon, and I end up winning comfortably after doing my best to throw the game away. ( You'll see a trend of this in this report ) I felt I would be in good shape to win regardless even if I didn't topdeck as well as I did, due to the inherent strength of the matchup, but it was still embarassing.

1-0

Round 2 vs Jeanette S with Gyarados

She gets a decent start, slowrolling the Sableye open, but she has a hard time getting anything going early because she has a really difficult time getting to her Magikarp early enough. By the time she does, my Dialga is tanked heavily, and I'm able to Warp Energy into Garchomp C Lvl X enough times that my Dialga goes the distance. Midgame I did the fun little Deafen lock for a KO in order to assure me a few turns of no Gyarados. Gyarados has a really hard time dealing with Deafen if it doesn't have any particular tech for it, and she didn;t...I built her Gyarados list, and well, it wasn't nearly as good as it should have been. SOOO I'm taking the blame for this one.

2-0

Round 3 vs Ryan M with GG

I'm not 100% on the name, but he traveled in from New York with a group of people for CCs this weekend. He opened with Spiritomg and started to get set up, and I locked in a Galactic HQ, and kept Deafening, while poisoning him. He didn't want to evolve his stage 1s into the Gardevoir/Gallades until he could break my stadium, which I'm not sure I agree with. On one side, if he does evolve, he takes 20, which is bad news putting his Gardevoir at 90, and Gallade at 110 when dealing with my Toxicroak G. Unfortunately, since he didn't evolve, I opened up my game, breaking Deafen once I was set up effectively, and brought up Garchomp C Lvl X to do 80 to Kirlia with 3 energy, leaving him with a Ralts with an Upper. This becomes a Gallade, and flips 3 prizes for the KO, but that means he can't deal with my Expert Belt'd metal'd Dialga, I bench the 2nd Garchomp C, and have Aaron's Collection in hand to get Garchomp back, and have a Warp Energy and the Cyrus Chain of PokeTurn in hand to make sure that Dialga isn't getting chewed through anytime soon. At that point, he is stuck using psychic types to try and eat through Dialga, which isn't happening. He used the last 3 prizes with Gallade, which was likely incorrect because he would be better off doing smaller damage at first with other attackers to force me to keep Chomping to prevent the other KO. I guess he didn't know I'd have access to the 2nd Chomp though, but it was still likely I did. Again, this is another matchup where Dialga simply has an innate advantage. As long as I force them to flip prizes with Gallade early, they can't chew threw my tanked Dialga mid and late game.

3-0

Round 4 vs Joey G with Gliscor Lock

Joey was my only loss at one of the Battle Roads I went to, beating me in the finals, so I wanted a bit of revenge. I saw he was using Gliscor and felt very comfortable. Notice a trend here? I was being carried this tournament by deck choice alone. My start sadly is atrocious. Not unplayable, but it involves me needing to Chatot, and use Azelf, and a bunch of other stupid stuff just to get Claydol online. I'm stuck not being able to get Dialga G Lvl X online until about 12 turns into the game, meaning I had to deal with being locked out of trainers ( and attacks) for a very very large portion of the early game. I also didn't see ANY of my Warp Energy until I'd already taken 3 prizes. I had a Dialga G active at one point, and he used the one Gliscor and flipped heads, reducing me to 10 damage. If I knew that card existed I'd have probably used an Unown G at some point. That Dialga later got Relicanth'd, as I was threatening a Garchomp C Lvl X and it has 2 special metals on it. This gave me access to my trainers, and a few turns later, I got Dialga G Lvl X up, and after that point, I had a hand full of PokeTurn, and this let Garchomp and Warp Energy make it academic. Joey wasn't sure if the Relicanth play was correct but I'm positive it was, he has to get that Dialga out of the game, even if it meant breaking the lock, because it was only a matter of time before I broke it myself, and taking out Dialga was a large chunk of my set up.

4-0

So I'm guaranteed to make top 4 at this point, but strangely we get a 5th round with 17 people. I'm not complaining though.

Round 5 vs ??? with Gengar Nidoqueen with a 1-1 Blaziken FB Lvl X

Ok, this game was ugly. My hand was pretty slow, and he opened Blaziken. I wasn't sure what he was running, but I knew it was Quagsire time. So I Roseanne...oh, lame, Quagsire is prized. Oh. So is my Water Energy. I get Azelf and grab Quagsire and stack the prizes so I know where the Water is, but I'm stuck with a weaker set up this way, and am a few energy drops behind as I wind up having to Chatot trying to get to Claydol. He ends up getting a bunch of guys into play as I am setting up. He ends up with Gengar, Gengar, Nidoqueen, Claydol, and Blaziken FB on his bench...his active? Spiritomb, which he used to get the 2nd Gengar online.I immediately send up Azelf, and Lock Up. I try to psyche him out. " I know your not running any dark energy " and he shrugs like it doesn't matter, and than after my 3rd turn of Deafening I let him know I'm going to do that until time and simply KO it once we reach sudden death. Due to it's PokeBody, he couldn't play Switch, Warp Point, Super Scoop Up, etc to get it unactive. He couldn't damage me due to not running Dark. His bench was full, preventing him from dropping an Unown G to break the lock, and Nidoqueen made it so Lock Up netted a total of 0 damage by the end of his turn. It was such a stupid scenario to have happen, and I doubt I'll ever be able to end up doing that again, but it was nice to sneak out a win after the awful start I had. The matchups likely very close if we both get equal starts as Quagsire is a very good counter to Blaziken. I also don't need to heavy-tank a Dialga to fight Gengar, so I don't have to invest everything in one Dialga letting Blaziken ruin me, so I still have plenty of game vs that.

5-0

Top 4 vs Mike A with Uxie

Ok, we effectively make an agreement that if I can get Deafen off, he scoops that game. My opening hand is AWFUL game one, as in, unplayable awful, I have a Call Energy, but open with a lone Azelf going 2nd. I Call for Dialga and Baltoy, with nothing in my hand. He double PokeBlowers Dialga up, but doesn't get the KO. I end up PokeTurning, and calling again for a Chatot and a Dialga. He has a tiny hand though, so Chatot isn't exactly very good. I topdeck a Bebe's Search though, and get Claydol, and a Metal, and I get Deafen off. He scoops. Game 2, my hand is a lot better. Well, not really, but it gives me the tools to guarantee I get a Dialga online by turn 4. He clunks a bit and has some poor flips, and misses a few early KOs by a few damage. PokeTurn wastes his effort and keeps me fine prize wise and Defean gets online. Its academic at that point as theres literally no way for the deck to damage me once I get Deafen up. What did I say earlier about Dialga making things easy?

6-0

Top 2 vs Andrew S with Toxitank Toolbox

He was mainly using Toxitank with heavy Crobats and Honchkrow. He'd just won a sudden death game vs Gliscor in top 4. Game one I get a pretty good start, and get a tanked Dialga up with a few Metal. He ends up getting Deafened pretty early, and he can't chew through the metals. He gets Mewtwo Lvl X up, and he hits me for 10 with it's attack past metal and resistance. I get the Lvl X, and Deafen plus Poison with Skuntank. He smacks me for 70, and I warp and Garchomp C Lvl X the damage away. I drop an Expert Belt, and KO with Remove Lost and a few turns later he concedes as I am up on prizes and he really has no way to ever kill Dialga. He could have likely taken a few cheap snipe KOs over the course of the game, but a VAST majority of his attackers were psychic, and most of them capped at very low damage vs me. Game 2, I get an alright hand, but am slow at getting access to Claydol. He gets Honchkrow up sniping early, and I am unable to bench a Baltoy until I make sure my active is a more alluring target than my freshly benched baltoy. I actually wind up benching both Baltoy at once, and eventually get a claydol down. He played his own Galactic HQ, which is pretty lame for me because I can't counter it and it prevents me from poisoning Mewtwo, and also makes it so he has a very easy time sniping my Claydols. I Roseanne for both Baltoy, like an idiot, when I needed to get a Crobat to score the KO on the active Honchkrow and am instead stuck Deafening again. I follow up this awesome play by Cyrus'ing into an SP Radar to get Garchomp Lvl X to heal off all the damage from Dialga only to notice about 8 turns into the game he was prized. I could have Roseanne'd for an Azelf and been fine. He proceeds to Cyrus for a Power Spray the next turn too, noticing it was prized. I try to bait out his Spray but it doesn't work. I'm stuck Bronzong turning Dialga for awhile as he overextends with Crobats to take a few prizes, tying us at 4 prizes a piece. With roughly 10-15 minutes left, his board is Crobat x3, Skutank, Toxicroak, and Uxie. I just keep Deafening, and his board is unable to even damage my Dialga without freeing up bench space. I buy 3-4 turns with this as he first tries to use Skuntank to Smokescreen me, which I counter by Warp Energy and eventually an Unown G on a second Dialga. This gets him to finally use Uxie's Psychic Restore to free a bench space, and I take a KO with Remove Lost to go up on prizes when time is called.

7-0

SOO despite playing some of the worst Pokemon I'd played in years due to being very rusty and not knowing most of the new cards, I pull off a win at my first Cities. Not sure I deserved it, but hey, I'm not complaining. I really felt Dialga Garchomp was a fantastic choice, as it has so many free wins in the format, and it almost no autolosses. Even its weaker matchups are close to 50-50 and can certainly be teched for and played around.

You're playing? XD

I had a judge spot for today if you want it. I'm planning on playing instead. I'm sure you knew that already though. GJ!

wow thats a vey well done 7-0 with dialga toolbox .... its rly cool... how did u manage to fit in expert belts.?

Clay: I just like to use the best deck ;)

Drew: Thanks one the grats :)

Stephen: I'll be down in Akron and hopefully I'll judge. If not, I'll play. We'll see.

Dragon: How did I fit them? Well, I probably ran an unhealthy number of "one ofs" in my list as usual ;)

Drew: Thanks one the grats :)

Dragon: How did I fit them? Well, I probably ran an unhealthy number of "one ofs" in my list as usual ;)

I won as well but only went 6-1, however I was thinking the same thing about how did you fit everything in the list, but then realized that you like running a lot of 1 of cards. :lol:

Drew

I'll judge any tourneys I'm able to, but everyone wants to judge here, so I can't really get as many positions as I'd like.

ANYWAYS

I drove down to Akron for the City Championships since I owed my friend a playmat from a trade, and I had to pick up my drivers license that I left at my friends place, and AJ told me if theres enough people at the event that I could judge, but if not, they had enough staff already picked out. I end up playing, and again use Garchomp Dialga. There are 43 players this time in Masters ( Quite a big increase! ) Due to time restraints, we ran 5 rounds with a cut to top 8. It left us with exactly 2 5-0s but 6 4-1s, so it was actually a nice break since tiebreakers were irrelevent.

Round 1 vs Deon L with Machamp Flygon

He ran an inverse list, with the focus on Machamp over the Flygon, and I really liked it. You want to open with Machamp and use Flygon mid to late game anyways, so why not? I get a pretty meh start, and go second. Things go awry when he goes off and gets a t2 Machamp, and takes out my Crobat G I had benched to promote after using Chatot G. I go, and I have a potential attack...but I Cosmic for 6, and wiff an energy with 13 left in deck, plus 4 roseanne and 4 cyrus, and am forced to burn my Aaron's Collection to get back Crobat to put an Unown G on it to stall. He goes, levels up, and uses Take Out...for nothing. He wasn't familiar with the ruling on it, and assumed he'd be hitting me for 80 past my resistance. This should give me a chance to get back in it, but I proceed to draw really poorly after I manage to take the Lvl X out. I'm still "in it" for a few turns, but even if I did hit well, due to my start, missed energy drops, and having to burn Aaron, I was likely in for an uphill, but winnable, battle. I scoop when hes down to 3 prizes and I'm still at 5 as I know its out of reach.

0-1

Round 2 vs Sammy B with Luxray Blaziken Garchomp

She mulligans and I open Garchomp. She opens Unown G. I go first and attach to Garchomp. She goes, and Calls. I play down Azelf, and see my prizes have a Power Spray, and a Bronzong G. Bronzong makes my 3rd SP Pokemon, and I have the kill on Unown. She had Bebe'd last turn for a Claydol, and has a benched Baltoy and Blaziken. I have Quagsire GL on my bench that I can work on powering for Blaziken, and my own Claydol. I clog my bench with Bronzong ( My set up was fine MINUS a bunch of bench clutter ) and I take Power Spray for my prize. She brings up Blaziken, and I end up Power Spraying Cosmic Power. I snipe and kill the Claydol next turn, and she struggles to get going from there. I miss take a prize, not taking the Warp Energy, which allows her to lure up Claydol and it dies, making my game a bit clunky, but I'm up solidly on prizes, and her set ups far worse than mine as losing her Claydol just left her too vulnerable. Garchomp takes all 6 prizes...well, 5, but I opted for a Quagsire kill at the end to claim I actually used it. Well, I've used it a lot, but its more of the threat of it coming up to deter fire type splashes from hitting me than me needing to use it.

1-1

Round 3 vs Logan L with Primeape

I get a good start, and know that once I thin my deck out of big basics that he'll have a very hard time ever chewing through my guys. I take the first few prizes, and have to play around his Relicanth ( that card is unbelievably good and being underrated at the moment ) He gets some lucky plucks off my deck with Primeapes attacks, but they aren't too relevant as it is a very good matchup for me as the game wears on. I get Dialga G Lvl X with Metals tanked, and he seals the rest of the game for me after I give up a total of 3 prizes ( 2 to early Primeapes, one to Relicanth )

2-1

Round 4 vs Rich Olsen with Tangrowth Heal

He opened Chansey, and I had no idea what he was playing but I was glad it didn't look to be fire. I open Dialga, and my hand is retarded. I go first, and Call for Baltoy and Skuntank. Turn 2, I attach a special metal, play Claydol, Crobat, PokeTurn, Energy Gain, and KO Chansey with Second Strike. He has a Tangela, which becomes Tangrowth, but my set up is far too good too early, and he gets a somewhat slow start. If I start the way I do, I think I win the matchup regardless of how good his start is, and if we both start evenly, I think it still favors Dialga, but it isn't a blowout like it is when I explode vs his very subpar opening.

3-1

Round 5 vs Bryan with Gengar Nidoqueen Blaziken

A rematch from the prior day, and I don't think I'll be getting the free Azelf lock this game ;) He also added a Warp Energy. I'm taking credit for that. Anyways, I get a fairly poor start, but he wiffs on some energy drops early, and he has a Spiritomb active. He gets to get a bunch of evolutions in play, but I'm able to get energy in play, allowing me to set up the exchanges how I see fit. I don't bench many powers, and I'm 99% sure he doesn't run Relicanth, so I don't have to worry about my claydol, so I Unown G it. I was correct, and due to a Deafen KO on his Spiritomb, he was unable to drop the Energy Gain and Fire on his Blaziken ( I had the Quagsire return KO ready ) so I go up a free prize. I end up staying ahead on prizes fairly easily and get my tanked Dialga G Lvl X going, and have to deal with his Gengar lvl X. I am working on powering a Garchomp C Lvl X on the bench, knowing it can steal 2 prizes off the bench uncontested if I need to. The game is very defensive, and the Gengar X makes it so his Nidoqueen is able to get back online if I can't keep grabbing Dialga. I'm able to keep getting it, and hit Gengar to set him up for a KO the next turn. We had both been playing fairly slow because the game position was very tight, so time winds up called at prizes tied 4-4 ( which seems very low, but in this matchup, I'm avoiding Gengar's Power- plus my weak start- and hes not able to KO much so its not as bad as it sounds ) and I'm able to snipe with Garchomp to go down to 3 and win.

4-1

I managed to live the dream and recover from the 0-1 start. I end up in 8th place and the lowest 4-1 due to awful breakers. I get paired vs my friend Scotty Doolittle ( With a name like that, first and last name ALWAYS are said together ) and his Gallade Gardevoir deck.

Top 8 vs Scotty Doolittle with GG

This matchup is really good for me, and he gets a good start, but I get a solid one too. I start off Deafening vs his Spiritomb, and refuse to take the quick KO to walk into Upper since I know inevitability favors me. I also made the realization that once he gets down to like, 2-3 prizes, a tanked Dialga is nearly an autowin vs him. Anyways, I end up doing what I did the other day, and I use Garchomp C Lvl X to bait him into flipping prizes when I snipe a benched Gardevoir Lvl X that had 50 on it ( second strike ) for a KO. He flips prizes, and I end up getting the return KO with Toxicroak G as he has no counter stadium for my Galactic HQ and ends up with 20 damage on Gallade to start. He scoops that game, and game two, I get a really good start and his is ok but not enough to keep up. He scoops fairly early into this game too.

5-1

Top 4 vs Ryne with Flygon Machamp

I open with Chatot G and have Spiritomb in hand. He opens with Machop ( standard ) and I end up using Chatot G's attack to get a Luxury Ball. I hide behind Spiritomb to stop his Rare Candys, but he gets a Broken Time space a few turns in to get set up and ready. This is a matchup I REALLY want an early Deafen with a Galactic HQ for. I feel the matchup isn't too bad ( close to 50-50 ) as long as he doesn't get a really fast Machamp. If he does, I'm pretty much screwed. I'm able to slow his game down enough to get a bunch of energy in play which is key. I KO his Machamp with my Toxicroak G, and he brings up Nidoqueen for the return KO. I end up Deafen locking it active ( huge 3 retreat cost ) and Flygon can't free retreat it due to my Lvl X's Body. I end up letting it die by poison at the end of his turn, and this ties us at 4 prizes each. I'm busy tanking my Dialga with metals for " the plan" and I end up getting 3 special metals on it during this Nidoqueen tangle. He brings up Uxie, and I am stuck trying to get the 4th metal, If I get 4 metals, I put Unown G on it, and hes only able to deal 110 with Flygon Lvl X and he'd be short of the KO. He can't Machamp it either. If he hits me for 110, I warp energy for Garchomp X, snipe for 160, and heal off Dialga. He'd have no means of chewing through that Dialga ever. I manage to burn a ton of cards from my larger hand, and get stuck cosmic'ing for 2...I'd kept track, and knew I'd seen all but the top 6 cards of my deck, and one was the metal. I draw one...Aaron...two...Bebe. I'm stuck Bronzoning an energy benched to get Garchomp ready for sniping, and Remove Lost for the KO. He Machamps me, and I am stuck hitting his active with Toxicroak G being 20 short of a KO. He Relicanth's my Garchomp on the bench for 120, and I scoop. I could have gotten to 1 prize. Game 2, I threaten a turn 2 90s with Dialga G, but he benches a Baltoy and plays Roseanne so I scoop as game 1 took 50 minutes.

5-2, 4th place.

hey nice job tho flygon is hard fro that deck. I noticed you never cyrus's for basic metal, do you run at least 1 basic metal energy to get that quick defean? I didn't read your entire report but, have you considered 1 honchkrow g and a darkness energy? Nice job anyway.

I run 1 basic metal. And I do end up cyrus/roseanning for it quite a bit. Not enough to justify running 2, but I'd never run 0.

I'd love Honchkrow, MAINLY as a way to get a quick gym out. That was somewhat annoying as I had no means of searching for them, plus the snipe is never bad. Sadly there are a lot of cards I'd like to run ( why I only ran 3 gyms ) and I don't think that devoting 2 spots to Honchkrow and Darkness is feasible.

Yup, you got the name right. I'm going to be crunching my brain over how to make that matchup a bit better for sure. To be honest I had never played against the deck at all and really thought I could dig into one of my two stadiums, which never happened in time. Oh well. In hindsight I really should have evolved anyway, but I completely forgot about Dragon Rush. Learned a lot from that game and glad I got the chance to talk with you. Oh, and thanks for the playmat. :)

Glad the game was able to help out! I know I learned a whole lot about this format over the course of this weekend. I was really rusty, and I pretty much had to come up with game plans on the fly for uhhhh every matchup, and I know at least a few of them I approached incorrectly. I also learned I am already fed up with Relicanth. :D

How many energy do you run of each? Fitting in call, special metal, warp, basic metal AND water energy in a SP deck is pretty hard.

Ross: Chatot G will NOT remain in the deck. I adjusted a few things for Sundays tournament to try and smooth over the consistancy...mainly in regards to getting Claydol. I figured Chatot G could fetch me Luxury Ball, and was also SP Radarable. I cut the other Chatot for it. I'm still not sure exactly what I'm doing in that regards but the list as a whole ran really well for me and I like it, I just wanna streamline it a bit more.

I end up driving a bunch of people to tournaments. I'll judge when I'm able to get the spot, but if I'm driving my crew there regardless, I'm not going to sit out on the event altogether.

In retrospect I'm not 100% against the Chatot G, but I also really don't think hes the "answer" I'm looking for,

Back