Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Collection Organization

PokeHeir

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I've browsed the forums for various topics including this one. I've also researched this topic extensively on youtube channels and other forums, but without the information I need.

Intro: I collected and played pokemon cards and games when I was young and it was first introduced to the US. I lost touch after Gen 3 and a little over a year ago I picked it back up again. I collect sets and am beginning to casually play, but my collection is more of a priority than playing.

So here's my point: What's the best way to organize my cards?

Currently I have 6x 3" 3 ring binders from UltraPro. I organize my binders by generation of cards and shove as many sets as I can in each binder. So I have 1 binder for Gen 1, 1 for Gen 2, 2 for Gen 5, and 2 for Gen 6. My 1st edition Team Rocket and Gym Heroes sets are doubled up into the same pages with the 1st edition cards in front of the unlimited, so all pockets have 4 cards per pocket. Also, for the newer sets with reverse holos, I also double up and place the reverse holo versions in front of the regular versions, so most pockets end up with 4 cards in them. For Gen 1 and Gen 2, I sleeve the Holos upside down before placing into the pages; for Gen 6 I only sleeve EX and up in the same manner.

I organize my cards this way because it's an easy way to simply grab a binder of a bunch of sets. I've seen people buy 1" binders for each individual set, but it just seems too much. With 3" binders, my collection is more consolidated. Plus a lot of people separate their 1st editions from unlimited and their reverse holos from regular, but this just creates another binder or extra pages of "duplicates" since the cards are essentially the same. I like having all cards from one set in one place, and so doubling up seems logical to save space.

Here is my issue: Is there a better way of organizing my collection? So my main two concerns are having multiple cards per pocket and adequate protection. I don't move my binders around too much, so I'm not worried about them slipping out. The cards stay in relatively ok for the amount of movement I subject them to, but I'm concerned about damage to cards. I've seen cards stick together over time. Will my pockets with 4 cards to a page eventually start sticking together? Also, I started sleeving the valuable cards upside down to prevent dust intrusion. What about the other cards? Obviously they're not exactly valuable, but I want my cards to be in good condition. So how serious is this dust problem over time?

Everyone who collects sets: How do you organize your cards and why? I want my cards to remain in the best condition, and I'm not sure if my method allows that.

Sorry for long post. [Insert potato]

P.S. I'll post some pics of my collection some time later so you have an idea how my organization is.

Putting multiple cards in a 9-pocket sleeve stretches out the sleeve. I can see putting 2 cards in a sleeve - 1st edition and Unlimited or 1st edition and parallel foil.

Our collections are in set order by card number. First edition, then unlimited edition because those are considered different sets. When Legendary Collection came along, regular set and then parallel foil set, because they are different sets (not every card has a parallel foil).

So stretching of the page pockets aren't really an issue to me. I don't see what harm that would have on the cards. Having the cards together like that, although maybe considered as separate sets, makes each set seem "together". So unless it will ruin the cards' quality over time, I prefer it that way, unless you know of a better way for me to display it that I haven't considered yet?

I've considered having the regular or unlimited versions in the front, then have separate pages to contain the 1st editions or the reverse holos either in the front or rear. I just hate flipping through it and go "oh here's this set, and behind it is virtually the same set that looks exactly the same aside from this little mark". Plus, it'll add even more volume to the binders which means I'll have to get additional binders to accommodate the increased size

Of course, I can always just switch to individual binders per set, but then that would be a lot of small binders, and I'm not a big fan of that many binders.

I've also thought about protecting the cards better by having only one card per pocket and sleeving every single card, but I didn't see the point. Should I be considering this? Are my cards significantly more exposed to the elements without doing this?

In a perfect world, if I am absolutely obsessed with the utmost protection of my cards, I would double sleeve every single card, and place them into side load 9-pocket pages and each set have it's individual binder. Should I do this? I pretty much JUST bought those 6x 3" 3 ring binders from ultrapro recently (my old ones were beat up). Plus, I would have to invest in the side load pages and the new binders for individual sets. It would be quite a bit more money, but if it will really provide THAT much more protection, it would be worth it, right?

The bulk of my collection. From left to right: Gen 1, Gen 2, Gen 5, Gen 5, Gen 6, Gen 6. 3 small binders: pokedex, checklist, promos.

http://i.imgur.com/unEFrgz.jpg?1

So these next 4 pics show what I was describing above. 1st edition cards and reverse holo cards are doubled up on top of the regular cards. It keeps the artwork combined to condense what is shown. I like its neatness and minimalism. My question is if it's really the best way to organize my cards. I've seen many many different ways to organize, and I really like LadyKay's method here. But if my cards really aren't in any danger of damage, I can't rationalize spending the extra money for more sleeves, side load 9-pocket pages, and different binders for individual sets. What's your take?

http://i.imgur.com/im0amJN.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/NM4Za3P.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/tOmgjkC.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/fwspReH.jpg?1

Unopened boxes. Lots of stuff to expand on Gen 5 collection. Also beginning to get into Japanese cards so I have a box of 1st edition DS, CP1, CP2, and CP3. Will open eventually; planning to open once I'm done with Gen 1 unlimited (about a dozen cards from Gym Heroes), Team Rocket and Gym Heroes 1st edition, and Gen 6 (hopefully done soon, XY through Phantom Forces already complete).

http://i.imgur.com/56XLuUl.jpg?1

So yeah, please share how you organize your sets. I want to get ideas on any changes I should make if any. Thanks!

If you are happy with the way you organize your sets, then you are good.

Stretching 9-card pockets ruins the 9-card pocket. I wouldn't put no more than 2 cards in a pocket - the regular card and parallel foil version if it exists.

I keep mine by set so 1st ed. Base, Shadowless Base, Base, 1st ed. Jungle, Jungle, 1st ed. Fossil, etc. and later regular set and parallel foil set. If a theme deck had a holo version of a non-holo and/or non-holo version of a holo, i would put that after the last card of the set.

Of course number of binders doesn't worry me since i do 3 of each set.

Yeah, I'm highly considering just switching to individual binders. That way I can sleeve every card without worrying about over stuffed pockets. Just feel like it's a lot more money to put down. I guess I'll sleep on it some more. Thanks.

In the binders, Holos and parallel foils are sleeved. If i have extra sleeves, the upper right and lower right cards are also sleeved per page.

Why upper right and lower right? So for the sets with Reverse Holos, you sleeve the regular Holos and place in front of Reverse Holos and opposite for non-Holos?

Holo and parallel foils are their own sets. I only put 1 card in a pocket.

To me the 3rd & 9th pockets are in the areas most likely to get harmed. Something falls on your binder, the corners are going to get hurt the most. You drop your binder the corners are in the most danger.

What's your take on dust intrusion from the top? Are your sleeves upside down? Or do you use side-load pages instead? Why not concern yourself with sleeving every card, even non-holos?

When i started side-loading pages didn't exist so i have regular 9-pocket sleeves. Dust shouldn't be an issue - just blow/wipe off (keeping the pages tight together). Never thought of putting in upside down sleeves - but wouldn't putting the sleeve in upside down be tougher than having it right side up? Sleeving every card would be a waste. Most commons and uncommons (and even Holos) aren't really worth much. I wouldn't want to "waste" a sleeve on an Energy Search.

Back