Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Colliseum Query

Psycho_Lugia_X

I just opened my Colliseum that has been gathering dust for about the past week...

..I have a question: how successful are you at snagging? I have only been bale to get Bayleef, failed at a Misdreavous and a Noctowl...

Is there something I'm missing?

Anyways, how well do you play?

I don't miss a Pokemon because I save and restore after every battle and retry as necessary. Its a pain but it works. P.S. You can still get Misdrevious and Noctowl from the trainers from Duel Square by rechallenging them. However this trick doesn't work with other Trainers and their shadow Pokemon.

As for catching the shadow Pokemon it is alot like going after wild Pokemon from the GBA games. Keep these tips in mind.

*Always keep stock with the best balls possible. When low on cash choose balls over healing supplies. However competing in colosseum tournaments in Phenac City and the Under should help your finances.

*Remember you are playing 2 on 2 matches and should avoid fighting the Shadow Pokemon until the other pokemon are fainted. Remember there is only one shadow Pokemon per trainer when they have one.

*Don't drain HP to the absolute minimum and keep the target asleep for as long as possible. Look for shawdow Pokemon that know Sleep Powder which is the most reliable sleeping move. Remember they will use Shadow Rush which can knock them out

*Always try again! So in order to do that save after every battle. This is an antanogizing to do yes, but worth every moment if you are hunting for unique Pokemon that can't be found in the GBA versions.

*P.S. you will most likely have to hold your pants until Red and Blue come out this fall in order to capture the basic stage Pokemon. Remember that only Ditto is the wildcard and will most likely only be found in Red and Blue.

Good luck!

Last edited:
You do have the chance to recapture most everything.

I think the actual only one you don't have more than one chance on is Togetic.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've been saving before every shadow battle because I'm getting a female of each when possible (for breeding). Gotta love the good trade bait, for now ;)

I haven't found too many of them diffucult to catch, Raikou has been the hardest and for some reason a pesky Forretress.

Last edited:
Psycho_Lugia_X said:
..I have a question, how successful are you at snagging?
Snagged every one so far.
TIP:Snag Skiploom in the Battle square in Pyrite & Lv it up to 60 or so. Put all the Shadow PKMN to sleep and lower the Hp with Secret Power with your Umbreon or use Psybeam/Confusion with your Espeon.
Red5bv06 said:
I've been saving before every shadow battle because I'm getting a female of each when possible (for breeding).
same here. :D
Me want Female Espeon!!! :mad:

Last edited:
You can get the Admin's Pokemon again at the Reglam Tower. Thats how I got my Raikou.

Also, for some reason I caught my Entei in a Pokeball when an Ultraball wouldn't hold it.

I missed 5 Pokemon total this time. There is a way to get all the other Cipher Peon's Pokemon because in Team Snagem's hideout, each one jumps down in front of you every time. Get through it enough times and you should be able to recapture those Pokemon.

I prefer using Swift and Special Power against Shadow Pokemon. Swift is a weak attack, and Special Power usually Paralyzes.

I have all 48, and I caught them within 5 days of Colosseums purchase. Snagging is quite easy.

mysterioustrainer said:
*Don't drain HP to the absolute minimum and keep the target asleep for as long as possible. Look for shawdow Pokemon that know Sleep Powder which is the most reliable sleeping move. Remember they will use Shadow Rush which can knock them out

Spore is the most reliable sleeping move, although no catchable poke in Colosseum can learn it besides Smeargle.

Last edited:
I like using Yawn (both Dunsparce and Quagsire know it). I find that if a pokemon is paralysed, it won't go to sleep...

I'll be re-starting the game to run through and 'snag-'em'all' after reading that this is the only way to get Ho-oh...

If you missed any shadow Pokemon in the Shadow Lab on your first try, the Cipher Peons will drop down again (with slightly stronger Pokemon) when you revisit the lab after you beat the final boss. I found that out while hunting down the Trainer who was holding Quilava.

Snagging is as simple as catching a wild Pokemon in any of the GBA games.... 3 simple rules will almost always ensure a succesfull Snag/Catch

1/ Weaken a Pokemon, the weaker it is the easier to catch it is. Try to get it in the red health for best results.

2/ The better the Pokeball, the easier the catch. Get Great and Ultra Balls ASAP... Timer balls for Legendaries (along with lots o Ultras)

3/ Status... Dont use Poison or Burn, even though the help too, they inflict uneeded damage on the Pokemon you are trying to catch. Paralyze/Sleep work the best... I think Freeze works as well

Now on legendaries, the longer you are in the battle, the more usefull Timer balls become. they increase in power every 10 rounds. It may take a few resets/battles to catch these, FYI.

well I'm able to usually catch a pokemon first time I fight it if i really want to catch it.Some of the things I do.

1.Keep the strongest type of ball u can with u.(mainly ultra balls,but remember net balls work as good as ultra balls on water types.)
2.Kill off everything except the shadow pokemon, that way u don't take to much extra damage.
3.Flaffy and Espeon are a good team for catching things.Use reflect with espeon then thunderwave with Flaffy.Catching the pokemon should be fairly easy even if their in yellow(not green or red)
4.These are good tips but most catches however rely mainly on luck.Try them, if they work for u good, if not then u prolly have bad luck.

Well luck seems to not like me because the one trainer with the Shadow Hitmontop...I had it down to 1 HP, it was poisoned, and it was confused. I threw a Ultra ball and it wouldn't even give the ball a chance to roll around before it popped out and died from poison.. >.<

It's more like 20-80% chance for me...:(

And the Bayleef, wow talk about making me angry. It was his last pokemon, it was in, say mid-yellow, so i figured my Umbreon's bite wont kill it. Well it did because it got a critical. And that's not the only pokemon it did it to. It did that to the Noctowl as well but luckily you get as many chances as you need to catch the ones in Pyrite...

Should I restart because I am at Mt. Battle with only 11 Shadow Pokemon caught and 4 purified?

Last edited:
You don't have to restart if you don't want to, you do have 1 more chance for both Hitmontop and Bayleef, but only 1 more chance for each.

MetallicKingScizor said:
Should I restart because I am at Mt. Battle with only 11 Shadow Pokemon caught and 4 purified?
Yeah.
And one thing to note: Save after every battle. (or cool event)
Goroy said:
you do have 1 more chance for both Hitmontop and Bayleef, but only 1 more chance for each
Where???

Last edited:
ShadowOfTyranitar said:
Yes, thats a simple rule you should already know. Pokes can't be inflicted with more than 1 special condition at once.

Thanks for pointing out the error of my ways lol - I do know that on the TCG you can be only aflicted by Sleep, Paralysed or Confusion at any one time (whereas other special conditions - Burn, Poison - can be in effect in multiples). But that's because a new condition will replace a previous one. I had hoped I could replace paralysed with sleep...

It does seem that they can be paralysed and confused at the same time, tho' in Colosseum (or have I got that wrong, too?)

Goroy said:
you do have 1 more chance for both Hitmontop and Bayleef, but only 1 more chance for each

off the top of my head, there IS a second chance at the "Starter" Pokemon (whichever one you went after the first time in ____ [sry, I can't remember all the city names] later in the game. You also get a crack at the other two also.

What I mean is this - when I defeated the foe who had Quilava in **runs away and finds the town names** Phenac City, he and his other two accomplices all left the city. The other two had Bayleef and Crocanaw. You get a chance at those two later.

Hitmontop will re-appear in the Shadow Lab if you didn't catch it at the Relic Stone.

MetallicKingScizor said:

What do you mean exactly - at Mt Battle in Story Mode?? Then no (as I have recently learned) because you have a second chance at nearly every Shadow Pokemon.

BTW, you can work on the two objectives for getting Ho-oh at the same time (Story Mode - catch and purify all 48 Shadow Pokemon; Battle Mode - defeat 100 trainers in Mt Battle), it's just that you must have finished the Story Mode part and have 1 available space in your Story Mode Pokemon Storage system before facing the last trainer in Mt Battle.

i already decided to not restart because last night i caught the Shadow Entei (it took two restarts and like 3 timer balls, 3 ultra Balls and 1 great ball) and i like my entei so im not going to restart

im glad i have a second chance at the starters cause i really want them too :)

Well, you can get the starter you originally tried to get, in MetallicKingScizor's case, Bayleef. Before you go into the Stadium in Realgam Tower, and before you battle GONZAP, there is a room with a bunch of trainers to battle. At the top right and left corners of the room there are rooms. If you go to the one on the right, a bodybuilder will pop out and challenge you to a battle. If you go to the left, there will be a bar and a trainer standing in the middle of the room. The trainer is a regular guy, go up to the bartender and he is the same Cipher Peon you originally battled, so in MetallicKingScizor's case, this would be the guy with the Bayleef. *I think he is a bartender, but he doesn't look like he did earlier in the game, but a regular guy, when you talk to him, he will "magically" change into his special cipher peon suit.
As for the other two starters, once you defeat Evice, the boss bad guy - he has T-tar - you will be given directions with your e-mail list and find one of the other two trainers in the Snagem hideout, and in the Shadow pokemon lab - in the exact same spot where you battle the guy with the Raikou- yoiu also have to beat a bunch of other cipher peons to get to this guy.
And as for the Hitmontop, as RainbowRichards, said he is in the Shadow Pokemon Lab, directly before you battle Ein- the guy with the Raikou.
Well, good luck to all, and don't forget to say thanks, to the Pokemon Collesseum Strategy Guide!;)

Back