Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Columbus BR Report: FIRST TOP CUT EVER!!!!!!!!

deogg

I was originally going to run a Base Set Charizard/Heatran Lv X just so I could finally play some of my BS Char's, but at the last minute I decided to go with a CurseGar/Spiritomb deck. I wound up doing something STUPID in filling out my deck list which bit me in the butt later, but more on that later.

Round 1 vs (Jakeman here on the Gym)-LuxPluff
-Like Jakeman said in his report, bad stuff prized on my end, got a ton of energy to start with, but nothing else. This one was over almost before it started

0-1

Round 2: Bye
-I wanna know who in the blue heck this Bye person is and why the heck do they NEVER show up? :tongue:

1-1

Round 3 vs Melissa P. (Dusknoir)
-Let's just say that my woes in round 1 did NOT show themselves. I had a super fast setup, Tomb locking things down. Melissa DID give me a scare when she got a fully loaded Gardy out, but by then I had one fully loaded Gengar Lv X with a second one in the works. The Gar X with Expert Belt OHKO'd the Gardy, and it was smooth sailing from there

2-1

Round 4 vs. Mr Brown (Machamp)
-I was DREADING this match. Mr. Brown is always a blast to play against, but this guy is TOUGH!!!! Anyway, it looks like he couldn't draw anything to get his Machop's evolved, and I was just going through the motions on my end getting Gengar set up...and waiting for Mr Brown to drop the hammer on me. Well, it never happened.

3-1

As I was getting my deck ready for a potential Top Cut (something I have NEVER done before, or have even been close to doing, it hits me that I might have done something really stupid. For the Mr. Mime that I put in the deck at the last minute (a Mr Mime that NEVER got used), I didn't put the set name and # on the decklist. So, in a brief convo with the HJ for today, I basically knew I was in for a Game Loss for game 1 of Top Cut (if I made it).

And then it happened.

For the first time EVER (been playing the game for just over 3 years), I made Top Cut.

And sure enough, I DID get a Game Loss for game 1 of Top Cut. Being a Professor myself, I know that it sucks having to make those calls, and it bites even more when you're on the receiving end of them, but it was the right call. I decided to scoop, because I wasn't too sure I could take my opponent two straight, or possibly even take 1 game and hold him off long enough in game 3. In hindsight, I probably should have just played it out anyway, but hey, hindsight's always 20-20. Plus, I was already on cloud 9 from Top Cut-ing, I was thrilled with the day as it was, plus I was hungry enough to eat a horse, so I was able to get some much-needed grub. As I was eating Mr Brown came in with a HUGE cookie from the nearby store congratulating me for my first Top Cut. Thanks Mr Brown. I VERY much enjoyed it on the trip home!

PROPS:
-Ryan P (the TO), HJ JohnPaul, Dustin, and James for being a kickbutt crew.
-Mr Brown for the post-Top Cut cookie
-Jersey Mike's Subs on High near Henderson. GREAT food there!!! When I'm in Columbus, I'll never go to Subway again.
-Special Props to JohnPaul for inspiring me to run CurseGar. I initially made a CurseGar deck when the Gengar and the Lv X came out, but in a few pickup games at league, it just didn't work out. Thanks to the butt kicking he handed me at the BR at Guard Tower, it gave me ideas to bring the deck back out, tweak some things. Thanks JP!

SLOPS:
-Myself for doing something epically STUPID!!!!!!!
-The HEAT in that store!!!!! Yikes, it was hot in there!

Well, now that I've gotten my first ever Top Cut under my belt, I already have my next challenge in front of me:

Do it AGAIN!! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Back