Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Coming back to Pokemon after several years

Cardkeeper

<a href="http://pokegym.net/forums/showpost.php?p=
Hey guys, I haven't been on this place in forever. Anyway, I am thinking of coming back to the Pokemon TCG after several years' hiatus. I started playing at the end of middle school/beginning of high school in 2008. I stopped playing right as junior year of high school started up. The last decks I can remember playing competitively are DialgaChomp and then BlazeRay. There was also a period right when I started to get out of the game where I played Ross' Deck up until autumn regionals. I think the last set that was out the last tournament I went to was Noble Victories, but even then it was a here-and-there type of deal. I honestly stopped playing after the first B&W set released.

Anyway I've been trying my hardest to stay up-to-date with the flow of the game since the D&P-P/HGSS era. I know EXs and stupid big basic decks have been a thing for several years now. I lurked and watched the time when ZekEels, Celebi-Tornadus-Mewtwo and Darkrai-Sableye where the big decks. But to be honest, I have really been out of the loop. I have no idea whats viable, what archetypes are established, what cards I should and shouldn't invest in, etc.

I did end up taking my Professor test in March with plans to begin judging and helping out at the local league, but unfortunately with me joining college this year, the time and money didn't exist. Now that I'm comfortably settled into school, I am more freely able to move around my time and money, so judging is also a possibility.

I guess the whole point of this post is me asking you guys for a two-three year catch-up to get me in the swing of things. I am really happy to be back and am looking forward to participating in the community again. The whole OP system seems really developed in the last few years, with Championship points and entry fees for bigger prizes (it reminds me of Magic: the Gathering!). Anyway, enough of my wall-length question. Glad to be back. See you on the inside.

-Card

Hey Cardkeeper, I realize this is a significant bump, and I'm not sure what the rules are for the gym anymore, but I'm beginning to get back in the game as well. I just began grad school in New York after moving from Tennessee, and I know I'm going to have some spare time to get in the great leagues up there. I've kept up with the video games, but those don't feel the same as the card game does to me.

But I don't know where to begin. What rules have changed since I left the game back in 09? What's the best sets to look for? Are there solid trainer engines right now that people like? I am hoping to get some of the same answers you were 9 months ago, and I don't want to start a new topic for that.

Back