Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Compendium Updates for February 1st, 2024

PKM4

Compendium Publishing Assistant
Last edited: Thursday, February 1st, 2024
(Added January 4th & 11th & 25th and February 1st Rulings)

xxxxxxxxx1xxxxxxxxx2xxxxxxxxx3xxxxxxxxx4xxxxxxxxx5xxxxxxxxx6xxxxxxxxx7xxxxxxxxx8

This edition of the Rulings Compendium includes:

|
|
* December 21st, 2023 -- No New Rulings!! --
* December 28th, 2023 -- No New Rulings!! --
* January 4th, 2024 TPCi Rules Team Meeting -- (*) --
* January 11th, 2024 TPCi Rules Team Meeting -- (*) --
* January 18th, 2024 -- No New Rulings!! --
* January 25th, 2024 TPCi Rules Team Meeting -- (*) --
* February 1st, 2024 TPCi Rules Team Meeting -- (*) --

xxxxxxxxx1xxxxxxxxx2xxxxxxxxx3xxxxxxxxx4xxxxxxxxx5xxxxxxxxx6xxxxxxxxx7xxxxxxxxx8

----------------------------------------------------------------------
ERRATA

META-RULINGS

POKEMON ABILITIES

== FILLET MEMENTO (Veluza - SV: Paradox Rift) <SV4_54>

Q. If Veluza with the "Fillet Memento" Ability gets Knocked Out and has a Splash Energy attached to it, can I move the Splash Energy but still use its effect to return Veluza to my hand?
A. If you choose to move Splash Energy with Fillet Memento, Veluza will not be returned to your hand since it no longer has Splash Energy attached. (Jan 11, 2024 TPCi Rules Team)

== PRECIOUS GIFT (Togekiss - SV: Obsidian Flames) <SV3_85>

Q. If I use Boost Shake to evolve Togetic into Togekiss, can I use Togekiss' "Precious Gift" ability, or does the effect of Boost Shake prevent me from doing so?
A. Precious Gift takes place at the end of the turn, so you still get to do it after using Boost Shake. (Jan 11, 2024 TPCi Rules Team)

== TERA (Charizard ex - SV:Obsidian Flames) <SV3_125>

Q. If I use Umbreon's "Feint Attack" on an opponent's benched Charizard ex, would the damage be blocked by Charizard ex's "Tera" trait or would it go through since "Feint Attack" ignores all effects on the opposing Pokemon?
A. Tera traits are considered effects on that Pokemon, so Feint Attack would get through it. (Jan 4, 2024 TPCi Rules Team)

== WILD STYLE (Drapion V - SW: Lost Origin) <SWSH11_118>

Q. If I have Deoxys (SWSH170 Promo) with all three "Fusion Strike", "Single Strike", and "Rapid Strike" properties in play, how much is Drapion V's "Dynamic Tail" attack discounted by for its "Wild Style" Ability?
A. While Deoxys is all three types of Strike Pokemon, it is still just one Pokemon and gives only one {C} reduction for Wild Style. (Jan 4, 2024 TPCi Rules Team)

POKEMON ATTACKS

== BINDING GREED (Wo-Chien - SV: Paradox Rift) <SV4_18>

Q. If Wo-Chien's "Binding Greed" attack knocks out the Defending Pokemon does the attack effect apply to the new Active Pokemon?
A. No, the effect of Binding Greed happens to the Defending Pokemon prior to checking if it has been KO'd. It does not pass along to the next Active Pokemon; only the Pokemon that received the attack is affected. (Jan 4, 2024 TPCi Rules Team)

== DYNAMIC TAIL (Drapion V - SW: Lost Origin) <SWSH11_118>

Q. If I have Deoxys (SWSH170 Promo) with all three "Fusion Strike", "Single Strike", and "Rapid Strike" properties in play, how much is Drapion V's "Dynamic Tail" attack discounted by for its "Wild Style" Ability?
A. While Deoxys is all three types of Strike Pokemon, it is still just one Pokemon and gives only one {C} reduction for Wild Style. (Jan 4, 2024 TPCi Rules Team)

== FEINT ATTACK (Umbreon - SV: Obsidian Flames) <SV3_130>

Q. If I use Umbreon's "Feint Attack" on an opponent's benched Charizard ex, would the damage be blocked by Charizard ex's "Tera" trait or would it go through since "Feint Attack" ignores all effects on the opposing Pokemon?
A. Tera traits are considered effects on that Pokemon, so Feint Attack would get through it. (Jan 4, 2024 TPCi Rules Team)

== LOST MINE (Sableye - SW: Lost Origin) <SWSH11_70>

Q. If my opponent uses Mime Jr's "Mimed Games" attack and they don't have enough cards in the Lost Zone, can I choose Sableye's "Lost Mine" attack and if so what happens?
A. No, you may not choose that attack, you must select a different attack. (Feb 1, 2024 TPCi Rules Team)

== MIMED GAMES (Mime Jr. - SV: Paldean Fates) <SV45_31>

Q. If my opponent uses Mime Jr's "Mimed Games" attack and I also have a Mime Jr. in play, can I choose my "Mimed Games" attack, and if so what happens next?
A. No, you may not select Mimed Games if your opponent attacks with Mimed Games; you must select a different attack. And if your only Pokemon in play is Mime Jr., then your opponent's Mimed Games won't do anything. (Feb 1, 2024 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. If my opponent uses Mime Jr's "Mimed Games" attack and they don't have enough cards in the Lost Zone, can I choose Sableye's "Lost Mine" attack and if so what happens?
A. No, you may not choose that attack, you must select a different attack. (Feb 1, 2024 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. If my opponent uses Mime Jr's "Mimed Games" attack, what happens if I choose Pincurchin's "Follow-Up Kerzap" attack and the Mime Jr. didn't use "Stun Needle" during their previous turn?
A. Even if Mime Jr. had used Mimed Games to copy Stun Needle on the previous turn it did not use Stun Needle, it used Mimed Games. Therefore you cannot choose Follow-Up Kerzap if its conditions haven't been met; you must select a different attack. (Feb 1, 2024 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. If my opponent uses Mime Jr's "Mimed Games" attack and they have already used their VSTAR Power for the game, what happens if I choose a VSTAR attack to be copied?
A. Since they've already used their VSTAR Power you may not choose that attack, you must select a different attack. (Feb 1, 2024 TPCi Rules Team)

== OVERTHINK (Psyduck - SV: Pokemon 151) <SV35_54>

Q. I use Psyduck's "Overthink" attack to cause flips to be treated as Tails whenever your opponent flips a coin on the next turn. But if my opponent plays Will, which allows the player to choose the outcome of the first coin flip required for an attack, does my opponent get to choose heads for their first coin flip or is it still tails due to "Overthink"?
A. Overthink will cause the flip to be treated Tails regardless of Will, since Overthink is in effect whenever your opponent flips. (Jan 4, 2024 TPCi Rules Team)

== YOGA LOOP (Medicham V - SW: Evolving Skies) <SWSH7_83>

Q. I have Pokemon that were put into play during the turn I use Medicham V's "Yoga Loop" attack. I immediately get another turn from "Yoga Loop". Can I evolve those Pokemon during that new turn?
A. Yes, absolutely! If you take another turn after using Yoga Loop you have to do everything you would normally do as part of your turn, including evolving any Pokemon that were in play on the previous turn. (Jan 4, 2024 TPCi Rules Team)

TRAINER CARDS

== TECHNICAL MACHINE: EVOLUTION (SV: Paradox Rift) <SV4_178>

Q. In a Standard Format game I use "Technical Machine: Evolution" and the two Pokemon I choose are both Raichu. Does the game still recognize that Raichu BREAK exists despite it not being legal for play in that format, therefore allowing me to search my deck?
A. No, since Raichu BREAK is not currently legal in Standard Format you cannot attempt to search for it. (Jan 4, 2024 TPCi Rules Team)

== WILL (SM: Cosmic Eclipse) <SM12_208>

Q. I use Psyduck's "Overthink" attack to cause flips to be treated as Tails whenever your opponent flips a coin on the next turn. But if my opponent plays Will, which allows the player to choose the outcome of the first coin flip required for an attack, does my opponent get to choose heads for their first coin flip or is it still tails due to "Overthink"?
A. Overthink will cause the flip to be treated Tails regardless of Will, since Overthink is in effect whenever your opponent flips. (Jan 4, 2024 TPCi Rules Team)

ENERGY CARDS

== BOOST SHAKE (SW: Evolving Skies) <SWSH7_142>

Q. If I use Boost Shake to evolve Togetic into Togekiss, can I use Togekiss' "Precious Gift" ability, or does the effect of Boost Shake prevent me from doing so?
A. Precious Gift takes place at the end of the turn, so you still get to do it after using Boost Shake. (Jan 11, 2024 TPCi Rules Team)

== SPLASH ENERGY (XY: BREAKPoint) <XY9_113>

Q. If Veluza with the "Fillet Memento" Ability gets Knocked Out and has a Splash Energy attached to it, can I move the Splash Energy but still use its effect to return Veluza to my hand?
A. If you choose to move Splash Energy with Fillet Memento, Veluza will not be returned to your hand since it no longer has Splash Energy attached. (Jan 11, 2024 TPCi Rules Team)

GENERAL GAMEPLAY

== DECK

Q. If I receive cards in a Prerelease prior to the expansion set's release date, can I use cards from that set in a sanctioned tournament as long as those cards are reprints of already legal cards?
A. Per the current Play! Pokemon Tournament Rules Handbook you cannot use any new cards until the set is considered legal for tournament play (currently the 2nd Friday following that expansion's US market release date), however you can use a newer version of a reprinted card that is currently playable in the Standard or Expanded format immediately upon its official release. (Jan 25, 2024 TPCi Rules Team)
***** PREVIOUS RULING: THIS ONE HAS BEEN UPDATED; See Above *****
A. No, per the current Play! Pokemon Tournament Rules Handbook you cannot use those cards until the set is considered legal for tournament play (currently the 2nd Friday following that expansion's US market release date). (Aug 4, 2022 TPCi Rules Team)

Back