Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Compendium Updates for February 6th, 2020

PKM4

Compendium Publishing Assistant
Last edited: Thursday, February 6th, 2020
(Added February 6th Rulings)

xxxxxxxxx1xxxxxxxxx2xxxxxxxxx3xxxxxxxxx4xxxxxxxxx5xxxxxxxxx6xxxxxxxxx7xxxxxxxxx8

This edition of the Rulings Compendium includes:

|
|
* SW01: Sword & Shield Errata (January 9, 2020 TPCi Rule Changes announcements) --
* January 16th, 2020 -- No New Rulings!! --
* January 23rd, 2020 -- No New Rulings!! --
* January 30th, 2020 -- No New Rulings!! --
* SW01: Sword & Shield FAQ --
* February 6th, 2020 TPCi Rules Team Meeting -- (*) --

xxxxxxxxx1xxxxxxxxx2xxxxxxxxx3xxxxxxxxx4xxxxxxxxx5xxxxxxxxx6xxxxxxxxx7xxxxxxxxx8

----------------------------------------------------------------------
ERRATA

== ENERGY RETRIEVAL (Various sets; SW: Sword & Shield)

* The wording of Energy Retrieval is now as follows, "Put up to 2 basic Energy cards from your discard pile into your hand." (Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Announcements; Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== HYPER POTION (Skyridge; SW: Sword & Shield)

* The wording of Hyper Potion is now as follows, "Heal 120 damage from 1 of your Pokémon that has at least 2 Energy attached. If you healed any damage in this way, discard 2 Energy from it." (Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Announcements; Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== LUM BERRY (Emerald; Ruby & Sapphire; SW: Sword & Shield)

* The wording of Lum Berry is now as follows, "At the end of each turn, if the Pokemon this card is attached to is affected by any Special Conditions, it recovers from all of them, and discard this card." (Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Announcements; Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== PAL PAD (Flashfire; SM: Ultra Prism; SW: Sword & Shield)

* The wording of Pal Pad is now as follows, "Shuffle up to 2 Supporter cards from your discard pile into your deck." (Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Announcements; Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== PROFESSOR JUNIPER (BW: Black and White)
== PROFESSOR SYCAMORE (XY: X/Y)
== PROFESSOR'S RESEARCH (SW: Sword & Shield)

* In the Expanded format, there's already a rule that says you can't include Professor Sycamore and Professor Juniper in the same deck; players must choose one or the other. The same rule applies to Professor's Research, meaning it cannot be in the same deck as Professor Sycamore or Professor Juniper. (Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Announcements; Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== QUICK BALL (Majestic Dawn; Mysterious Treasures; SW: Sword & Shield)

* The wording of Quick Ball is now as follows, "You can play this card only if you discard another card from your hand. Search your deck for a Basic Pokémon, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck." (Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Announcements; Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== SITRUS BERRY (Unseen Forces; SW: Sword & Shield)

* The wording of Sitrus Berry is now as follows, "At the end of each turn, if the Pokémon this card is attached to has 3 or more damage counters on it, heal 30 damage from it and discard this card." (Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Announcements; Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

META-RULINGS

POKEMON ABILITIES

== MAKE DO (Cinccino - SW: Sword & Shield)

Q. For Cinccino's "Make Do" Ability, can I use it when I'm discarding a card as part of some action or effect?
A. No. Discarding a card from your hand is part of the cost of using the Ability. You can't use a discard done from some other effect or game action. (Sword & Shield FAQ; Feb 6, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. Can I use Cinccino's "Make Do" Ability to discard a card, then do other game actions such as play a Cynthia, and then finally draw the two cards later in my turn?
A. That's not how it works. You have to perform all of the actions of the Ability before moving on to other game actions. (Sword & Shield FAQ; Feb 6, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. Can I use Cinccino's "Make Do" Ability if there are no cards in my deck, just to discard a card?
A. No, you can't use Make Do if there aren't any cards left in your deck. (Sword & Shield FAQ; Feb 6, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== MORE POISON (Toxicroak - SW: Sword & Shield)

Q. If I have two Toxicroak in play with the "More Poison" Ability, will my opponent put 4 more damage counters on their Poisoned Pokemon?
A. Yes, because the Ability says to "put 2 more" and not "instead of". (Sword & Shield FAQ; Feb 6, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== PURE HEART (Keldeo GX - SM: Unified Minds)

Q. Say I have Keldeo GX already in play, and my opponent uses Latios GX's "Clear Vision GX" attack with Power Plant in play. If I play a different Stadium to get rid of Power Plant, can I use Keldeo-GX's "Resolute Blade GX" attack now?
A. Yes, you can. When Power Plant is removed Keldeo GX's Pure Heart Ability turns back on, and Keldeo GX is no longer hit by the global effect of Clear Vision GX. If an attack does not place an effect on Keldeo GX directly, like an attack that puts an effect that isn't removed when returning to the Bench, it can be removed by reactivating Pure Heart. (Feb 6, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. Say my opponent uses Trevenant & Dusknoir GX's "Pale Moon GX" attack on my Keldeo GX with "Pure Heart" while Power Plant stadium is in play. If I replace the Power Plant with another stadium during my next turn, does Keldeo GX get knocked out at the end of the turn or not?
A. If Keldeo GX remains the Active Pokemon it will be Knocked Out. Keldeo GX's Pure Heart Ability *prevents* effects, but it does not *remove* existing effects. If an attack like Pale Moon GX places an effect directly on Keldeo GX, that effect cannot be removed by reactivating Pure Heart; in other words, effects that are removed when returning to the Bench can't be removed by Pure Heart. (Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Rules Team; Feb 6, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

***** PREVIOUS RULING: THIS ONE HAS BEEN OVERRULED; See Above *****
Q. Say I use Trevenant & Dusknoir GX's "Pale Moon GX" attack on my opponent's Keldeo GX with "Pure Heart" while Power Plant stadium is in play. Then during my opponent's turn they replace the Power Plant with another stadium. Does Keldeo GX get knocked out at the end of the turn or not?
A. No, Keldeo GX does not get KO'd in this scenario. When Power Plant goes away Keldeo GX's Pure Heart ability activates, thus nullifying the Pale Moon GX attack's effect. (Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== RESETTING HOLE (Marshadow - SM: Unbroken Bonds)

Q. Say Sky Field is in play and I have 8 Benched Pokemon, then I use Marshadow's "Resetting Hole" Ability. Do I discard Marshadow first and then discard down to 5 Benched Pokemon for the removal of Sky Field, or do I discard down to 5 Benched Pokemon first and then discard Marshadow?
A. The player who owns Marshadow can choose the order of discarding Benched Pokemon, either before or after the removal of Sky Field. (Feb 6, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== UNTAMED SHOUT (Galarian Obstagoon - SW: Sword & Shield)

Q. If I use Rare Candy to play Galarian Obstagoon, can I use its "Untamed Shout" Ability to place 3 damage counters on my opponent's Pokemon?
A. Yes, because it is still being played from your hand. (Sword & Shield FAQ; Feb 6, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

POKEMON ATTACKS

== BEAK CATCH (Cramorant V - SW: Sword & Shield)

Q. If I use Cramorant V's "Beak Catch" attack, can I choose to fail to get any cards from my deck?
A. Only if there are no cards left in your deck. Since you can get any type of card, and it is known that you have cards in your deck, you must take at least 1 card if you are able to. (Sword & Shield FAQ; Feb 6, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== CLEAR VISION GX (Latios GX - SM: Unified Minds)

Q. Say I have Keldeo GX already in play, and my opponent uses Latios GX's "Clear Vision GX" attack with Power Plant in play. If I play a different Stadium to get rid of Power Plant, can I use Keldeo-GX's "Resolute Blade GX" attack now?
A. Yes, you can. When Power Plant is removed Keldeo GX's Pure Heart Ability turns back on, and Keldeo GX is no longer hit by the global effect of Clear Vision GX. If an attack does not place an effect on Keldeo GX directly, like an attack that puts an effect that isn't removed when returning to the Bench, it can be removed by reactivating Pure Heart. (Feb 6, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== COIL (Sandaconda - SW: Sword & Shield)

Q. If I used Sandaconda's "Coil" attack and my opponent retreats their Active Pokemon, do I still do an extra 120 damage to the new Defending Pokemon?
A. Yes. The attack states "your opponent's Active Pokemon". That is referencing any Pokemon that is in their Active Spot. (Sword & Shield FAQ; Feb 6, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== ELECTRO WHEEL (Morpeko V - SW: Sword & Shield)

Q. What happens if I use Morpeko V's "Electro Wheel" attack but I don't have any Benched Pokemon?
A. You still have to discard an Energy if you can, but since there are no Benched Pokemon to switch with, Morpeko V stays in the Active Spot. (Sword & Shield FAQ; Feb 6, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== OCTOLOCK (Grapploct - SW: Sword & Shield)

Q. Grapploct's "Octolock" attack says its effect can't be applied more than once. What does that mean?
A. It means that if the Defending Pokemon is already under the effect of Octolock you cannot do it again for an additional {C}{C} cost. In other words, it does not stack. (Sword & Shield FAQ; Feb 6, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. Can I use Grapploct's "Octolock" attack to a new Defending Pokemon if the previous one switches out?
A. If you use the attack again, yes. You just can't apply more than one Octolock effect to the same Defending Pokemon. (Sword & Shield FAQ; Feb 6, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== PALE MOON GX (Trevenant & Dusknoir GX - Promo)

Q. Say my opponent uses Trevenant & Dusknoir GX's "Pale Moon GX" attack on my Keldeo GX with "Pure Heart" while Power Plant stadium is in play. If I replace the Power Plant with another stadium during my next turn, does Keldeo GX get knocked out at the end of the turn or not?
A. If Keldeo GX remains the Active Pokemon it will be Knocked Out. Keldeo GX's Pure Heart Ability *prevents* effects, but it does not *remove* existing effects. If an attack like Pale Moon GX places an effect directly on Keldeo GX, that effect cannot be removed by reactivating Pure Heart; in other words, effects that are removed when returning to the Bench can't be removed by Pure Heart. (Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Rules Team; Feb 6, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. Say I use Trevenant & Dusknoir GX's "Pale Moon GX" attack on my opponent's Keldeo GX with "Pure Heart" while Power Plant stadium is in play. Then during my opponent's turn they replace the Power Plant with another stadium. Does Keldeo GX get knocked out at the end of the turn or not?
A. No, Keldeo GX does not get KO'd in this scenario. When Power Plant goes away Keldeo GX's Pure Heart ability activates, thus nullifying the Pale Moon GX attack's effect. (Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

TRAINER CARDS

== ENERGY RETRIEVAL (Various sets; SW: Sword & Shield)

* The wording of Energy Retrieval is now as follows, "Put up to 2 basic Energy cards from your discard pile into your hand." (Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Announcements; Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== HYPER POTION (Skyridge; SW: Sword & Shield)

* The wording of Hyper Potion is now as follows, "Heal 120 damage from 1 of your Pokémon that has at least 2 Energy attached. If you healed any damage in this way, discard 2 Energy from it." (Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Announcements; Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. Can I use Hyper Potion to heal a Pokemon with less than 120 damage on it or if I have less than 2 Energy attached to it?
A. You have to heal at least 10 damage to play the card. You must also have at least 2 Energy attached to the Pokemon you’re healing; if there are less than 2 Energy attached you cannot use this card. (Sword & Shield FAQ; Feb 6, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== LUM BERRY (Emerald; Ruby & Sapphire; SW: Sword & Shield)

* The wording of Lum Berry is now as follows, "At the end of each turn, if the Pokemon this card is attached to is affected by any Special Conditions, it recovers from all of them, and discard this card." (Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Announcements; Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== MARNIE (SW: Sword & Shield)

Q. Does a player need to offer a cut when shuffling something other than their deck, such as when playing Marnie?
A. Yes. The purpose of a cut is to reduce the opportunity for cheating; that applies anytime a player is randomizing their cards. (Feb 6, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== PAL PAD (Flashfire; SM: Ultra Prism; SW: Sword & Shield)

* The wording of Pal Pad is now as follows, "Shuffle up to 2 Supporter cards from your discard pile into your deck." (Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Announcements; Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== POWER PLANT (SM: Unbroken Bonds)

== PROFESSOR JUNIPER (BW: Black and White)
== PROFESSOR SYCAMORE (XY: X/Y)
== PROFESSOR'S RESEARCH (SW: Sword & Shield)

* In the Expanded format, there's already a rule that says you can't include Professor Sycamore and Professor Juniper in the same deck; players must choose one or the other. The same rule applies to Professor's Research, meaning it cannot be in the same deck as Professor Sycamore or Professor Juniper. (Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Announcements; Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== QUICK BALL (Majestic Dawn; Mysterious Treasures; SW: Sword & Shield)

* The wording of Quick Ball is now as follows, "You can play this card only if you discard another card from your hand. Search your deck for a Basic Pokémon, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then, shuffle your deck." (Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Announcements; Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== SITRUS BERRY (Unseen Forces; SW: Sword & Shield)

* The wording of Sitrus Berry is now as follows, "At the end of each turn, if the Pokémon this card is attached to has 3 or more damage counters on it, heal 30 damage from it and discard this card." (Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Announcements; Jan 9, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. If an attack would KO a Pokemon, can you use Sitrus Berry to heal it first?
A. No. KO's have to be resolved before the end of the turn, and Sitrus Berry heals at the end of the turn after KO's have been evaluated. (Feb 6, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. Can I use Sitrus Berry to heal damage received from Poison/Burn in between turns?
A. No, you cannot. Sitrus Berry only works at the end of a turn. (Feb 6, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

== SKY FIELD (XY: Roaring Skies)

Q. Say Sky Field is in play and I have 8 Benched Pokemon, then I use Marshadow's "Resetting Hole" Ability. Do I discard Marshadow first and then discard down to 5 Benched Pokemon for the removal of Sky Field, or do I discard down to 5 Benched Pokemon first and then discard Marshadow?
A. The player who owns Marshadow can choose the order of discarding Benched Pokemon, either before or after the removal of Sky Field. (Feb 6, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

ENERGY CARDS

== AURORA ENERGY (SW: Sword & Shield)

* The discard cost on Aurora Energy only applies when attaching the card from your hand. If you attach it from somewhere else, you don’t have to discard a card from your hand. (Sword & Shield FAQ; Feb 6, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

Q. Can you use Frosmoth’s "Ice Dance" Ability to attach Aurora Energy?
A. No. Because Aurora Energy does not count as any type while it is in your hand. (Sword & Shield FAQ; Feb 6, 2020 TPCi Rules Team)

GENERAL GAMEPLAY

Back