Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Confused about attacking when my Pokemon is confused

mysterioustrainer

Do you have to announce the name of an attack when you announce to attack before you flip for confusion?

This was a debate among judges and players at a Battle Roads in my area recently. Realistically in most cases there is very little significant advantage to the opponent whether or not a player's Pokemon is confused as one can pretty well predict which attack is coming from a Pokemon with two or more attacks on the card. I believe the attack name does not have to be revealed, however I wanted to resolve the debate once and for all.

Update to PokePop's question:
The minor advantage is for the opponent to know what you could have done, and it may decide his or her strategy in the long run. It's pointless I know because if the opponent really knew what on earth he or she was doing and could figure out how to prepare for the next time the confused pokemon attempts to attack (if possible) then realistically there should be no differance to whether or not the player of the confused pokemon reveals the name of an attack or not. In all I could see a possible difference if one attack attacks the bench and one attack attacks the active pokemon and the opponent had a max potion to use and wanted to plan where to play it. Even then it should not really matter. In all I am trying to figure out if the player of the confused pokemon reserves the right to keep the name of the attack confidential prior to the confusion flip.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing what the point is. Once you fail the flip, you're not doing the attack anyway.
If you succeed, you're still confused, you just get to do the attack.
Please explain what advantage there could be to changing an attack one way or the other.

Back