Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Confusion and Discarding energy.

Dro~

When a confused pokemon attempts to use a flamethrower kind of attack, is it supposed to check for confusion first then discard energy if the attack is successful? I'm not sure because the ruling for confusion has changed.

Can you use skyridge gengar's pokebody to return a neo discovery eevee and activate its pokemon power for each energy attach to eevee? Can I use light flareon's warm up to activate a benched eevee's energy evolution?

Last edited:
First you do anything that the attack requires you to do in order to use it (discarding energy), then you check to see if the attack fails because the pokemon is Confused.

I think the only thing changed about Confusion is that you can retreat a confused pokemon normally.

Dro~ said:
When a confused pokemon attempts to use a flamethrower kind of attack, is it supposed to check for confusion first then discard energy if the attack is successful? I'm not sure because the ruling for confusion has changed.

Yes, it works sort of like a Baby check. If you get heads you attack as normal, doing any actions required for the attack. If tails, place 3 damage counters. This is covered in both WotC and NOA rulebooks and the Compendium. It was retreating that required paying energy up front before success was decided, and only under WotC rules.

Dro~ said:
Can you use skyridge gengar's pokebody to return a neo discovery eevee and activate its pokemon power for each energy attach to eevee?

Nope, see below.

Dro~ said:
Can I use light flareon's warm up to activate a benched eevee's energy evolution?

Nope, the energy needs to be the energy attached from your hand that counts as the "one per turn" free energy placement.

Check the Compendium for stuff like this. Most of the questions that pertain to older sets were quite thoroughly covered.

Back