Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

consistency cards + staples

okay so what would you say would be the must have cards in every single deck in order to have consistancy? Here is my list correct me if i'm wrong...

DP on:
2 NM (and 3 pokemon or energy from discard to deck, no brainer here)
2 warp point (free retreat, screw up opponent [like stancing lucario], free stats heal)
2-4 call energies (just like a pachy but doesn't take up a space on you bench which helps vs dusknoir)
3-4 rare candy (unless you don't play stage 2s like blissy and lucario. You can still add for speed)

4 draw cards (POV or FD depending on if you want to discard cards or really need that 4th card)
4 bebe's
3-4 roseanne's

20 - 26 cards?
about 12-18 energies = 32 - 38 cards per deck.

so you get 28-22 cards to put in of you choice :)

BTW, I was going to say 2-2 claydol is also a staple. IDK how everyone else feels on that point. Other then turn 2 decks can any deck play without a claydol? I can't wait to read the comments!

Prence: In my decks I most often ALWAYS run a 2-2 Claydol for sure.
Night maintenance (gotta get your stuff back)
Rare candy (quick set up)
Bebe's (to get that darned stage 1 when you have the stage 2 and no RC!)
Stevens (love that card)
Rowan (I prefer it when I get those crappy draws off of Claydol)
I don't really use Warp Point much although my hubby does (he runs Empoleon a lot so it goes well with the snipping)
I like Plus Power or Strength charm for those pesky odd number HP
Call Energy is good but I don't use it as much as I probably should...depends on the deck I am running.

Stevens, Rowan, and Strength charm are getting rotated out of the modified format.

I think you are safe to say Claydol is a staple even for turn2 decks. I would also say PhioneMD is a staple starter so that would leave 16 to 21 for your choice of Pokémon lines.

Gengar...I know this and it really sucks because those are my fav. I will have to throw in Felicity and POV to replace Stevens and Rowan...and as far as strength charm...I never really used it, always used Plus Power. I do like Phione..great Pokemon!!

Someone suggested this question might be better seen in a strategy forum instead of a specific deck forum where the focus is on specific decks. I agreed. So, that being said, I think Claydol is very useful at the moment. Hopefully this trend will continue for a while.

my opinion on phione is simply, without dusknoir being so popular I'd say he's a staple as well. I was running 2 phiones with 4 mentors and 4 roseannes (i was playing salamence EX with typlosion). I know it might sound like over kill but once you get phione out you hardly need anything else. I EVEN DROPPED RARE CANDY BECAUSE IT WAS SLOWING ME DOWN. What good is candy when you already have stage1s? Plus after wish you play bebe's next turn and there is your stage 2. Plus I always got phione ALWAYS. 4bebe's 4 mentor 4 rose and 2 phione = 14 cards in my deck (nearily 25% of it) that can get me phione.

Then dusknoir arrived along with GG. They sat there and refused to kill my phione, i go in kill something and bye-bye goes salamence (gally scramble +power). I now play without a starter to counter dusknoir and it seems to work just fine. With claydol and call energy everything seems to work okay. A bit slower and a bit less fun but it does still work.

BTW
Rowan is in DP1 it's not being rotated out. I will look more closily into rowan you guys might be right he might be awsome!

Come on guys no one else has anything to say? What about claydol? Anyone have any ideas on how to make a deck excluding him? THe only option avaliable seems the ball energine. What do they do in ***?

I have at least one Team Galactic's Wager in each deck. Everyone has times when they have an awful hand and anything different must be better and the disruption to your opponent can be a real game saver. And if you do run Claydol then Wager is a must.

Rowan is getting rotated out?

I'd sya the only cards thats should be in almost every deck
are
3-4 Bebe's
2-4 roseannes
2 NM

and next format since there's no cess every single deck should run claydol in 2's or 3's

the rest really depends on the deck and what engine your going for who your starter is ect, but those would be the only staples in my mind

I prefer TSD over NM in certain decks (mainly rushdown decks). Not every deck likes Warp Point either. FUrthermore, drawingcards aren't everyone's favorite, some people prefer straight search (such as me). Then there are different engines as well...so yeah, there are no 100% "staples".

Back