Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Convention: Florida Extravaganza Jan 10th/11th

GymLeaderPhil

UPDATE: We will be running an extra Modified Tournament on Saturday and Sunday, even more of a reason to join us this weekend...

IMPORTANT: $9 dollars is the general admission price into the convention. The VIP Passes ($50 and $15) are not needed to enter, but have special early bird options. They are not required for entry, but the $9 dollar badge is the minimum for entry!

Convention: Florida Extravaganza 2004
General Info

Name: Florida Extravaganza 2004

Formats:
Modified Constructed (Sat, Sun at 10:00am)
Booster Draft (Sat, Sun at 1:00pm, 2:00pm. Sat at 3:00pm)
Pokemon Demo (During Normal Convention Hours)

Dates: Saturday January 10, 2004 and Sunday January 11, 2004

Hours: Saturday from 10:00am to 6:00pm
Sunday from 10:00am to 4:00pm

9800 International Dr.
Orlando, FL 32819

Convention Entry Fee:
$9 for Adults
$5 for Children 5-12
Free for Children under 5
For more information on Convention Tickets, scroll down

Organizer: Heidi Craig

Judges: Ron Roby, Bob Paxton, Steven DanDeventer, Phil McKinney

Demo Staff: Renee Martinez, Melinda Shroder

Staff: John Silvestro, Randy Curry

Contact: Email Heidi Craig at [email protected] or ask for Heidi Craig at 863-326-1788.

Convention Directions
From Tampa Florida (SOUTHWEST)
Take Interstate 4 east to the Beeline Expressway (exit 72)
East on Beeline Expressway to exit 1 (International Drive)
Go North (Right) approximately one mile to Convention Center*

From Miami Florida (SOUTHEAST)
via Interstate 95
Take Interstate 95 North to the Beeline Expressway (SR 528)
Go West on Beeline Expressway to exit 1 (International Drive)

via Florida's Turnpike
Take Turnpike North to Interstate 4 West
Go West on Interstate 4 to Beeline Expressway (SR 528)
Go East on Beeline Expressway to exit 1 (International Drive)

From Daytona Beach, Florida (NORTHEAST)
Take Interstate 4 West to the Beeline Expressway (SR 528)

From Gainesville, Florida (NORTHWEST)
Take Interstate 75 South to Florida's Turnpike
Go south on Florida's Turnpike to Interstate 4 West
Go West on Interstate 4 to Beeline Expressway (SR 528)

From Orlando International Airport (EAST)
Go West on Beeline Expressway to exit 1 (International Drive)

*Note: The Orange County Convention Center is located directly across the street from the Peabody Orlando Hotel.

International Drive is a very busy road, packed with hotels and Orlando Attractions. The Orange County Convention Center is just on the outskirts of this road near the Bee Line Expressway. If you exit on Interstate 4 to connect to International Drive it is highly recommended that you remain in the southbound lane in order to easily turn into the convention center parking lot. If you are running late the day of the tournament or you should get lost on the way to the tournament this is the only time you may ever call this number 863-258-2556. We highly suggest that you use a site like Expedia.com to find accurate directions from wherever you are traveling from.

Convention Entry/Ticket Information
If you have any questions regarding tickets and passes, please call 941-360-6666 or email FX Show Staff at [email protected]

V.I.P. Buyer Pass $50.00
This pass grants you admittance for the entire weekend, with other exclusive privileges! V.I.P. Passes are available for Advance Ticket Purchasing and are also available at the dealer registration tables during dealer setup. Advance Ticket Purchasing Available Order by calling: 941-360-6666. With this pass you will have exclusive access to the Exhibit Hall on January 9th during dealer setup from 2:00pm to 10pm. In addition you will also be able to enter three hours (7am) before the general public (10am) is allowed in on Saturday the 10th. On Sunday, you'll be able to enter the hall one hour (9am) before the general public (10am) is allowed.

Early Buyer Pass $15.00
This pass grants you admittance for the entire weekend, with special exhibit access! All 'General Admission' and 'Early Buyer' tickets are available at the box office windows. With this pass you will be able to enter the exhibit hall one hour (9am) before the general public (10am) is allowed in on Saturday the 10th.

General Admission Adults $9.00, Children 5-12 $5.00
This pass grants you admittance for one day of the show. All 'General Admission' and 'Early Buyer' tickets are available at the box office windows. Children Under Five (5) get in Free!

What to Bring
-Money for Convention Ticket and to enter events.
-Cards if you are playing in a constructed tournament.
-A die and some damage counters (if possible).
-Extra money for food and drinks.

Tournament Times
Modified Constructed Tournaments (Sat, Sun)
Registration will begin at 10:00am and will end promptly at 11:30am. The tournament starts at 11:45am. Anyone who shows up later will not be able to enter the tournament. Announcements and Rules will be announced shortly after Registration closes. The Tournament will run so many rounds depending on how many people attend, which means we have no specific times to give you for the end time.

Booster Drafts (Sat)
Registration will begin at 1:00pm, 2:00pm, and 3:00pm. The booster draft will start soon after those times. Anyone who shows up later may be able to enter another booster draft, but will not be able to enter into a booster draft that has already started. The tournament will run a set number of rounds depending on the amount of players in attendance.

Booster Drafts (Sun)
Registration will begin at 1:00pm and 2:00pm. The booster draft will start soon after those times. Anyone who shows up later may be able to enter another booster draft, but will not be able to enter into a booster draft that has already started. The tournament will run a set number of rounds depending on the amount of players in attendance.

Tournament Format, Structure, and Prizes
Saturday

Pokemon Modified Constructed
Date: Saturday, January 10, 2004
Tournament Starts: 11:45 am
Entry Fee: $10.00
Format: Modified Constructed
Prizes: For each player entered in the event, 3 Dragon Boosters will go towards prizes.
Event Description: Your deck may contain cards from Expedition through EX Dragons including Promos 001 and up made by Nintendo. Your deck must must be comprised of 60 cards and you will need damage counters and a die. A number of Swiss rounds will be played to determine top eight players. Top 8 will receive prizes as well as a few random prizes for other players. Preregistration is recommended because space is limited.

Pokemon Booster Drafts
Date: Saturday, January 10, 2004
Registration Times: 1:00 PM, 2:00 PM, and 3:00 PM
Entry Fee: $15.00
Format: Booster Drafts
Prizes: 1st - 3 boosters, 2nd - 2 boosters, 3rd - 1 booster, and 4th - 1 booster
Event Description: Each player will receive 6 booster packs to construct a 40 card deck.
You will compete with the deck you build from these boosters only. You will need some damage counters and a die. There will be three drafts throughout the day at the times listed above.

Sunday

Pokemon Modified Constructed
Date: Sunday, January 11, 2004
Tournament Starts: 11:45 am
Entry Fee: $10.00
Format: Modified Constructed
Prizes: For each player entered in the event, 3 Dragon Boosters will go towards prizes.
Event Description: Your deck may contain cards from Expedition through EX Dragons including Promos 001 and up made by Nintendo. Your deck must must be comprised of 60 cards and you will need damage counters and a die. A number of Swiss rounds will be played to determine top eight players. Top 8 will receive prizes as well as a few random prizes for other players. Preregistration is recommended because space is limited.

Pokemon Booster Drafts
Date: Sunday, January 11, 2004
Registration Times: 1:00 PM and 2:00 PM
Entry Fee: $15.00
Format: Booster Drafts
Prizes: 1st - 3 boosters, 2nd - 2 boosters, 3rd - 1 booster, and 4th - 1 booster
Event Description: Each player will receive 6 booster packs to construct a 40 card deck.
You will compete with the deck you build from these boosters only. You will need some damage counters and a die. There will be three drafts throughout the day at the times listed above.

For more information on this event and others check out the Official Pokemon Organized Play website at http://op.pokemon-tcg.com.

Pokemon TCG Demo
We will be running a Pokemon TCG Demo during normal convention hours in the hall. If you want to learn how to play the game, this is your best opportunity.

Food
The Orange County Convention Center has several dining options available. The Osprey Lounge, located in the central lobby, provides a relaxing atmosphere overlooking one of the exhibit halls while offering great food and a full bar. Throughout the building you will find food courts with diverse menu selections. Gourmet food carts also provide guests with a variety of interesting snacks.
In addition, International Drive has countless options for quick fast food and fine dining.

Parking
For attendees who plan on driving to the Orange County Convention Center, there are event specific parking areas that will be listed on overhead electronic signage on International Drive. The West Building parking lot can be accessed by either of two parking booths located at the east and west entrances off International Drive. The Canadian Court Parking Garage is located two blocks west on International Drive. Guests parking in the Canadian Court Garage will be shuttled to the FX event in the West Building. Parking fees are charged on a per entry basis. Tollbooth attendants cannot accept credit cards; please have cash ready to avoid delay.

$10.00 parking fee will apply to passenger vehicles
$15.00 parking fee will apply to oversized vehicles.
$5.00 parking fee will apply after 6:00 pm in the Evening.

The Florida Extravaganza Convention has offered a coupon for three dollars off of your parking fee. Click this link to print it out.

Hotels and Accommodations
Florida Extravaganza recommends these area hotels: http://www.fxshow.com/FXshowHOTEL.cfm

Last edited:
I'm assuming EX Dragon, mostly because it is the newest set and Heidi does have a bunch left from the Prereleases. I'll be sure to ask her...
-Phil

I'll be there! I go to the toy show every year and now its double the fun with a Poke tournament! Yay!

Well, conventions are always expensive, GenCon for one day of entry usually is around $50ish including your badge, tournament fees, food, and parking.

FX show per day:
$7 Parking (with coupon)
$9 FX Entry Fee
$10 Modified Tournament Fee

Around 26 dollars, not including food or booster drafts. But there is so much to see, a bunch of freebies, and alot to purchase aside from Pokemon cards. If your not busy, I'd make the trip to Orlando.
-Phil

It turns out I can go!!! I gotta spend my own money though... O well, I'm still gonna be there! I'll be wearing somthing that says Swampert EX if anyone will be lookingfor me! lol See ya there!!!
-Swampert

We will be running a second Modified Tournament on Saturday and Sunday following the end of the first Modified Tournament.

Our Demo Hours will run as followed:
Saturday 10am-3pm
Sunday 10am-3pm

Pokemon Organized Play has provided promotional cards to hand out at the Demo, so be sure to check out the demos and pick up a free promotional card!
-Phil

wondering if I can make it :p Would so own, then we can probably have have a draft after Modified tourneys like, in the parking lot! lol, will see...

lol, I got that strange itchy feeling in my head and hands are shaking some again... ;)

Last edited:
PokePop said:
Denorex works for that.

:p

lol, only soothes the nerves! :D nah, Dragon looks neat and R4jungle/Buster4j/whatevertheheyhewantstocallhimselfnow kinda got me interested in CCGs again when he was like, look at EX Storm/Dragon! omgz, 8th Edition Magic. So I'm bored at work and starting the research cycle again and getting the feel... ;)

Oooohhhh... let's see how adept you are at adapting to MODIFIED. It's so balanced, or was for a while, some rules changes but its all good and a challenge to all interested...

the E-on modified? Heh, you gotta remember who you're talking to :D Ranked 5th (buster was 1st) in draft worldwide once we played... I consider we should be able to pull it out of our... >X) Just need to talk to people, read up, idealize, apprentice, playtest, purchase 4 complete sets and go wild!!! (yeah right!) It'll just be like riding a bicycle again...

Back