Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Couple of breeding questions from a newb

chrataxe

So, I've started playing my games a bit more, mostly at work and what not when I have down time, and I've had a lot of interest in getting a more competitive VG league going. As a result, I've spent a lot of time lately getting ready to breed and reading on breeding and doing some trial runs. I've figured some stuff out thanks to some help you guys gave me last year and lots of research, but I'm definitely struggling a bit to understand some of the finer points.

I have about 40 dittos, covering pretty much all natures, and a handful that each have a perfect stat, covering each stat, most stats has 2-3 dittos with a 31 IV in that stat. I have all power items as well.

First, is there a specific order in which I should breed my stats? I know HP is the hardest to pass, so what I've been doing is to breed nature with a ditto, take the offspring, breed a 31 IV ditto with a power item on ditto and an everstone on the offspring. I then take that offspring that has one 31 and the nature and switch out the ditto for one with another 31 IV in a different stat and breed it with the latest of spring holding an everstone until I get an offspring with two 31's and the nature I need.This is where I become unsure. At this point, should I keep passing on other non HP IV's or is this where I should start forcing HP? Or, am I just putting way too much into this and it not matter? Also, at which point should I strive to stop breeding with ditto and start breeding with pokemon of the same species? I know it easier to breed between same species, but I start losing the ability to force new IV's. And, for most of the Pokemon I've been breeding, getting a female is pretty hard. So, am I better off forcing IV's longer with Ditto or quicker breeding with a female?

Breeding Metagross....just seems gross. Getting eggs take forever and they are gender-less....to state the obvious. What is the most effective way to breed Metagross (er, rather, Beldum). Is this just a painful experience I must endure process?

Is Lucario also another one of those "difficult" Pokemon to breed since Riolu can't be bred? I've managed to find a method to evolve Riolu VERY quick, but it is still a pain since I have to take time to evolve first.

I need a little help understanding passing moves. If I understand it correctly, I can't pass moves that my stage 2 can learn that my basic can't, correct? And, at what should I start breeding move? It seems like egg moves should probably be the first thing to get, even before natures and IV's, as should other moves that can be passed.

One last thing...can some one make (or point me to) a simple flow chart to show me the most effective way to breed. Something like this:

Egg moves->passed moves->nature->Spe->Att->.........etc

I'm sure I'll have tons more questions later.

Thanks for all of ya'lls help.

---------- Post added 03/13/2013 at 10:48 AM ----------

Oh yeah, hidden power...I just don't get it...

ok, lol- I will try to narrow down a few things for you on this. I will tell you what it is I do to pass on the IV's and Natures.

I start with a female with the nature I want. I put the Everstone on the female. I select any Ditto I need for the IV(s) I am wanting to pass on to the egg.
After I get an egg that hatches with the IV(s) and nature that is female, I then take out the female and Ditto. I swap out the Ditto with a second choice Ditto with the IV(s) I want that at least 2 of the IV's is the same plus one other IV that is not already being in the female offspring.
I breed the original female with the new Ditto to get a male offspring that has the IV(s) I want, but at least the two offspring will have something that looks like this for IV's:

male: 31/??/31/??/??/31
Female: 31/31/??/??/??/31

Then I will breed the two offspring, the female holding the Everstone for the nature. I have had results of Pokemon hatching with at least the 3 main IV's and Nature, but if you keep at it- you do eventually end up with 4 31 IV's + the Nature.

So- to break it down:

Ditto with IV+ Female with Everstone= female egg hatched/IV/Nature

Ditto2 with IV+ Male= male with IV

Egg female/nature/IV/Everstone + Egg male/IV + Power held item.

Both steps can be increased to happen faster if you have the Ditto's hold the power Items, and also with the Male.

Egg moves are passed down by the male, so have the male with the egg move your wanting to pass down breed onto the male at the start of the main breeding section above, so you have a male with the egg moves when you get the two offspring ready to breed together to also pass on the IV's and Nature.
Be carefull to not put a male in the breeding with egg moves that is at a low level, as it will level up fast and you will lose the egg move. Your best bet is to use a male that is already "move set", meaning at a level it either:
A- has to much experiance to gain and levels before learning a new move,
B- you can reteach the move by way of TM, or
C- in the Pokemon's move set, place the move your wanting to pass on is at the bottom of the list so that if it does learn any moves in the day care, it will not get replaced as it is the 4th move down and the game will only remove the moves from top to bottom in order.

I will edit in a bit more info when I have the time, hope what I have helps so far...............

Last edited:
Here is a calculator for IV/EV determination. Hidden Power will be shown as for the type and it's power level:
http://www.serebii.net/games/iv-calcdp.shtml

There are other calculators you can use, I use this one out of habit since it is the first ever one I was aware of and it is the first one that comes to mind about this subject.

The Metalkid calculator is a good one. I dunno if we're allowed to link to it, but just googling something like "metalkid iv calc" works. They also have a good hidden power calculator if you know your IVs, or the hidden power you want to get.

Also, just to add to this. Getting the Pokemon to LV 50 is also a great way to figure out their IVs as well. Ether put them in daycare, rare candy or do a link battle with a friend or a way to auto level them.

Is there any wayto pass down abilities. My friend has a drizzle politoed that he wants to try and breed a poliwag with its hidden ability for me but we dont know how

To pass down abilities the female must be the one with the ability you want and being a dream world ability it is only a 60% chance(non dream world abilities are passed from the female with 80% rate). Since it must be a female you can not breed with a ditto, but any water goup1 should do (if the politoed is female).

I to need a female Politoed /sigh, but im just grinding up the dream points as its something ill have to do anyway.

Yeah i dont have time to grind the points so i asked a friend if he could get one, because no ones trading them on GTS(wouldhave thought i had a drizzle politoed before 1 of every legendary(2 arceus)) Thanks for the help

Back